Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by M. Anne
"

The beginning of the tale *revised*

"

A deep hue of violet and crimson rose over a large castle surrounded by wheat fields. A young elvin woman of only twenty years stood within the fields. Torches were slowly being lit on the castle as the sun continued to drop. A storm warning was blowing in the form of a light breeze blowing the young woman’s hair across her face. Long stems of wheat rose up to the woman’s arms that hung heavily at her side, brushing against her skin. Over her shoulder a stone bridge rose over a small creek that was the water supply for the small village of peasants beyond the bridge. Inside the small huts, the silhouettes of people were moving around the small space. Everyone here had settled down for the night.

The young woman was still watching the village’s little movement, when two figures approached her from behind. Sensing someone was there; she turned around and saw an elven woman, and a human man. Their faces were unrecognizable, like they had no features except bright colorless eyes that did not blink. The young woman looked back at them frightened at their stare. The blue charm that hung around the woman’s neck began to pulse with a blue light.  The woman reached up to clutch it in her hand. The moment her fingers slid across it, an eerie voice that seemed as if it had been born from the wind, awakened in her ears.

“Choose your path wisely, for lives hang in the balance.” Said the voice that was neither male nor female.

The woman did not understand this, nor did she understand why she could not discern the stranger’s faces. She shut her eyes tightly, not wanting to see the continuous stares of the frightening people.

            Liana quickly awoke from her sleep, her body warm beneath two layers of quilts. This dream had been haunting her for three nights, and she did not understand its meaning. She rose from her bed slowly, her muscles tense. She walked over to her washroom, bare feet slapping the stone floor. Splashing water on her face did nothing to calm her nerves. She came out a few minutes later dressed in a long lavender dress that matched the color of her bright dark violet, nearly navy blue eyes. Her servant Namera entered soon after, closing the heavy door quietly behind her as to not wake those sleeping in rooms nearby. Liana sat down at her vanity while Namera picked up a brush and gently stroked it through Liana’s long dark chocolate curls.

“I hope you slept well Liana.” Namera said.

“Not as well as I would have hoped.” Liana said, looking up at Namera. She had been Liana’s servant for ten years, and was a great friend. “I had that dream again.” Liana said sadly, staring at herself in the mirror. “For three nights in a row.”

“Talk to your mother.” Namera advised as she brushed Liana’s hair. “Elders have duties to their families as well as their people.” She smiled as she began to put Liana’s hair up out of her face.

“I don’t want to make a big deal out of something that could only be just a dream.” Liana laced up her riding boots. “ If I am still worried tonight, I’ll tell her about it after the banquet.” She said as she left her room and headed to the Great Hall.

 She walked slowly down the corridor, looking at all the doors that still held sleeping elves inside them. Her hand slowly brushed against the hand carved designs on the walls that were of majestic horses. At the end of the hall, she turned and walked out to the Great Hall. The Great Hall was the meeting place for everything. With it’s warm wooden walls, and giant golden chandeliers, The Great Hall presented a formal comfortable environment for everyone. Scores of elves were here, and making small talk with each other. Liana walked down a side staircase and headed to a door that led to the stables. She hurried so to avoid getting stopped into a lengthy conversation. In the stable, she walked to the end, avoiding the waste on the ground. Her boots tapped the floor, and woke the sleeping horses. At the last stall, a beautiful, strong buckskin stallion was bouncing in his stall, anxious to see her.  She saddled him up, and led him out of the stable, into the sunlight.

“Ready to ride Sedren?” She asked while stroking his neck. She mounted him and headed on down a trail.  A sharp wind blew around her; she huddled close to Sedren’s body for warmth. Hearing a horse behind her, she turned around in her seat to see a handsome elf ride up.

“I have once again been denied from the hunt with the others.” He said to her solemnly.

“Tristan, it’s because you don’t tend to follow orders very well. Last week, you nearly got all the farmers and yourself killed.”

“I tried to prove that that I was right. Only it backfired.” Tristan said bitterly.

“There’s a reason the hunters told you to stay behind, you just have to realize what it is.” Liana continued riding. “I really care about you Tristan, you’re my best friend, and I would hate to lose you in an accident.”

“I know that I shouldn’t be careless, but I know that my decisions can have positive outcomes, if they are enforced.” Liana shifted in her saddle, not wanting to make him mad with her next comment.

“Listen to people who know what they’re doing, Tristan, before you can say that your means are better. I have to go to a council meeting” Liana rode off, leaving Tristan alone. He watched her figure disappear with despair.

 

Kahera waited patiently for Liana to arrive. She was to be the main topic for the council meeting. Standing on the deck outside of the council hall, Kahera saw her daughter ride up on her horse Sedren. After she dismounted, Liana tied Sedren to a post and approached her mother.

            “You’re late Liana. This is an important meeting, this will affect our entire village.” 

            “What is the problem?” Liana asked concerned. Kahera guided her to her seat.

            “All will be told, just wait for a moment.” Liana sat down, and waited for the meeting to start.

            Liana was the youngest member of the village council, having only 20 years in her life, compared to the second youngest at 73. Kahera was 504, a very new elder, but wise nonetheless. While Liana waited for the meeting to start, she fiddled with her hair; a bad habit she had when she’s deep in thought. She wasn’t thinking about anything in particular, but mainly her haunting dream. As hard as she tried, she couldn’t decipher it. All she got was a headache. The meeting was about to start, and Liana could feel the tension in the room, which is very unusual for the calm, determined elves. Suddenly, as if feeding off of the negative energy, Liana got very nervous about the topic today. Kahera entered the room, and Liana’s nerves grew when she saw her normally relaxed mother. She was tense like the others around her, but to a greater degree. Her normally tan complexion was a little paler, and her dark auburn eyes filled with dread. Kahera opened her lips to speak.

            “Many of you have heard a tale about what we will be talking about. Right now, you will find out if it is true.” Kahera paused to look around the room. “I must say that it is. For those of you who don’t know this information, an epidemic has been spreading throughout the Elven race. Now it has come here. Morrigan has been infected. She is stable right now, but we need the antidote. The only people to have it are the humans. Our relations with the humans have somewhat diminished as of late, but I believe that we can get the antidote. I will not tell you all why I think this, because that information is personal and confidential, even to the people in this room. But I will say that my daughter Liana will be going on this conquest for the antidote.”

            All eyes focused on Liana and murmurs began to fly around the room. Liana never had any desire to be the center of attention any time during her life, and today was no exception. Now was one of those times that Liana didn’t want to be the elder’s daughter. Especially when protest arose.

            “She is but a child. What cause is this that leads you to chose her?” A man of 175 questioned. Kahera raised her hand to silence more complaints.

            “She may be the youngest of us here, and has little knowledge of the world outside these walls, but that also means that her mind has not been tainted with ideas that humans are creatures of evil.” Liana smiled sheepishly while they older ones talked about her in front of her face, unable to do anything about it. The attention lifted slightly off Liana when Kahera spoke again.

            “We will not speak on this topic any longer. It has been dealt with. Now how are our crops this year?”

            Liana didn’t listen to the other issues that day. Instead she wondered why her mother assigned this task to her. When the council session ended Liana approached her mother. Kahera raised her hand to stop Liana from speaking.

            “I know what knowledge you seek right now.” She said to Liana.

            “Yes, I believe you do.” Liana’s voice was faint with concern.

            “I’m not going to tell you now. You will hear all after the festival tonight.” Kahera said firmly. Her word was law; Liana could not make her turn.

            “Why do you put this off? Is it so important that you don’t want to tell me?” Liana demanded.

            “That makes little sense, but yes. You will know soon enough.” Kahera walked out off the room, leaving Liana’s head full of questions.

            The hours that remained until the banquet dwindled down to 30 minutes. Surprisingly, Liana spent the hours preparing and trying to look her best, barely thinking about the mystery that would be solved later that evening. Liana dressed by herself, then Namera arrived to do her hair. This festival had no real importance. The village had one every month to help keep the villagers connected to each other. After Liana was ready she headed out of the great hall to the festival. The hallway leading to the festival was decorated with beautiful flowers. Liana stood at the balcony just outside the door, and inhaled the beautiful fragrance. For a while, Liana was completely at ease surrounded by the embrace of the sweet aroma, calming her. The sound of laughter burst her out of her daydream and back to reality. Leaving the flowers, Liana opened the door to the festival, and stared down at the people below from atop the grand staircase. Nearly the entire village had attended, and everyone’s faces were lit up with joy. All the excitement pushed Liana’s problems even farther back into her mind. She began her descent down the stairs, her dress shoes tapping lightly with each step. At the bottom, she paused and looked around the room for a moment, and then she headed to her mother who looked stunning in a bright crimson corset gown.

            “Another wonderful festival mother.” Liana greeted her delightfully, with not a horrible thought of the next day’s secrets behind her eyes.

            “I am very pleased that you like it. And that everyone likes it.” Kahera breathed a sigh of relief. Musical sounds began to play as the music ensemble began a cheerful tune. Liana stood and listened as many people danced, with joyous smiles on their faces, and warmth in their hearts at this gathering of fellowship.

            A gentle hand rested on Liana’s shoulder. She turned around gracefully, the bottom of her blue gown twirled around her legs. Tristan was smiling at her pleasantly.

            “You look marvelous. Shall we dance?” He asked with an expression on his face that made Liana uncomfortable. Despite that, Liana placed her hand in his and followed him out to the floor. They began to dance, and as they spun, a conversation was struck up.

            “They’re letting me join the lesser hunt tomorrow. Just for small game though.” He boasted to her.

            “That’s great Tristan, I’m glad you got what you were wishing for.” There was slight sadness in her words, but it went unnoticed.

            “I’ll tell you all about it tomorrow night if you want?” He suggested. Liana’s heart dropped.

            “That would be nice, but I’m leaving tomorrow morning for the capital.” She said sadly, her eyes staring at the ground.

            “What! Why?” Tristan seemed more upset than Liana herself at the idea.

            “We need some medication. I believe you heard about Morrigan.”

            “Yes, I visited her yesterday. That’s why you’re going?” He seemed terribly sad.

            “Yes,” she replied mournfully.

            “Why you?” He protested. Liana paused and remembered that she didn’t know that answer.

            “Mother wouldn’t tell me. She said I had to wait until after the festival, and now I don’t know if I can anymore. I had forgotten, but now…” Her voice faded. “I’m sorry Tristan, but I have go talk to her. I can’t stand not knowing the reason.” She released her hands from his, and walked off the floor.

            Kahera was drinking some honey wine from a large goblet when her daughter came hurrying over to her.

            “I want to know now,” Liana said. “Why do I have to go?” Kahera sighed and placed her drink down.

            “Very well, follow me.” She walked off and Liana trailed behind, eager and nervous, dreading what her mother would say. Kahera walked out to the flowered courtyard Liana had visited before she had entered the festival. As Liana followed, Kahera began to speak.

            “Liana has anything been troubling you? I feel sadness and fear behind every word you say.” At that question, Liana made an important decision.

            Yes actually, there has been this recurring dream.” And with that she told Kahera about the dream she woke up from that morning.

 A long uncomfortable silence fell between, and Kahera refused to make eye contact. A voice rose up out of the silence, like a banner in a sharp wind.

            “Then it is time to share this with you.” Kahera said at last. “Sit Liana.” She guided Liana to the balcony railing, where she perched herself. Kahera sighed deeply, and then began to tell Liana what was so important.

            “18 years ago, when the elvin war that has divided the humans and the elves to this day began, a human soldier heading out to war, an elven heiress, and their new daughter were in danger. In that time, it was somewhat forbidden for elves and humans to be friendly towards one another. Their child was in more danger than them. There would be a long time until a half-elf would be accepted in the world. The father had to go to war, and the mother had to hide, for there were some people who knew their secret. They gave their beloved child to the mother’s handmaiden who was I. I was the only one they could trust. The child’s parents left and I raised the child as my own. She grew strong, but I could always see what was troubling her. She still remembered some of her past…. Do you understand what I am trying to explain to you?”  Liana could feel the tears building up in her eyes. She only half understood why. She knew this tale about a child was about her, but she didn’t want to believe it. She turned to face the scenery that surrounded her home.

            “I think that I know, but I am unwilling to accept it… is this entire account of a child’s life…mine?” The last word burned in her throat. The truth was harder to accept than the lie that she had lived her entire life.

            “Yes, it is all about you. I am not your real mother, and you are not completely the kin that you have loved most of your life. I know this is abrupt, and that more than anything, right now you wished I had never mentioned any portion of your real past. But I also know that you will value all the information that I have given you, and more that I will give you later. I have been hurting terribly with you not knowing what I know about you. When I found out that the antidote for Morrigan was in human hands, I knew that your past could help get the antidote. So I assigned the task to you, then I could finally tell you everything that I wanted to for a long time.” Kahera said as calmly as possible. By now Liana had uncontrollable tears flowing down her face. A squeak escaped her lips as she tried to say something to the woman who had been a maternal figure to her.

            “W-Why did they not take care of me themselves. Did they care more about their own safety then of mine? Did they not love me enough?” Liana had so much emotion inside and it was let out as bitterness. Kahera walked up to Liana, and held her chin so she could look directly into her eyes.

            “They loved you, and after all these years, they still love you. Your parents need to feel the love of their child again. You need to find them. I didn’t tell you because I knew you would leave, and be only a memory to me and all who care about you. Now, I had no other reason to keep this hidden.” Kahera backed away slowly, as Liana stood up. They remained in silence, the only sound heard was the wildlife in the surrounding forests and Liana fighting the urge to weep. She was staring at a spot on the floor, Kahera’s many words echoing in her head.

            “Liana, talk to me.” Kahera whispered gently. Liana shook her head violently, in response.

            “I can’t.”  She gasped, brushing quickly passed Kahera down the dark corridor to the safety and certainty of her room.

 

            Liana pushed open her door with great force, ripped off her dress; tears flowed freely down her face. She threw her dress onto the ground, and fell into her bed, sobbing loudly. Eventually, the sobbing died down, and she was sleeping soundly for a few hours. Near the early morning just after the midpoint of night, she woke from the dream again, and the memory of the banquet flooded into her mind. She looked around her room, suddenly finding it hostile towards her. Still in her undergarments, she slowly pushed open the door to her room and wandered into the motionless hall. Her legs carried her emotionless to a large window seat, where she stopped to gaze out at the only home she knew. Time moved quickly by, and she no longer knew how long she had been sitting there.

            Tristan did not sleep after the banquet. Liana left early, so he found no more pleasure in that evening. He walked around the building many times, losing count after twelve. On his possible fifteenth go-around, he spotted Liana motionlessly staring out a window. He inhaled as he walked over to her. He placed his hand on her shoulder, trying to be comforting.

            “What are you doing out here?” A sad smile snuck onto her tear-lined face.

            “I should ask you the same question.” She turned her head for the first time in a while. Her neck was stiff from the lack of movement.  Tristan then noticed that she had on only her undergarments, and color rose into his face. She truly was in a fitful state to go out of her room like this. Despite his uncomfortable feeling, he sat down beside her, sensing that he was needed. Liana placed her head on his shoulder, wishing she could tell him what she just discovered about herself, but the words would not come. Only half of the truth would be spoken this night.

            “Kahera’s not my mother.” She said rather bluntly. Tristan pushed her head off of his shoulder to look at her face.

            “What? How?” He stared at her like she was a complete stranger. Liana fought back more tears.

            “My father had to go fight in the war when I was two, and my mother fled to the south.” Liana said surprisingly simply.

            “Why didn’t she take you with her.” Tristan longed for answers. Liana shrugged like this was old news.

            “They agreed that it would be safer for me. So Kahera, who was my mother’s handmaiden, took me as her own. And here we are.” Liana laughed sheepishly. Tristan looked down at the hem of Liana’s under-gown.

            “I’m sorry.” He replied pathetically. “Will you come back here?” He paused, still staring at her hem. “After you find them?” Liana didn’t make eye contact. “I don’t know.” Tristan surprisingly placed her hand in his. She closed her fingers around his and smiled. Tristan brushed a strand of hair out of her face, and let his hand linger on her cheek. Liana knew where this was going, but didn’t protest. All she wanted right now was to be comforted. Tristan curled his arms around her; cradling her in his arms.

            “Everything will be fine. Just fine.” He whispered in her ear as the tears began to slide down her face again. She buried her head into his chest, and cried without regret or embarrassment. Uncertainty surrounded them, and they both felt it trying to break into their hearts. For this one moment, they could be who they use to be, who they wanted to be, before the future began.

 

            The sun was skimming the top of the hills when Tristan carried Liana back to her room. He knew she had to leave soon, and couldn’t prevent it any longer. He placed her on her bed gently, and folded the covers around her. He brushed her face one last time before going to his own room to stare at the ceiling in hopelessness.

 

            The sun woke Liana later than she had wanted. She had wanted to leave quietly. Now it was impossible to do so. Liana looked about the room sleepily, her finally dry eyes gazing at the results of the actions the night before. Her gorgeous festival gown laid on the stone floor after she tore from her body in her despair. Her shoes lay on opposite ends of the room, from being flung off when she fell to her bed.

            Liana rose clumsily from her bed, and sat herself in front of her mirror. Her normally perfect curly hair was an uncontrollable mess, some hairs slightly remained in the bun Namera had done for her. Liana slowly raised a comb to her hair and began to untangle the chaos in her hair. Namera was not Liana’s servant today, and for that Liana was grateful. To have anyone see her like this would dampen her already low spirit. She began to prepare a bath for herself, to make herself presentable for her departure later. The warm water did nothing, as she feared, to brighten her mood, and it did not relax her, for heavy thoughts dwelled in her mind. A lovely dark green simple gown was picked from her wardrobe, and Liana did her best to tie it in the back.

            Finally feeling a little more comfortable, Liana decided to begin packing. While she was packing, Kahera entered the room.

            “The whole village in waiting for you to leave. They want to say goodbye.” Her voice filled with regret. “I’m sorry I put this burden on to you. It was my crisis; I should not have given it to the person I love the most.” Liana continued to pack, unable to speak. Kahera continued to try to get Liana to face her. “Why do you refuse to talk to me? To learn your future, you need to accept the past.” She walked up to Liana’s gear and helped her pack.

            “I don’t know what to say.” She looked at Kahera. “I want to act like nothing has changed, but when I look at  can’t speak.”

            The walk out to the stable was the longest and hardest walk Liana had ever taken. The fact that she would never wander these halls the same person as before hit her hard with every step. So much fear pushed on her body. I cannot falter. Not with everyone here. She told herself as she walked. So many times before the village had looked to her to be fearless for them. All those times she had fulfilled their wish. Liana wanted them to still believe that she felt no fear.

            Kahera came up beside Liana, offering comfort to the young woman’s restless mind. Just her presence was soothing, but there was more to give. Words of caution came out in Kahera’s soft voice.

            “The first village you will enter is a human village. The citizens are very hostile to elven kind. Many are rumored to have elven slaves.” Her brown eyes met Liana’s violet ones. “They cannot discover your identity. There are few that could help you, seek them out. You will be able to tell who they are.” At the order to stay hidden, Liana silently lifted the hood of her cloak over her head, hiding her elongated ears, the visible sign of elvin blood. The rest of the walk to the stable was kept in silence; the sound of shoes on smooth stone was the only sound that could be heard. At the stable, horses were restless in their stalls, waiting for riders. In the last stall, Sedren was saddled and prepared for the long journey. It pained Liana to see him like that. It made the reality that she was leaving harder to ignore. Liana reached out and stroked his neck, her head turned back to her foster mother. Kahera smiled reassuringly, and pointed to the stable doors that lead to the village entrance.

            “They are all waiting for you. They want to say goodbye.” She said about the villagers, a mournful tone in her voice. Liana, hesitant to leave, looked around the stable miserably.

            “Will I ever see this place again?” She asked mainly to herself.

            “Of course you will.” Kahera answered. “Don’t forget the antidote. The villagers won’t trust anyone else with it. Now that I assigned you with this task, you must complete it. You cannot leave and never return. These people are as much a part of your family as your birth parents.” Liana listened to Kahera’s words. The fact that she would return did not ease her pain of leaving.  Feeling that she could no longer put this off, she grabbed Sedren’s lead rope, and took a step towards the exit. As she and Kahera walked, Liana’s slim fingers fiddled with her blue amulet, a habit she did when she was nervous. The sunlight hit her soft tan face gently when she walked out of the stable, a multitude of elves waited at the gate to see her off, some with tears in their eyes for reasons Liana did not know. They should be happy that I’m getting the antidote, why do they weep?  She thought to herself. When she looked out into the crowd, she realized there were few people she needed to say goodbye to personally.

            Namera stood at the front of the crowd, a big smile on her face. When Liana approached her, her smile widened.

            “I know we will see each other again, so I’m not sad.” At those words, Liana returned a smile to her.

            “Namera, you have done so much for me. I will truly miss you. To repay you, I want you to live in my room, and you can have all the clothes I did not take with me. Take my place in the council..” Liana rested her hand on Namera’s shoulder. Namera hugged her tightly at this extravagant offer. The last person Liana had to bid farewell to personally was Tristan. He stood a little a ways away from Namera, staring at the ground sadly.

            “I know you will miss me the most. You don’t get along with many others. But Tristan,” He looked up into her eyes. “You have finally gotten what you had so desired. You will finally be a protector of the village. Don’t waste it.” Liana hugged him tightly, making sure he understood her. She raised her lips to his cheek, and his face turned a shade of pink but she did not notice. She turned finally to Kahera, for the final goodbye.

            “For many times, you were my child.” Kahera whispered in her ear, so no one would hear.

            A variety of smiles and tears were around Liana as she mounted Sedren. A heavy sigh escaped her lips and her legs slowly tightened around her stallion’s withers and he began to move. She looked back longingly at those who cared so much about her, the tears escaping from her eyes again. She faced onward again, and eased Sedren into a canter, and the village soon disappeared.



© 2008 M. Anne


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Okay, It's really good story. I'm really interested. It has a lot of potential, but I think that the dialogue needs to be condensed significantly (i.e. The conversation between Liana and Namera was particularly lengthy and recited the understood-between-them). A trick is that you might want to make it not over five words per line unless it's an actual speech (i.e. Kahera confessing)

Also be subtle. Like when Kahera asked why Liana wasn't talking to her, it would be believable for Lina just to shake her head, say "I can't" and move abruptly past her. That would be a good indicator of the turmoil she's in.

And if you plan to do something like a twist with Liana's comment about where her real mother went, leave out the written explanation that that was merely a guess.

And you might want to keep posting or I'll create my own ending :P
S.D.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Okay, It's really good story. I'm really interested. It has a lot of potential, but I think that the dialogue needs to be condensed significantly (i.e. The conversation between Liana and Namera was particularly lengthy and recited the understood-between-them). A trick is that you might want to make it not over five words per line unless it's an actual speech (i.e. Kahera confessing)

Also be subtle. Like when Kahera asked why Liana wasn't talking to her, it would be believable for Lina just to shake her head, say "I can't" and move abruptly past her. That would be a good indicator of the turmoil she's in.

And if you plan to do something like a twist with Liana's comment about where her real mother went, leave out the written explanation that that was merely a guess.

And you might want to keep posting or I'll create my own ending :P
S.D.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 28, 2008
Last Updated on October 9, 2008


Author

M. Anne
M. Anne

WA



About
I have worlds in my head wanting to be on paper. I am young and passionate, and want to share. more..

Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Book by M. Anne


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by M. Anne


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by M. Anne