Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by M. Anne

A tall dark figure rose out of the shadows at daybreak, and breathed in the crisp air. Today would be the day. By the innocent eye, he looked to be just a wandering traveler, but more sinister deeds than mere wandering were hidden behind his opal eyes. They were warm, kind eyes; at least by sight they were, surprisingly for he did not plan to be nice and kind on this day. No, he had far greater, more memorable plans for this day. His mountain hide-a-way was filled with contraptions of unknown origins, for doing certain tasks very few knew of. He would use these devices for revenge, as well as, what he would call, helping the world. He had to be quick with his work, not because he would be discovered, that wouldn’t happen this far away from civilization, but his own impatience drove him to be so. The world was crumbling, the land falling to pieces down a deep, dark path. Ever since the war, no rest had come for Irasia’s inhabitants. Hostilities between elves and men, the losers and the winners, drove the land to the breaking point. He swore he would fix it. This warm eyed man would do anything for this land. Anything.

 

Darian parried hard against his companion and combatant in the arena. There were no jeering crowds of gamblers here to witness the killing for sport and royals, the currency of the land. Darian wasn’t foolish enough to join the gladiator league. He only fought till the first blood. Anything else was murder. His opponent, a lean blond young man with a childish face was his best friend Calmur, who he had fought against dozens of times, and who most often won. Calmur tried some quick fancy moves to please the small audience, and Darian saw his chance. Calmur’s arm stuck out undefended. The tip of Darian’s slightly blunted sword slashed it swiftly, and a moist rouge trail followed shortly after. Calmur looked down at his arm surprised.

“Well, that was unexpected!” He looked up at Darian with a sheepish grin.  Darian slapped his friend’s shoulder as they exited the arena.

“You are pathetic on many occasions Cal!” He laughed at his friend. “That swordplay you were doing is pointless. When in a real fight are you honestly going to think to do that?” Calmur shrugged while tying a cloth around his arm with his teeth.

“Who knows? I don’t plan on getting into fights I can’t run away from. Besides, the gamblers seemed bored. I’m just giving the people what they want.” Darian snorted to keep from laughing.

“The people want money, and they probably lost some because of you. Do you want to go back and pay them?” Calmur chuckled.

“I think I’ll survive if I didn’t.” Darian raised his eyebrows at his friend.

“Suit yourself. Come, let’s get cleaned up.” The two headed for the bathhouse but were cut off by a messenger boy.

“Sir,” He motioned to Darian, “your father is calling for you.” Darian sighed.

“Thank you. Tell him I will be arriving shortly,” he turned to Calmur, “sorry.” Cal shook his head.

“I understand, go, and talk to your father in the fancy council hall. I have to go to a meeting too.” Darian looked at him in sarcastic disbelief. Cal continued. “Seriously. I have a meeting in the tavern, with a fine lady.” He grinned and walked off. Darian chuckled at him, wishing he could join him.

Calmur and Darian were in different classes. Calmur was a commoner, whereas Darian was a noble. They hardly even remember it, except when Darian’s father called for him, no doubt for another errand. Ever since Darian’s mother died, his father Cameron had developed a strange obsession with trading. He couldn’t actually go himself because he was on the city council, so Darian did his chores.

Darian weaved in and out of crowds when he reached the market street. The vendors shouted their excellent prices at him, but Darian ignored them. His father would be testy enough without Darian running late.

The council hall was located in the center of Veloryn, inside the palace. The palace was enormous, towering over everything. Darian sighed. He hated the palace, loathed it really. Its massive size and grandeur architecture was just too pompous. Darian walked through the servants’ entrance in the back to reach the chamber quicker. Luckily none of the servants were working at that time; Darian didn’t think he could handle any elves at the moment. He walked swiftly down the corridor to the hall. His father’s study was the last door from the hall entrance. Darian took a deep breath before walking in, sensing a new task for him. Darian’s steps sounded noisily in the quiet room until they halting in front of Cameron, who looked too sour to be glad his son was here.

“You called?” Darian rolled his eyes at his father while he talked. Cameron had his nose buried in papers and didn’t look up.

“Yes, I have an errand for you to run.” He continued to look down. “You need to go see Gailen for me in Candor. He just finished a new collection. He cannot travel here this time, so you must go to him.” Darian sighed again.

“When do I leave?” He asked unenthusiastically. This time Cameron looked up into Darian’s eyes.

“As soon as possible.” He said emotionless, as if to errand-boy. He turned back to his work, which was the symbol that this conversation was over. Darian bowed like a servant to his own flesh and blood.

“Yes father.” He replied with a stolid tone.  He turned and walked out through the main doors, trying to control his emotions. He dare not release them. The moment he stepped out, he allowed only a simple phrase to be uttered to reveal his reaction to his orders. His voice a low whisper.

“Damn it!” And he stormed off, to find Cal and tell him that he couldn’t join him in the tavern later. When Cameron says, “as soon as possible,” he really means,  “yesterday”. If Darian didn’t leave soon, Cameron would track him down and publicly humiliate him. It was not a very noble thing to do, so Darian tried to prevent it from happening whenever possible to not draw too much attention to his family. His father may not know what dignity is, but Darian surely wouldn’t forget it. The last thing he wanted was to hear his name whispered around. Darian was too lenient to handle being the center of attention.

Cal was in his favorite tavern, like he said before, but there wasn’t a fine lady this time. Darian sulked over to his table, certainly not in a glorious mood.

“Hey mate! Care to join me? Rana had to leave to care for her mother, so no one has been here to help me drink.” He held up his half empty tankard. Darian smirked. This is was his best friend. Sometimes I wonder what I was thinking. He thought to himself. He sat down slowly at the opposite end of the table.

Cal, I can’t today. My father’s given me another task.” Cal took a swig before replying.

“Oh, I see. Well I guess you can’t just say ‘no’ can you.” He finished his drink.

“Don’t be like that. He’s my father.” Cal chuckled.

“He should act like it every once in a while. Honestly, sometimes I think you really are a commoner, the way he barks orders at you. Like a servant.” Darian rolled his eyes but the last sentence still bit a piece out of him. Cal wasn’t finished though. “Less than a servant really. A slave. You are your own father’s slave. Family duty is forcing you mate. You need to free yourself.” Darian looked down at his hands, taking his friend’s words to heart finally.

“We’re all each other have left.” He got up to leave. “Enjoy your drink Cal.” He said as he left to pack for Candor.

 

Tristan watched her as she tucked a strand of her auburn hair behind her pointed ears. Her beauty was almost painful for him. Such a fair thing, and so far from reach. Her smile could awaken feelings within him he hardly thought could live in such a dark place. He’s been happy before; he wasn’t that dark of a person, but genuine joy was more rare for Tristan. His lonesome heart never needed to create joy; she had a big enough heart for the both of them. Tristan was grateful to have his only friend be Liana. She was his best friend who was Tristan’s counterpart, his opposite. The one who possessed what the other lacked. Tristan wasn’t gifted with communication skills, but had extreme bravery. Liana was placed on a pedestal by the village for being beloved, but was afraid of the unknown. Many villagers hoped if the two were in each other’s company for a long enough time, then two complete beings would be born from incomplete ones. Tristan would become the most prized hunter in all the elven villages, and fair Liana would be the most sought of “child of an elder”. But the two truly belonged together. Tristan often fantasized this, but it had remained in his head and heart, in reality, no such thing was possible. Liana viewed Tristan as an older brother, for she had none. To change her feelings from brother to lover might be too far to go. All he could do is hope, and remain a friend if possible.

Liana’s laughter broke through his mind while she played with her cat Nerik. Tristan smiled longingly. Liana then noticed his lack of enthusiasm.

“What’s wrong Tristan?” Her soft voice pierced his ears gracefully. His emerald eyes met her violet ones.

“Nothing truly. It seems my mind was wandering.” He smiled again, hoping for it to be empty-less. It was enough for her.

“Oh, alright.” She proceeded to play with the cat again, but paused shortly after. “Tristan, what do you suppose it’s like outside Leradon?” Nerik rubbed his head again against her elbow. Tristan looked up and sought answers from the sky.

“Far worse than inside.” He replied grimly, obviously not liking the conversation topic. “I don’t ever want to discover how it is. I’m happy here.” He smiled lightly in her direction. Liana picked up Nerik after his nagging got too unbearable.

“Where’s you sense of adventure? That’s very unlike you.” Nerik began to purr in her lap. “Curiosity can be too strong to ignore.” Tristan’s smile melted into seriousness.

“My curiosity could turn me into a slave. I’m not going to suffer what my father did. Besides, why risk a good thing?” A smirk returned to his face as he prepared to splash Liana with water from a nearby pool. She shrieked playfully when the cold water brushed against her warm skin like a gentle hand. Tristan’s deep chuckle sounded through the village. Liana made a mocking frown in his direction.

“You know you will regret doing that.” She warned, preparing for a retaliating attack. Before she could, Nerik ran off, meowing hysterically. Both Liana and Tristan took off after him, turning the pursuit into a game. Caught up in the excitement, neither one noticed which direction the small feline went. The trees began to grow closer, and the two elves lost all sense of direction. Liana, who was behind Tristan, nearly collided with his firm body. He crouched motionless in front of a bush.

“What are you—” She ducked down quickly beside him. Four scruffy humans began to chatter in the clearing in front of the two elves.

“There’s no game out here! Not even a hare!” One man said grimly.

“The elves must have hunted everything out here.” The man closet to the hidden elves said.

“Elves!? In this area?” Another man said while restringing his bow. The man closet sat down onto a log.

“Truly! The last free elves in this region. The only place protected for elves. We are not allowed to enter their property, but they can leave freely. None do though.” He spat onto the ground, as the other men waiting for more.

“Why are they safe?” the youngest looking man questioned. The knowledgeable man spat again.

“It’s said that the elder paid the monarchy a hefty sum. That’s why it’s so small; they have no money to pay for an expansion. Good thing too.” The man smirked unpleasantly. “Word would spread too fast, then eventually all of the elves will be free again.”

“Who will cook my food?” One man joked causing a roar of laughter. Liana could barely stand to hear this talk about her people.

“Tristan, we must leave now!” Tristan didn’t move a muscle. “Tristan!” Liana voice rose slightly above a whisper. He looked over at her, eyes distant.

“Their only humans, we are stronger than them.” Liana gaped at him.

“Are you insane! We cannot fight them. They outnumber us, and it could jeopardize my mother’s peace treaty with the monarchs. Either way, we could both end up slaves, something you said you feared.” She turned around silently. “I’m going back, with or without you.” She looked down at the ground. “I’d prefer ‘with’.” Tristan sighed. He really wanted to prove himself superior, but Liana was everything. Could he really forget her feelings? No, that was something impossible for him. He would follow her to the ends of all things. If she told him to walk into a human town exposed, or if she told him to run… so he must. He looked back longingly at the humans, now relaxing in a sunray, and sighed again. Then turned his back and silently crept after Liana.



© 2008 M. Anne


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

this is very good. You introduced the society in a way that got it across indirectly. I think it made it very believable. Very interesting. I hope there's more!

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
1 Review
Added on September 27, 2008


Author

M. Anne
M. Anne

WA



About
I have worlds in my head wanting to be on paper. I am young and passionate, and want to share. more..

Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Book by M. Anne


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by M. Anne


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by M. Anne