The Red Balloon

The Red Balloon

A Story by Michaela
"

Flash fiction piece for school (w/ a word limit)

"
                    The Red Balloon

                       Nervously I hand Miel the red balloon. Before she can say thank you I turn and walk to the concession stand grinning from ear to ear. I turn to see Zek talking to my Miel, giving her some cotton candy she grabs it without a glance up letting go of the red balloon . I drop the popcorn I just gotten us and charge over to them, my adrenaline pumping. I hit Zek clear off his feet, over the rail and into the shark tank.
                       The groups rush's over, lots of "what happened" flying through the air. I am in shock and dont notice Miel, who jumped in after Zek, until the water from the splash slaps me awake. "No Miel," I cry! Then from the crowd, where everyone is hanging over the ledge gawking at the scene below, I hear a piercing scream as a cloud of blood flows to the surfaces. It appears as though Zek hit his head when landing in the water. Everyone searching the dark tank waiting for something to break the surface, the seconds ticking by like hours. I feel eyes on me as the shock wears off, the crowd starts to hum, whispers of "it was him" followed by outstretched limbs and pointed fingers. My mind racing to defend itself, "help, help" Miel shrieks in between gasps of air. She can not possibly mean me, after all it is her deceitful ways that got me into this mess.
                  "Don't just sit there, do something" I hear a faceless voice in the crowd say, but I am paralyzed. At this point the rescue team is being alerted but by the time they get here my Miel will be shark food I think to myself. Weighing my options, deciding it best to save Miel so she will forgive me and by mine again and everyone will forget I pushed Zek in the tank and call me a hero for saving the day. I toss off my shoes and shirt, "I will save her, don't worry" I announce to the crowd. Then with perfect form I dive into the water, making sure to land as far from the spreading blood as possible.
              The tank wider than it is deep is surprisingly warm, attempting to open my eyes I quickly shut them again to avoid the burning sting of the  salty water. Feeling around like a blind man, I grab the first thing humanlike and rise to the surface. Infuriated to see it is Zek who I rescued, but the cheer from the crowd makes me feel like a super hero. I instantly feel stronger, smarter and better looking. I push Zek's limp body towards the first outstretched hand, with a deep inhale I plunge back under in search of my Miel. Using the same technique as before, hands first eyes shut scaling the tank and quick as possible. Miel in my grasp I push towards the surface, Miel thrashing about, why is she fighting me? She must still think Zek is under, I motion to her best I can, how doesn't she realize the crowd is relying on me to save the day, then with all my power I yank us up.
        "Miel, grab my hand" Zek shouts out over the cheering crowd, Miel and I both swim towards the edge, reaching Zek's hand first he pulls me out. I shove him out of the way, turning back around to pull out Miel. Nearly out of the water, Miel's hand is yanked from me and just like that she is pulled back under. Screams from the remaining crowd, Zek's shouting in my ear, the blood on the surface is growing by the second, the water is turbulent. Pushing me out of the way the zoo's rescue team arrives, moving everyone back as they secure the area. I get no pat's on the back, no thank you, not even an nod of admiration once again my moment has been ruined, what a horrible way to end the first day of school.

© 2012 Michaela


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
Added on April 24, 2012
Last Updated on April 24, 2012

Author

Michaela
Michaela

FL



About
young up and coming writer, based in Florida, eating up every opportunity that comes my way. more..

Writing
Man-cation Man-cation

A Story by Michaela