Going For Gold: Chapter 1

Going For Gold: Chapter 1

A Chapter by missgreen
"

Chapter 1 :)

"

 

Chapter 1

“Esther!” hollered Vanessa Richens, grabbing her rucksack and scowling at the bottom of the stairs.

“Honestly, sometimes I feel like shaking that silly little girl!” She muttered under her breath.

Thundering down the stairs, a girl with an unbrushed mane of bright ginger hair attempted to drag her feet into their filthy shoe.

“Oh for goodness sake!” Vanessa groaned and hastily tied her sister’s shoelaces as not to waste time.

“How many times do I have to tell you? Mum’s gone off to work, Dad’s busy and it’s our first day of term! New town, new school, new people; first impressions count you know!”

Rolling her eyes, Esther thrust her hands into her pockets and muttered, “Well, I don’t care what people think of me and neither should you!”

Ignoring the previous comment, Vanessa turned to the mirror, only to see her sister’s reflections staring pessimistically back at her.

To her far right, stood 14 year old Felicity with golden locks, innocent blue eyes and an apprehensive smile. Perfectly suited for sport, her toned body was slender and athletic. Meanwhile, her 13 year old sibling, Esther, stood grinning with her freckled face and mischievous blue eyes.  Daisy, who was the youngest at 10, leant against the doorway, hiding behind her curly strawberry blond hair. Freckles dotted her face-A snub nose was assembled beneath her doleful brown eyes. Finally, Vanessa glanced at her own reflection, observing a girl of 16 years with ginger curls, eyes lined with sweeping eyelashes and a dignified, intelligent expression.

“Come on, we’re going to be late AND we need to drop Daisy off,” Vanessa panicked, locking the door behind her and tearing past the front gate.  

Stumbling behind her sisters, Daisy grumbled, “Do I HAVE to go to this boring school? You know I hate change and I like our old house, our old school and our old friends!”                          

Sighing, Felicity replied in her placid tone, “School isn’t optional Daisy, although it would be pleasant if it was!”

Snickering, Esther turned around to look at their new house: A colossal, elongated 3 stories with rooms sleeping in dust. Having only moved in a week before, the Richens girls were only just adjusting to the empty, lifeless rooms and haunting noises in the night. However, they all agreed that the unkempt garden was full of potential adventures especially Esther. Their mother was hardly ever in due to her demanding day job and their father spent hours locked up in this attic study, writing endless university lectures. Clearly, the girls were very gifted, for example, Esther was known for her effortless talent in story writing. Yet, she lacked the patience and determination to commit herself. Vanessa was also extremely academic and musical, yet a mighty perfectionist. Conversely, Daisy was artistic but lacked any common sense like Felicity lacked self-confidence.

“Esther, are you even listening to me?” Daisy sighed stamping her feet in frustration as her sibling woke in reality.

“I missed it, sis, could you start again?” Esther apologetically grimaced, spinning to face her sister’s stubborn expression.

“I was saying,” continued Daisy, “Why can’t I get home schooled? Mum could hire a tutor, it would be perfectly simple! All the girls my age talk about silly things like pop stars, so it would make MUCH more sense.” she vindicated in a posh accent.

“Na,” Esther chuckled, “Mum and Dad have enough problems with work and money and all that stuff as it is.”

Protesting and whinging all the way to school, Daisy plainly refused to enter when she was told, so Vanessa had to virtually drag her inside.

“Okay, listen to me, sweet,” Vanessa knelt down to stare her sister in the face. “I know it’s hard, but EVERYONE goes through it at some stage. Just try your best because we’re all here for you. You’ll be just fine!” Vanessa pecked her on the cheek and waved as she proceeded towards the gates.

“One thing off our list!” Esther joked causing Felicity to good-naturedly punch her in the arm.

“Nervous?” questioned Vanessa as Esther frantically shook her head.

“Of course not! I’ll look after my Felicity, don’t you worry ‘Ness! You’ve got your G.C.S.E’s to study for anyway.”

The 3rd sister momentarily embraced Vanessa as they reached the school gates. Giving her sister’s an apprehensive wave, the oldest sibling nodded and headed towards the year 11 blocks.

“Okay m’dear?” Esther sang while the two ambled towards the school’s indoor swimming pool.

Shrugging, Felicity replied, “I s’pose, although it’s going to be weird swimming with a new team. I haven’t been training much recently… You’ll be fine though, ‘Essie because you’ve got such confidence…”

The two sisters strolled into the changing rooms and promptly hugged while inquisitive onlookers smirked.

“I’ll see you after school, ‘Essie; have a good day!” Felicity dynamically waved.

“As should you!” Esther bowed and backed out of the changing room also expressing many a goodbye.

Ignoring the judgemental smirks, she opened her empty locker. Inside, she vigilantly placed 2 photos all containing 6 distinct figures.

The first contained Esther’s parents, her mother gently smiling with her wavy russet hair and her father sheepishly grinning with his vibrant ginger mop and circular glasses. Meanwhile, Vanessa was 8 years old with corkscrew curls and without her legendary smart expression. What's more, Felicity was once again hiding behind her blonde locks and grasping her mother’s hand. Esther stood arms outstretched, 5 years old and her hair in pigtails. To end with, Daisy looked cute and sulky as always, freckles sprinkling her face.

In the other, the family were 4 years older. Grey streaks stained their parent’s hair but her face was still perfectly gentle.

Amused, Esther closed her locker and paraded down the corridor. Breathing in, she dragged a steady hand through her bird’s nest of hair and halted by her tutor room. Here she was. One step away from discovery. And being Esther, bold, courageous and fearless…she walked in.

 



© 2012 missgreen


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
Added on July 28, 2012
Last Updated on July 28, 2012
Tags: going for gold, chapter 1, family, sisters