Down the Old Dirt Path

Down the Old Dirt Path

A Story by Lost in Wonderland

    The dirt path was soft on my bare feet; the occasional small rock not bothering me, now, after all these years. Tall, green trees cast playful shadows on the ground beneath me. Oh how gracefully those gentle giants danced in the breeze. I smiled and twirled around with them, my light sundress flowing out. Tension poured out of my body, leaving me blithe and buoyant.

    Care free laughter was carried to my expecting ears by the breeze. My gleeful giggles harmonized with your deep, honey toned voice like the most beautiful orchestra. I was getting closer to you. Anticipation bubbled up in my chest; I couldn’t help but start to run. Birds whistled there sweet song all around me. I beamed at the glory in it. A creamy butterfly fluttered by my side for a while.

    “Come to me, my love…” The wind whispered in my ears, your invitation making me go faster.

    “I’m coming, I’m coming!” My heart sung silently, I knew you could hear it though, feel it. This old, abandoned road in the forest always lead me to you. My prince, my mythical creature, my fairy tale. Twigs cracked in the distance. You were coming for me. I smiled and stopped, eyes closed, waiting. My smile was mellow, you had this way of making me forget all of my troubles and woes.

    “Hello-o!” I called, spinning in a slow circle, “Come out, come out wherever you are!” I waited for a few agonizingly long minutes then sighed very loud and impatiently. Just as I was about to peek, warm hands covered my eyes. A heated blush crawled up my neck as I sank into your arms. Your soft lips pressed into my temple and your sent overwhelmed me. All earth, and pine, and fresh mountain streams. I shuddered in delight.

    “Welcome home, my little city nymph.” You breathed, turning me to face you. I grinned into your chest at the nick- name you always greeted me with. Slowly, I glanced up, still gasping after all these years at your magnificent beauty. Your grass- green eyes, olive skin, and tousled brown hair. Your strong chest was covered by a baggy white shirt that made you look like a Greek hero. Wrapped on your embrace, I couldn’t agree with you more; this was my home, my true home.

    You took my hand and lead me to the end of the path, into your home. A river bubbled crystal blue waters around many bends. Mermaids sang their melodic songs in the shallows, fairies played in the tree tops. Cool, little waves licked our toes as we sat on the shore. We sat there in silence for a while, watching the glorious sunset paint the sky lavender and pink.

    Eventually, I murmured, “I missed you… so much.”

    “I know my darling, I know. But you’re here now.” You smiled gently down at me. You pulled me close to you, kissing me longingly, searching for all my secrets, erasing all my fears. Your hands wrapped into my long, thick hair. I kissed you back passionately, clinging to you. Soon, tears slipped down my cheeks. I looked down, embarrassed.

    Caringly, you cupped my face in you hand, stroking it. “Shhh,” you whispered, mesmerizing eyes filled with concern, “What’s wrong my angel?”

    I buried my face in your shoulder. “I love you.” My voice came out muffled and hoarse.

    You chuckled a little and smoothed my hair, trying to comfort me. “I love you too, my sweet. Please don’t cry. It pains me to see you so sad. Tell me what’s wrong, I wish to help you.”

    With but a shard of broken hope, I looked up to your face. “I can’t stay out there for much longer, I’ll go crazy. Please,” I begged quietly, “Please let me live here with you forever.”

    You sighed wearily. We’d discussed this before. “Oh my princess… You know that I would love for you to stay here with me forever. But I can’t take you away from your life. I can’t. I‘m sorry.”

    Biting my lip, I sighed. “I Know.” Tenderly, you kissed my forehead. I sank into you again, aggepting defeat... for now, and together we watched as thousands of stars lit up the sky. We snacked on grapes and honeysuckle. You fed me ripe, red strawberries. For a few precious hours, I lost myself into your reality.

    As always though, when the first rays of dawn touched the dark sky, you scooped me into your loving arms and carried me back to the path that lead me to you, away from you, and to you again. For a few minutes, I clung to you, wanting to savor this moment for just a bit longer. Then gently, you opened my fingers and set me on my feet. I clamped my lips shut against the wave of that pain hit my stomach; your separation physically hurt me. Taking a deep breath and using all my will power, I took a few steps away.

    “My love?” You called after me.

    I hesitated then turned, moisture in my eyes, “Yes?”

    You gave me a sad smile, “I’ll be waiting for you.”

    I returned the grin, “I know. I’ll be back.” And with that, I walked away, knowing that I would return to you again. My true love, my prince, my fairy tale. My dream come true.

© 2012 Lost in Wonderland


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
Added on May 1, 2012
Last Updated on May 1, 2012
Tags: Love, Fairy Tales

Author

Lost in Wonderland
Lost in Wonderland

In the clouds, Where dreams are found



About
My name is Mickey:) I have a facbook page:) Please like it if you want more..

Writing