September 1995

September 1995

A Chapter by #SecretWriter

September, 1995 
My story starts when I move into 26 Farcry road. I don't have many boxes or very much furniture. Just a car full of my things and my suitcase full of clothes. The small amount of furniture that I could find is already in my new abode.

I iron my clothes, ready for tomorrow, with no chest of drawers and no wardrobe I decide to hang them between the living room and the small kitchen. My small tv, with its bent antenna, makes a frequent cracking sound as it delivers such poor quality. One day I'll decorate this place and call it a home. The old cream wall paper is faded and peeling in the corners and the kitchen is, I'm grateful to have a kitchen.

I use humble terms, such as rustic, to describe my new bathroom. Its cold and the water takes a while to heat up, but I have hot water and that's what matters.

The carpet is so old that in some corners it resembles a thick layer of dust and in the hallway lives an old Grandfather clock which my friend Caroline loves. When we first viewed the house we were told we could throw it out if we wanted. Caz looked as if she could punch the landlord. She saw a valuable and beautifully crafted clock, he saw firewood and metal for the scrapyard.

Liam had no complaints about the house as the rent is cheap and he has a big enough room. I remember him saying something about being able to fit in all his stuff and having room to work out and then he started talking about something else. Liam and Caz are both good at that, their conversations move so fast that I can leave the room without them noticing.

Its my first night in this house alone so I decide to make the most of having the bathroom to myself. I turn on the hot tap, it takes a while to warm up and as the bath fills I dust the living room and the kitchen, its only common sense to dust before I unpack everything. That's when it occurse to me. I'm all alone for what could be the last time in a long time.

Lets be daring. In the kitchen I drop my clothes on the spot. My naked feet are touching the naked stone floor, the stones are a little bit greasy but I started dusting so I should finish. Note to self, I need to shave my legs, before Caroline has a field day joking about what I'm trying to grow on them or what animals will be living here.

I walk up the stairs, dashing past any window I might be seen through. This was a great idea.  I reach the bathroom and add some cold water to my first bath in my new home. Everything is perfect. Anney the optimist, one of Caroline's nicer snipes at me. I can hear her saying it when she isn't even here. I step into the bath and get comfortable as I finally have time to relax.

The grandfather clock ticks away the night and clangs declaring whatever time it is. As I begin to relax and the ticking grows softer, almost melodic, it fades into the distance, or I grow distant as my eyes grow heavier in the bath. My vision of the rustic bathroom disappears and I am reminded of what peace feels like.

Suddenly its dark and I'm outside the kitchen. Its sudden and yet its been dark for a long time, the grandfather clock is in place and ticking and the old carpet is fresh under my feet. The house smells different. I can smell something baking in the oven and I am walking towards the cellar door.

I open the cellar door and stare as if waiting for something to happen. Nothing moves, no sound is made and after more than enough hesitation I run down the creaking wooden stairs.

An ear piercing scream erupts from down the stairs and I jump up in my bath, water spilling onto the floor. I'm cold and wet, the door is unlocked. As I jump up I grab my towel and look outside the bathroom to see nothing in the hallway. Still in broad daylight and I'm shaking. The scream came from downstairs and in a moment I decide I would rather lock myself in my bedroom than in the bathroom.

I dash for my room and slam the door. I need to put some clothes on. I grab the nearest thing I can find and pull it on. I'm still half wet and there isn't a single sound coming from the house. No wind outside and not a noise from a single neighbour. How can I leave this room.

I wish Caroline and Liam were here. I wouldn't have even came here if it wasn't for them. In my eagerness I moved into this house before I should have. The telephone line is yet to be installed and I'm alone in this freaky village in this creaky house.


© 2014 #SecretWriter


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

158 Views
Added on January 13, 2014
Last Updated on January 13, 2014
Tags: cellar, horror, murder, diary


Author

#SecretWriter
#SecretWriter

Rochester, Kent, United Kingdom



About
Most of my characters have a dark secret, an evil plan or are just bat-s**t crazy. I'm new to most types of writing but enjoy it as often as possible. I might be a little bit crazy, but anyone w.. more..

Writing