Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Scarlett Dale

"This was absolutely stupid. How could anyone be so annoying, and intoxicating at the same time?" Todd Carter thought. The new girl at school, Mya Colt had been trying to talk to him all day long but he had avoided her knowing his friends thought she was weird even though she was the hottest thing since Shelly Frazer had gotten her braces off last year. But it was as if Mya could tell what he was thinking because every time she tried to talk to him he had been thinking "just leave me alone," and sure enough she would act as if she changed her mind and go in the other direction.

Todd was almost home when he heard footsteps behind him, "oh shoot!" he muttered.

"Todd! Wait up Todd!" Mya called to him, her voice sounding almost musical. "I want to talk to you!"

Todd sighed disgustedly and waited for her to catch up. "What is it? I need to get home."

Mya blushed and looked to the ground, "well you see I- I need your help. See I had this dream about you and-"

Todd smirked, "I'm sure a lot of girls dream about me but if you’re asking me to go out I can't."

Mya blushed again making her pale skin look all the more beautiful, Todd thought. "No- see it was a dream with you in it before I even met you. I've spent the past month looking for you."

Todd looked at her skeptically and with slight anger and at being wrong about her wanting to go out. "You saw me in a dream before you knew me? And you were looking for me?"

"Yes. Todd I need your help, do you see this?" She pulled out a crystal medallion that looked as if it were glowing. "It didn't glow until the day I came here and met you." Mya held it closer to Todd and it began to glow with more brilliance. "If you were to touch it now it would burn your fingers."

Todd's eyes grew big with wonder, and he stood gazing at the small crystal. His hand rose instinctively and he touched the small medallion. Something, like fire burned his finger and a bright light flashed. The next instant Todd felt himself laying down on something soft.

"Todd! Are you alright?" Mya asked from beside him.

He opened his eyes and sat up, "yeah. What happened?"

Mya looked around her, "we transported, I never figured out how to do it but it looks like you are the key."

Wait. Did she just say transport? "I knew it! I knew it I knew it!" Todd stood up, "I knew you were some freaky chick! You're insane!"

Mya stood up as well and looked Todd in the eyes, her eyes seemed to flame out. "I'm a freak?! How dare you! I thought you would much nicer than this. You certainly were when I saw you in my dream! You even-"Mya stopped and looked away.

Curiosity took over, "I what?"

Mya look back at him, with a strange look in her eye. "You kissed me."

Todd was taken back, "I- I what?”

"You kissed me! In my dream you kissed me. I was hurt, you were trying to help me- I was scared and -and you-" Mya could see the disbelief in his eyes. She looked away angrily, "never mind. Forget it."

Todd's anger returned, "Fine. How do we get out of here?"

Mya didn't answer. Todd was looking at her back as she looked toward the trees. They seemed to have gone to some forest. As Todd waited for her to reply he studied her. She wore a tight fitted t-shirt and shorts that weren't short enough in his eye and her honey colored hair was pulled up into a ponytail. Todd shook himself out of his trance she turned to speak.

“I’m not sure but I think you need to think of something, a place. Like…your room, think of your room.”

Todd looked at Mya like she was crazy, “are you serious? My room? Do you think I’m stupid? Do I have idiot on my forehead?”

Mya rolled her golden eyes. “Just do it Todd”

Todd took a breath and closed his eyes for a second, when he opened them again Mya stood in front of him waiting. “Fine.” Mya smiled at Todd excitedly. Todd grunted disgustedly, and began thinking of his room.

Mya waited expectantly, but nothing happened. No flash of light, nothing. She knit her eyes brows together, deep in thought. Then a light crept into her eyes. “Todd, keep thinking of your room but do it while touching this.” She handed the medallion to him.

Todd stared at her for a second before taking it. Instantly there was another bright flash and both of them were again on the ground, this time not on grass but on carpet.

“Nice room,” Todd stood up and saw Mya already standing and looking around. As usual piles of clothes were strewn around the room. Todd cleared his throat, feeling embarrassed. “Uh thanks.”

Mya walked over to the shelves full of junk, she knew now that her crystal and Todd's thoughts transported them, and somehow it hurt. Really hurt; the pain was awful, she knelt down and hugged herself.  "Mya? What’s wrong are you okay?" Todd was kneeling beside her with worry in his voice.

She gasped, "I don't know! Todd, help me somehow."

Todd ran his fingers through his hair roughly, "I don't know how. What should I do?"

"The pain comes from something in your room I think, find it hurry!" Mya gasped as she fell over on her side.

Todd stood up and looked around his room, what could possibly cause her pain in his room? His eyes scanned everything, there was nothing! Wait, "I got I think. Hold on Mya." Todd went to his shelf and grabbed the cave crystal that was laying there; it was a chunk of black rock he had found last summer in some cave. Todd opened his window and chucked it out as far as he could and turned back to Mya. "Better?"

Mya released the grip she had on herself and slowly sat up, "yes. What was it?"

"It was just a dumb rock I don't know. It must have some effect on you." He helped her up against his better judgment. "This is so weird."

Mya smiled at him weakly, "I knew you were the one! I just knew it! Okay now we just have to perfect your powers and mine and then-"

"Wait! What are you talking about? I have no powers or whatever."

"Yes you do, you can transport us, using my crystal." She held it up toward him and he shied away.

"No way, I'm not touching that thing again. Just leave okay? Go away."

Mya frowned at him, "fine but you'll come looking for me, I bet my life on it." She glared at him one more time before leaving.

"Freaky chick."

~*~

Jeremy Frazer tossed the basketball through the hoop hanging over the family garage, “are you serious? Mya Colt followed you home? And she went into your room?” Jeremy was Todd’s best friend; they had hung out ever since birth because of their mothers’ friendship. He hadn’t told him the “whole” story but just enough.

“Yeah, but man she has to be the most annoying girl on the planet.” Todd said as he caught the ball and tossed it back at Jeremy.

Jeremy stopped mid throw, “but come on man she’s hot! You can’t deny that!”

Todd smiled at Jeremy, “yeah she is pretty hot. But come on I can’t be seen with her, she’s already known at school as a freak. Even if she is hotter that your sister. No offence.”

“Hey, none taken man, I’m not complaining.” Todd shook his head as he smiled at his friend. “Speak of the devil. Hey Sis!”

Shelly walked her bike into the garage, “Hey bro what are you boys up to?” She cast a side glance at Todd.

Jeremy rolled his eyes, “take it somewhere else sis. He’s taken.”

Shelly blushed prettily as Todd gave Jeremy a death look but Jeremy just shrugged. “Well I’ve got the finals to study for, so I’ll see you guys around.” Shelly tucked a strand of hair behind her ear as she turned around and walked into the house.

“I’d better get home too, I’ll see you bro.” Todd said as he waved to his friend.

Todd got back on his block; as he walked down his pathway he noticed the rock he had thrown the day before. He picked it up; there was nothing extraordinary about it. It was just a stupid rock. But yesterday with Mya it was as if it was some sort of radioactive space junk. Todd shook his head and threw the rock into the bushes next to his house. As he turned the handle to the front door, he started thinking about Mya. He hadn’t gotten how she had looked when she had left his room. Disappointed, troubled and " disgusted in him, with him.

Todd groaned at what he was about to do. Without even going inside he yanked out his cell phone and dialed the number he had found on the floor of his room. He could only assume it was Mya’s number.

“Hello Todd.” The light musical voice said on the other line.

“How did you know it was me?”

Mya laughed, “I know a lot. Now have you decided to cooperate? Because I have this plan, I’ve been thinking on it all day. I think it will work because the dream last night did and-”

Todd interrupted, “another stupid dream? Mya, dreams aren’t real. Okay? Dreams are just what your mind makes up at night.” He felt like he was talking to a little kid and explaining that Santa Claus wasn’t real.

“O Todd.” Mya sighed. “I thought you’d started to really believe. Okay listen, I’ll meet you in the east park in fifteen minutes.” Before Todd could reply the line went dead.

With nothing to do about it Todd went to the park and met Mya as he entered. “What’s the big idea hanging up on me?”

Mya smiled coyly, “I thought you’d be used to that by now. Isn’t that what all girls do to you?”

Todd just glared at her. “Well come on. What are we doing here?”

Mya sat down in the grass, her long legs crossed Indian style. “Well I can see that you still do not believe but you want to make sense of everything. That’s the reason you called. I have a solution.” Todd waited for her to continue. “We have to go back to the other realm,” Mya saw the incredulous look flash across Todd’s face. “No, I mean it. We have to go back. It’s the only way.”

“If you think I’m going to go to some other world again through that little stone, you’re crazy. I don’t have powers, I can’t save some world I know nothing about, and I think you have something wrong with your head, you should get that checked. I mean come on, dreams that come true? Like visions?”

Mya waited until he was done, “okay let’s do it.” She hopped up and put something in Todd’s hand quicker then he could blink. Instantly a flash blinded them, a gust of wind whipped their faces and then everything was quiet.

Todd opened an eye and looked around. It looked like were still in the park, guess it didn’t work that time, he thought smugly, as he opened his hand and gazed down at the stone laying there; Until Mya touched his shoulder.

“It’s not the same, something is wrong. Can’t you feel it?” She had a faraway look in her eyes. Were they always so bronze? Weren’t they ocean blue? Todd wondered. “Todd something isn’t right here, can’t you see now? We need to save this world, it needs you.”

Todd shook his head, “seriously get a grip Mya! I’m not helping you do anything.” He waited for the explosion from the girl in front of him, but it never came. Sounds of hoof beats pounded on the ground a short distance into the woods in front of them.

Like Todd, Mya looked towards the woods but then frantically looked back at Todd’s face. She had fear written all over her face. “Todd it’s them. They’ve come!”

“Who’s come? What are you talking about now Mya?” Todd asked skeptically as the sounds came nearer.

“Todd, run! Go! Use the stone, do something. Get out of here!” She gave him a shake as she gripped his arm. Her eyes even darker then before and growing steadily darker as a wild look flooded her face.

The boy finally realized this was no joke, “what about you? What’s going on Mya?” But she just shook her head. Todd gripped her hand still wrapped around his arm, but before another word escaped his lips, talking drifted from the trees.

“Are you sure they are here?” A sinister voice asked harshly.

“Shut up, of course they are; the Dark One is never wrong. He said He could sense a disturbance here in the woods. Something must be here,” another voice answered with a snarl.

Todd caught a glimpse of a shadow pass behind the trees and glanced at Mya. Her eyes were completely dark bronze now and she was staring off as if she was seeing something Todd couldn’t. She was growing weak against him and he found himself having to hold her up. “We have to go,” she whispered strangely.

Todd nodded, and looked down at the stone, slowly curling his fingers around it. Think of the park. Think of the park. He chanted to himself.

“Ah! We found you!” A voice yelled triumphantly.

Todd looked up, two giant black horses stood not thirty feet away from him, blood red gear adorned them and their eyes were black with deep red centers. Their tales and manes were gleaming whipping in the breeze, making them appear to be aflame. But these great beasts weren’t what held Todd’s eye. It was the men; no, not men but creatures atop them. The one in the front wore a draping cloak, trimmed in gold. His face was hidden by the shadow cast by the hood he wore. His hands, almost translucent they were so white, gripped the reins. The other one behind him wasn’t much different except that his face wasn’t hidden. Todd flinched as he rested his eyes on him. The creature’s eyes were pure black, making it impossible to tell where he was looking. His cheeks were so gaunt he looked as if he were dead and already rotting away. His hair, black and gleaming like his horse, hung loose around his shoulders, making a painful contrast to his skin.

“Come you two, the Dark One wants to see you,” the one in front said.

Todd gripped the stone more tightly and started his concentration again. The one behind whipped his head in Todd’s direction. “He runs!” he screeched and started forward, instantly the other started as well.

Todd backed up, pulling Mya with him. “Mya wake up! Come on I need your help!” Nothing was happening with the stone and Todd was panicking. The horsemen were pounding closer, as Todd tried to get back towards the trees. He felt the stone grow hot in his hand; it began to burn into his skin. “Ah!” Todd yelled letting go of Mya and gripping his hand. Mya slipped to the ground by his feet, still dazed. “Dang!” Todd yelled, as he looked at the horsemen, Mya, and his hand all within a minute. The stone was still burning but it seemed to be melting to his skin, and it shone brightly. The light hypnotized him as he watched the stone slowly press itself into his skin. The burning had stopped and now it was as if water were being poured into his hand.

His reverie was cut short when he heard Mya gasp, “Todd!”

He blinked and looked down, but Mya wasn’t there, in her place were horse legs, Todd jumped backward. The one with black eyes had Mya slung in front of him, and was attempting to keep her from falling off. Todd glanced over his shoulder and saw the over one coming for him. “No!” Todd shouted and jumped clear. “Mya!” Then there was a flash of light and Todd felt himself falling and rolling. When he stopped on his back he opened his eyes and looked around him; the clear sky above him, the fresh cut grass beneath him, and the shouts of children playing.

Todd slammed a fist into the ground, cursing silently as he thought of Mya. A pain shot through his arm and he lifted his hand. A symmetrical shape was burned into his palm where the stone had been. Todd touched it with his other hand. There was no raised skin; it was smooth, as though there were nothing there. He sat up and looked at the ground around him, the stone was nowhere. “Where did it go?” he muttered under his breath as he walked up the hill he had tumbled down.

Todd looked back at his palm, “no way.” He said just for the benefit of his own ears. “That can’t be- how do I go back and help Mya if the stone is gone? I couldn’t have … absorbed it!” Todd sunk to the ground.

 Todd, listen to me, you can help me. All is not lost. You don’t need the stone; it’s a part of you now, just as it always was meant to be.

Todd’s eyes widened, “Mya?”

Yes Todd it’s me, I can talk to you with my mind. I’m alright; the Shadows are taking me to the Dark One. He won’t harm me as long as I’m useful to him. He needs me too- Ah!

 “Mya!” Todd leaned forward apprehensively.

I’m fine I- I just fell.

Todd’s anger flared, “those creatures! Don’t worry Mya I’m coming to get you out of there.”

No! Don’t you see? They don’t know I can talk to you like this, I can tell you all their plans, and you can use that to your advantage and save this world!

“Mya I don’t even know what I’m doing, I need your help to even start saving that world. I can’t just show up there and fight! I need an army, I need information on what I’m fighting, who I’m fighting for!”

You’ll receive all that information when the time comes, I have to go Todd. We’re approaching the Dark One.

“Please Mya! Don’t go yet, tell me more!” Todd listened, but she didn’t reply. “Great,” he muttered and took one more glance at the tattoo he never thought he’d get, permanently burned into his palm.



© 2010 Scarlett Dale


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You have done what is unique to few writers. You managed to pull your readers right into the story. The pacing is swift and the narrative moves along at a brisk pace. The story is full of possibilities, You make the reader want more. The story is off to a very good start. There are, however, some grammatical errors, punctuation errors, but you have done your first job and that is to get to story down on paper, in this case Writers' Cafe. Your second job is to go back and proofread and vigorously edit your story to make it better. I like what you have done here. You are off to a very fine start and the story should only get better.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

You have done what is unique to few writers. You managed to pull your readers right into the story. The pacing is swift and the narrative moves along at a brisk pace. The story is full of possibilities, You make the reader want more. The story is off to a very good start. There are, however, some grammatical errors, punctuation errors, but you have done your first job and that is to get to story down on paper, in this case Writers' Cafe. Your second job is to go back and proofread and vigorously edit your story to make it better. I like what you have done here. You are off to a very fine start and the story should only get better.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hmmm, this is a very interesting story so far. I want to see more. :]

-Nicole

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

119 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 24, 2009
Last Updated on April 9, 2010


Author

Scarlett Dale
Scarlett Dale

About
I'm what you call a strange person. I love to write and when I do I feel as if it's coming straight from my heart onto the paper. Especially with my poetry. I was never one for poetry (writing it anyw.. more..

Writing
Ashes Ashes

A Poem by Scarlett Dale