Auroran. Tattler. Calumet.

Auroran. Tattler. Calumet.

A Story by Mik


First, it was The Auroran.

Then, it was The Tattler.

Today, it is The Calumet.


From 1932 until 1936, The Auroran was the newspaper printed at MCC. With lots of ads for 50c hats and $1 shoes, they didn’t have funding to support their paper. They had to go to local businesses and ask for their support, which was given ten times over. In each edition, there are at least a half page of ads, promoting clothing stores, restaurants and school dances.


All the school sports teams were named the Indians, including men and women’s basketball. We no longer have MCC sports teams to write about, but as they did in ‘32, we have plenty to write about the Muscatine Muskies.


In 1936, the newspaper changed their name to The Tattler. After the name change, the format of the paper changed a lot. It went from line-separated columns and numerous ads to type-written columns that are separated with blank space and very little pictures. There were components that remained the same through every addition, including submissions from students and staff. There were gossip columns, consistent sports updates and even a poetry corner, which we are hoping to bring back to the modern Calumet.


The first edition of the Calumet was printed in 1951. As our motto says, “Student run since 1951,”.


© 2018 Mik


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

30 Views
Added on December 2, 2018
Last Updated on December 2, 2018

Author

Mik
Mik

About
Intense passion for writing and expressing myself and others through writing. more..

Writing