Chapter 6

Chapter 6

A Chapter by Megan Simpson

I find myself wondering about Kas as I wait for the doctor to help me change rooms. She said there was a “warning” that those guys were supposed to give me. But what could she possibly have to tell me that she couldn’t say herself?

I can’t ask her about it; she’d know I was there. John clearly knows something, but I can’t seem to get a straight answer out of him. But if I could somehow get in touch with the guys Kas spoke to… Yes, that is definitely the way to go. I just need to ask John, although I’m not sure how to get in touch with him.

Suddenly, I remember what he told me last night. He said he wasn’t sure when I’d see him again. I shake my head. Figuring out what Kas’s warning is may take longer than I expected.

Carol's voice jolts me out of my thoughts, "Ready to go?"

I nod and she helps me out of my bed. My legs and head ache from all the walking last night, but I don't complain. In fact, I even try my best to hide any facial expressions that could possibly let Carol know I was in pain.

"Do you feel okay enough to walk all the way there?" she asks. "It's just right upstairs, and we'll take the elevator."

"Yeah, I'll be fine," I lie with a smile.

"Great!" she exclaims, leading me slowly and cautiously toward the elevator.

There are only two other people in the elevator with us, and they smile at us. That's odd, I think, Nobody noticed me yesterday.

The elevator dings and we step off onto the third floor of the building. Carol leads me down a short hall and into my new room.

It's much more spacious than the other room and there aren't nearly as many monitors and machines. There is a small couch and a few extra chairs, which makes me think that the two visitors at a time limit will not apply here.

"Better, right?" Carol comments when she notices my stunned expression.

"Much better," I agree with a smile.

Carol helps me into my new bed and whispers before she leaves, "One of your friends requested you be put in this particular room. Not sure who or why, but I still figured you'd like to know."

"Was is a short girl or a tall guy?" I ask. Those are the only two friends of mine that I've met so far, so it was most likely one of them.

"I only know this because Valerie from the front desk told me. I could ask her, if you like?" she suggests.

"No, no," I object. "It's fine, don't worry about it." She smiles and leaves me alone in my new room without another word. I sigh. As if forgetting my entire past wasn't bad enough, now even more mysteries are being thrown onto me.

I have so many questions, but I don't know who to ask. I ponder my options: John may have answers, but even if he does tell me them, he'll say them in such a confusing way that I just end up having more questions than I started with. Kas definitely has some answers, but may not tell me. My parents probably know next to nothing about the matter at hand.

It's not a solid plan, but I decide to go with Kas. I'll talk to her until John comes back and can tell me who the guy are. Then I'll talk to them.

I sigh at all the possible things that could go wrong in my sloppily thought out plan, but I ring the buzzer that calls my nurse in anyways.

As I wait, I change my mind back and forth about what I'm about to do approximately ten times. But as Carol walks in with a concerned expression, I know it's what I need to do.

"When is Kas coming back?" I ask and Carol looks confused.

"Kasarna Liang?" she confirms and I nod. "I'm not sure, sweetie. She just came yesterday, you know."

"I know, but I kinda need to talk to her," I admit.

"Hmmmm," Carol mumbles. "You could call her?"

"That would be great!" I agree with more excitement than necessary.

"There's a phone on the stand beside you, I'll look up her number for you." She smiles warmly before exiting my room.

What a relief, I think. Apparently, I am not very patient. Waiting did not seem like a great option.

Carol returns quicker than expected and offers to dial the number for me. I tell her I can do it and thank her. I hastily punch in the numbers written on the paper and wait anxiously as it rings.

"Hello?" she answers on the third ring.

"Uh, hi. It's Melody," I tell her uncomfortably.

"Oh, okay. Hi. This is Kas," she replies in an equally uncomfortable manner.

"Yeah, I know. I called you."

"Right, um. Is everything okay?"

"Yeah. Well, no," I say. "Uh, well. Okay. So, you know how I, like, forgot everything?"

"Yes, Melody. I'm aware of this," she sighs impatiently.

"Yeah, well, I didn't actually forget everything."

"What?!"

"Yeah, I know. I remember one boy. He's tall and thin with curly brown hair and glasses and green eyes and-"

"Oh no," Kas mutters.

"The thing is, I met him. Last night. He came into my room at like one in the morning and we got out of the hospital and went into these hill things for, like, four hours," I tell her in a whisper.

"God, Melody. Please, please, please, tell me you're joking right now," she begs.

"I'm not!" I groan. "Anyways, he wouldn't tell me his actual name but he said to call him John."

"Oh no," she mutters again.

"So, do you know him?" I ask hopefully.

She breathes deeply before saying, "No."

"Yes, you do," I say in a sing-songy voice. Then add, "And what was the warning?"

"The what?"  she asks sweetly, clearly hoping she misheard me.

"Warning. That you talked about last night with those guys."

"You were there. Of course," she mumbles sarcastically. "The warning was to stay away from John, okay?"

"I thought you didn't know him," I reply smugly.

"I thought you knew I was lying," she says in the same tone.

"Fine," I sigh. "And why should I stay away from him?"

"Not important. Just trust me. And tell me if you see him again."

"No. Tell me why."

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Yes."

"Goodbye, Melody," she sighs as she hangs up.

I close my eyes tight and put the phone back onto the desk. I sigh. Well, that's one question answered. But of course, now I have another- and it's the same question I seem to always have- Why?


© 2014 Megan Simpson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Piquing my interest. Good so far. No obvious errors in the writing.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
1 Review
Added on May 13, 2014
Last Updated on May 13, 2014
Tags: amnesia, amnesiac, melody, john, remember, forget, car crash, head injury


Author

Megan Simpson
Megan Simpson

Fresno, CA



About
My Upcoming Work: ~ I am continuing to work on my novel, Remember. ~ I have various poetry/ six word stories to post. ~ I am currently writing a few historical fiction short stories that I will pos.. more..

Writing
6 Words 6 Words

A Chapter by Megan Simpson


10 Words 10 Words

A Chapter by Megan Simpson


9 Words 9 Words

A Chapter by Megan Simpson