Going For Gold: Chapter 2

Going For Gold: Chapter 2

A Chapter by missgreen
"

Enjoy chapter 2 :)

"

Chapter 2:    

  Esther soon realised that Daisy was right: all the girls their age only seemed to gossip about their favourite celebrities and who’s hot and who’s not. And Esther soon realised that she was NOT one those girls, or ever would be.

Strutting into the classroom, Esther scanned the area for potential friends because she had learn the hard way that however hard you try to work alone, you DO need a friend.

Whispering and tittering, a pack of typical teenage girls scavenged for a fresh feast of gossip whilst plastered in fake tan and blusher. Maybe not thought Esther, turning to look at the other side of the room. Defiantly not, she confirmed when watching an ensemble of boys wittering excitedly on about the latest issue of nerd news. She was probably going insane, considering joining a gang of hooligans picking their noses and swapping football cards.

Never mind, the girl sighed and instead headed to the drama department where she could spend the remaining of her precious minutes.  Amazed by the sudden detonation of colour, Esther tiptoed silently into the colossal studio full of rows of seats.

“Oi! Do that 1 more time and you’ll be dead!” hissed a voice behind the curtains; Esther stiffened.

“Let go of me or I’ll scream, you monster,” warned another voice, delicate and silky. Tensing, Esther realised that that a victim was behind that curtain- so was the bully. Now, if Esther was scared, she would have run away. If she was wise, she could have called for help. And if she couldn’t have cared less, she would have laughed and strolled away. Yet, as Esther Richens was none of these things, she did neither.

Fury escalating inside of her, Esther felt her inner monster growl and escape before she could stop herself. Hurtling towards the curtain, she tore it open, only to see four boys. The first three were muscular, robust and scornful. On the contrary, the one remaining was composed and poised.

“What the hell is going on?” roared Esther, shielding the boy from the bullies.                                      Snickering, the leader retorted in a gruff manner, “This ‘pretty boy’ has signed up to be the lead part in ‘Romeo and Juliet.’ Surprise surprise, we’re not too fond of that are we boys?”

Chortling, his henchmen foolishly shook their heads; Esther felt rather tempted to shut them up in a way that would make Vanessa feel faint.

“Yeah, well no-one else has a problem with it do they? You stay away or there WILL be trouble, you understand?” Esther spat, snatching “pretty boy’s” arm and hauling him towards the door leaving the bullies quite speechless.

“Whoa, thanks,” the boy smirked as the pair sat in a spare classroom nearby.

“No problem, dude” Esther replied, beaming optimistically back. “What’s your name?”                                      

“Harry. I guess you’re new aren’t you? No-one would DARE stand up to those thugs otherwise! Nice to meet you,” Harry offered Esther his hand.

“Yeah I’m new, but I don’t take no nonsense from anyone! My name’s Esther.”

Contemplating the boy before her, Esther saw that he was indeed very handsome with clear olive skin, lustrous ebony hair swept over his eyes and a towering figure.

“I see,” he relaxed revealing a set of flawless teeth. “Warning noted! How about we get to class? You don’t WANT to be late on your first day of school do you?”

Groaning sarcastically, Esther teasingly elbowed him and meandered out of the classroom just as the bell went.

 

*

 

Meanwhile, Felicity was undressing in the changing room. Trying to ignore prying school kids, asking who she was and where she was from, Felicity scrunched her fair tresses into a scruffy bun and dragged a swimming hat over her head.  Precipitously, she pushed past the others and entered a room containing a colossal pool.

“It’s hard on your first day, right?” uttered a soft voice from behind her. Felicity whirled around, shocked, to see a girl of her age with dark brunette hair and striking russet eyes. Although Felicity never showed it, she could feel envy and couldn’t help but feel jealous of the girl’s natural slender figure. Undoubtedly beautiful, the girl had a kind smile so Felicity tried to return it as warmly as she could.

“My name’s India- what’s yours” the girl spoke again, stepping closer to Felicity whilst doing so.

“Oh…um…hi… I’m Felicity and…well yes it’s my first day…” replied the shy girl attempting to sound as confident as possible.

Taking her hand, India led her to the water where everyone else was starting to swim.

“C’mon just get in! If you just ignore everyone else they will ignore you!” smiled India stepping into the water. “I started a few months ago and it’s worked for me,” she continued as Felicity simply nodded and followed her in. Enjoying the calming silkiness of the pool, the two swam for 30 minutes grinning and making funny faces under the water. Just as India said, everyone else ignored them and left them be which they both appreciated.

After their exhausting swim, Felicity and India giggled their way out of the pool, hurriedly got changed and stopped at the small cafeteria for breakfast.

“I’m starving,” grumbled India heading towards the queue with money in her hand.  “Do you want anything?”

“Oh no, I’m fine, thank you,” replied the other girl blushing red.

“Have you even had any breakfast?” enquired India curiously.

“Um…” Felicity fiddled with her bag and awkwardly answered, “Well…no…but I’m just not hungry! Honestly!”

Sighing, India raised an eyebrow and spoke in a motherly tone, “Now you really should have some breakfast! Especially after swimming! But if you don’t want to, I’m not going to force you.”

Exhaling in relief when India left, Felicity touched her rumbling stomach, knowing that nothing was in there. She should really eat something…

“I’ll be FINE!” she stated declared just as India came back with a tray full of food. Food. Beautiful, warm, delicious food. Suddenly, Felicity could not take it any longer.

“I’ve got to go, but I’ll probably see you in class!” Felicity seized her bag and waved goodbye to the alarmed girl before her. She had to get away. Away from India, away from food and away from everyone else. Ignoring the bell, she ran into the building to wash her face. In the mirror she saw a girl with deep mauve circles underneath her eyes and bedraggled flaxen hair. Furiously, she wrenched a brush across her scalp which hurt horribly. But she didn’t care. How she wished she could have India’s unflawed figure. Lifting up her top, she glowered at her skeletal body which showed her ribs. Examining her chest, Felicity looked for any signs of fat. There it was. Beneath her belly button. She irritably shoved down her top and respired heavily. Something would have to be done. And Felicity knew how…

 



© 2012 missgreen


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

108 Views
Added on July 28, 2012
Last Updated on July 28, 2012
Tags: going for gold, chapter 2, family, sisters