Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Wonderlust

Prologue 


April 1504

Screams rang out midst the chaos of battle, dark green trees bathed in a fiery glow as a village burned in flames.
 
Captain Gervasio's men had the village surrounded. Indigenous people wildly swinging at the armored Portuguese soldiers were quickly mowed down by rifle fire or sword.

 At the centre of the village the elder chief was on his knees, hands bound as Gervasio stood towering over him sword drawn, his armored chest plate bore signs battle and his sword dressed in fresh blood.

"Four years we have lived along side your people, we bring trade and wealth, teach you the ways of our world across the sea, yet you do not repay us" Gervasio's voice was full of frustration, He closed his eyes and let out a sigh, then lowered himself down on one knee, his eyes were as dark as night as he stared into the Elders eyes. " Where is the seed of heaven ? Is it really worth the lives of your people? yourself? "

The elder slowly raised his head " First you must find the temple. And once inside it a man must face many trials, only then is a man deemed worthy".

Gervasio quickly stood up in anger, stabbed his sword into the ground and reached for his pouch, he pulled out a rolled up damaged and burned piece of parchment, un-rolled it and read aloud,

And bathed in golden light, Viracocha held out his hands and upon them lay the seed of heaven, of which he gave man his duty to protect."

Gervasio with his free hand grabbed the elder around the throat  "where is it? Who was Viracocha? I know you hide this treasure, we could all reap these rewards!" 

Forcing out words the elder spoke " they are watching."

"who is watching you dog" said Gervasio as he tightened his grip. 

"the....guardians".

The elder chief began to slip unconscious.  in frustration Gervasio gripped his sword and pulled it from the earth, he plunged the blade into the body of the elder killing him instantly, the lifeless body fell to a heap on the ground.

Suddenly the sound of a horn waved over the burning village and all fell silent. 

"what was that?" demanded the general. His men began to look nervous and a few of them through squinted eyes tried to make out movement  in the tree line.

The sounds of screams and terror suddenly reached Gervasios' ears, but these were not the screams of the villagers, these screams came from his own men.

" Form up!" barked the general in a panic stricken voice, But it was too late, huge jaguars twice the size of large dogs began emerging from the jungle , fur of pure black velvet and eyes a blazing yellow, they attacked the soldiers, jumping up and mounting their backs, biting and clawing the men to death.  Shots rang out and the cry of men came to an end.

Gervasio with a shaking hand held up his sword before an approaching jaguar. The jaguar stopped before him but the only thing that he could focus on were the blazing yellow eyes of this magnificent animal.  A petrified Gervasio stood in complete shock, jaw slackened as this great jaguar began to manifest itself into human form right before his eyes. In an un-natural movement the body clicked into place and a tall olive skinned muscular man stood before the horror struck Captain , the warrior's shoulders were draped in a jaguar pelt and he wore brown cloth around his waist.


 Gervasio dropped to his knees as the warrior withdrew a blade.

" That's apparently how the Legend goes anyway, I believe there is more to this story but we will discuss that tomorrow"

With a heavy thud Brent closed the book and looked up as the entire lecture room sat in silence.

"That's all we have time for today guys i'm afraid." 

The students began shuffling books and opening bags as they packed away there odds and ends. 
 "Tomorrow...same time, don't be late!" bellowed Brent over the noise.

The lecture room resembled that of an amphitheater, rows of seating rising up and curving around the room all to focus on the star of the show, or in this case, the professor. Green worn leathers, dark wood fittings and the smell of fresh paper gave it the old English feel.

Brent was in his early thirties, he looked slightly older but he always blamed that on his time in the military.
 He kept his hair short and his clothes pressed, some habits stay with you for life. 

Brent yawned as he clipped his briefcase closed, it had been a long week, but history was his passion and he loved nothing more than talking to people about it, once he started a lecture, his enthusiasm was often contagious, there was no hiding his thirst for adventure, it had been seven years since he was dishonorably discharged  as an officer in the British special forces. 

As Brent turned to leave the room something caught his eye. 
 A man was sitting somewhere near the back row, silent, his eyes slightly glinting. 
It was darker towards the back of the room and Brent could hardly make him out, he seemed to be wearing a black suit and his hair and beard were grey.

"Um the lecture finished ten minutes ago, can I help?" 

A short awkward silence was broken when the man spoke,
"Maybe you can professor, I would like to talk to you about a very unique job opportunity". 


© 2014 Wonderlust


Author's Note

Wonderlust
Feedback welcome

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

92 Views
Added on August 7, 2014
Last Updated on August 12, 2014


Author

Wonderlust
Wonderlust

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom



Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Wonderlust