Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Wonderlust

1


Brent's eyes narrowed slightly  "What sort of job?" he said.

The man stood up out of his chair and straightened his tie, he then began to descend from the back of the hall, his footsteps amplified by the empty room. 

The grey haired man was an imposing presence, tall and wise looking, he had a weathered face but his sharp suit indicated wealth, however Brent wasn't the sort of man to feel intimidated.

With an outstretched hand the man introduced himself, "my name is Mr Quinn".

"Brent".. "Brent McCabe".

Mr Quinn's lip curled into a smile "yes" he said, "yes I know who you are professor, I have been following your work for some time".

"Is that so?" said Brent in a suspicious tone.

" You see, you and I are very much alike" said Quinn, " I have dedicated most of my life to the wonders of history, I have spent many of my younger years travelling the world trying to find answers to questions that were never answered. Of course I am too old for that now, I simply pay people to do it for me. "

He paused, Brent seemed slightly more interested.

"And here's me thinking you were trying to sell me a new suit" said Brent.

"Ah yes, quite the humorist" replied Quinn.

" I am one for getting to the point professor so I shall get to it."

Quinn put his hand into his inside jacket pocket and removed an envelope, the smile was gone and now Mr Quinn wore a more serious expression.

"I want you to take a look at these" he said.

Brent took the envelope which was already open and looked inside, he gently shook the contents into his open hand and three photographs fell out into his palm.

 The first photograph was black and white showing grid lines like a map with numbers at the ends. In the centre of the photograph was a slightly blurred outline of squares and building like formations surrounded by what looked like a jungle canopy. Brent assumed this was Ariel photography, he had used many photographs like this during his time in the military. He didn't say anything, just moved on to the next photograph.

The second photograph was of a clearing in a jungle village, a small indigenous man wearing an ornate head dress and body paint stood looking at the camera, he didn't look like he was in any mood for guests. Next to him stood a somewhat larger man of olive skin. He had a thick black mustache and wore cargo pants and a black polo shirt, he looked like some sort of private security contractor thought Brent.  On his hip was a pistol holster, Brent slowly looked up.

" why is this man armed?" asked Brent.

" Just a precaution, there are active illegal de-forestation projects ongoing in that area" replied Quinn.

Brent looked down and moved on to the last photograph. He felt a surge of excitement as his eyes met the image, but he didn't let on.

The photograph was of a circular doorway carved into rock, at the centre of the doorway was a large open-mouthed face surrounded by intricate symbols and writings. The doorway was illuminated by a high powered light and a few people could be made out to be holding or using various gadgets, One person in particular stood out, a beautiful blonde woman stood in the side of the picture talking to someone. She looked as tired as her clothes did but her beauty could not be missed.

Brent felt Quinn's eyes burning into him. "Do you know what you are looking at professor" said Quinn.

" Something tells me this is the temple of Viracocha? but surely not, as the temple was said to be destroyed by Portuguese  conquistadors in the 1500's?"



© 2014 Wonderlust


Author's Note

Wonderlust
Chapter in progress.. (Un-finished)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

85 Views
Added on August 12, 2014
Last Updated on August 12, 2014


Author

Wonderlust
Wonderlust

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom



Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Wonderlust