The mark

The mark

A Chapter by once upon a time

Today was the day that the king and queen were going to make the announcement about their baby boy. No one even knew his name yet.
          Everyone in the entire kingdom was gathered around the castle, including phoenix's parents. They all wanted to hear the news. Had their new prince been gifted? Or had The gift been given to someone unworthy.
          The king and queen walked out onto a large balcony and everyone was quiet. The king spoke in a loud booming voice that could be heard throughout the whole kingdom.
          He repeated the prophecy that everyone knew by heart. " A child born on the 5th of may will be given immense powers like none have ever seen before." Everyone waited.
         " A child has been gifted." They all sighed in relief.
         " That child, is not your prince." The whole crowd gasped for they had been sure the prince would be the gifted child.
         "The prophecy has been fulfilled right here in cantalania. We do not know of another child born on the 5th. If anybody knows who the child is we ask you to come forth and share what information you have. One day a great danger will come and he,or she, will be the savoir; the only one that can stop it."  
         Phoenix's parents looked at each other. If the king and queen had everyone looking for the gifted child, they would find phoenix and take her away from them.
          They had no proof that it was phoenix but after the next few months, they knew it was her. All it took was the little things to confirm their suspicions.
          Phoenix wasn't just a gifted child. She had been and always would be different.
          Both her hair and eyes were bright red. It was that which inspired her name because she reminded them of the bird of fire which, like her, was magical. People often whispered, but she never noticed. Phoenix had been born deaf. Her parents found ways to communicate with her but it was difficult.
          She refused to speak to anyone, even her own parents.
        To them she was a gift no matter what. To the rest of the village, she was considered disabled.
          The bright side was no one suspected that phoenix was the gifted child because good things aren't given to those who are "handicapped."
          The problem was that the search had at least doubled over the past years.
         Her parents felt guilty keeping her a secret when people were looking for her. They knew that when she was needed, she would help. They just didn't want to lose her before they had to.
          Phoenix got up and immediately went to the market like she does every morning. She went up to one of the tables, pointed at the apples and held up the number 3.
          While he was putting them into a small paper bag, she looked around; There were a lot more guards in the village that she had seen before. She knew they were looking for someone but she didn't know who, not like it was easy for people to tell her anything.
           As she was walking home, the bag broke and the apples spilled out onto the ground.
           When she bent over to pick them up, everyone started screaming, some in shock, some with joy. " It's her, She's got the mark!"
           Everyone was shouting. Of course phoenix couldn't hear them so she didn't notice anything was wrong. That is, until the guards started charging at her.
           With everyone screaming at once, she couldn't tell what anyone was saying.
         The guards grabbed her and started taking her to the castle. She looked around, wondering what could she do.
          So many questions ran through her head. What did they think she had done? Why were they taking her to the king and queen? What were they going to do to her when they got there? Would she be able to tell them she was innocent? would they care?



© 2012 once upon a time


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

SWEET and again I'm even more curious your writing just gets me you totally grasp my attention TELL ME WHERE IS THE NEXT ONE?

Posted 11 Years Ago


once upon a time

11 Years Ago

Got the next chapter up, FINALLY haha! Sorry it took so long! :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 23, 2012
Last Updated on December 23, 2012


Author

once upon a time
once upon a time

CO



About
I tend to be really quiet unless I'm around those who really know me. I spend most of my time on the computer and watching tv although I spend a lot of that computer time reading and writing. Even th.. more..

Writing