Tryst with a plagiarist

Tryst with a plagiarist

A Story by Christopher Withers

I felt obliged to create this article detailing a recent confrontation with plagiarism and actions I felt compelled to take to protect my writing and myself.

During the 2006-2010 period I was fairly active on a couple of poetry sites - the starlightcafe and poemhunter. Since then, I've posted very little poetry and my interests have pushed me in other directions. 

Just over a week ago, I received an email from poemhunter stating a user had sent me a message. I tend to ignore these, as they are usually spam, but something piqued my interest so I logged in to read it.

The message was from a user who kindly informed me that someone had started to post my poetry to hellopoetry and writerscafe, claiming the work as their own. I immediately followed the links and was met with a mixture of shock, anxiety and anger . Someone called Chris G. Vaillancourt had indeed stolen two pieces of my work. Someone had commented on one of the poems that it was stolen with a link to my original. I have no idea how they discovered this, but I presume they had suspicions about him, and so were checking any new work he posted. I am eternally grateful for the people who took their time to do this and track me down.

What made this betrayal worse, was that he had received extremely positive, glowing, excellent feedback on my poems. It's hard to describe how such theft hits you, I was surprised by the depth of my feelings. Here was a published poet with seemingly established circles of friends and reviewers, and I was someone who hadn't posted much since 2010 and my work was fairly obscure. 

I could barely focus at work that day, and spent a large part of my time trying to find ways of informing the admins of the sites in question about the plagiarised poems. I freelance, so my actions only effected my own pocket. 

I first created accounts on hellopoetry and writerscafe and immediately left comments on the poems in question, asking Chris to take down my poems and informing him that I'd reported him.

An admin at hellopoetry replied almost instantly and took the poems in question down. I'm unsure if Chris himself deleted the poems, or it they were removed by an admin at writerscafe, but I never received a response. Chris pretty much instantly deleted my comments and blocked me from viewing his writing. I was then messaged by a user (I think they might have been a moderator) who accused me of causing trouble.

Proof of the two poems he stole from me can be seen here:

Chris posted this in August



and here is my original from 2009:

http://www.thestarlitecafe.com/poems/105/poem_91104317.html


The second poem of mine he plagiarized was called 'Death is cold', which he renamed to 'Death Is Just Cold' and posted in July:




My original, which I posted in 2009 can be seen here:


What made this one worse is that I wrote this poem after the death of a beloved family pet, and here I find someone stealing it and claiming ownership of it.

I was stumped as what to do now, from viewing Chris's profile whilst logged out, he seemed popular and had an extensive network of friends. Also, being contacted by one user already accusing me of trouble making, I was worried about getting banned from writerscafe before spreading knowledge of his deeds.

I'm fairly web savvy, so I decided to start a blog listing examples of Chris's plagiarism with irrefutable proof, in the hope that if people wouldn't believe my word, they could at least look at the evidence for themselves.

I started to look through Chris's earlier work, utilising a number of search engines to see if it had ever appeared elsewhere. What I discovered was pretty shocking. In the first 5 pages of his poetry collection, I found over 10 other plagiarised poems. I got a friend to post evidence of plagiarisation on two of these poems, but he instantly deleted the comments, then shortly deleted the poems, before blocking my friends account.

He seemed to discover my blog and started to delete all the poems I flagged up, I guess the weight of deleted poems became too much, as today he has closed his account. I presume this is an attempt to stop my looking into other poems in his collection, of which I'd barely scratched the surface.

The poems he plagiarized seemed to exist on obscure sites, and their authors had been inactive for many years - so I presume which is why he felt confident in getting away with his actions.

I'll next list other poems which I found had been copied:

Cold wall of real

Chris posted this poem in 2014, claiming he’d first published it in 2005:

http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/sanctus/1386388/

But the exact same poem can be found here, published a year earlier:

http://sinatrainred.blogspot.de/2004/08/cold-wall-of-real.html


Parasite

Chris posted this poem in 2014, claiming he published it in a book in 2010:

http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/sanctus/1389888/

cached: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ZGytV2-Da3EJ:www.writerscafe.org/writing/sanctus/1389888/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Here is the original poem, posted by JadedxEvil in 2008

http://allpoetry.com/poem/4214425-Parasite-by-JadedxEvil

If this plagiarised work was indeed printed, this makes his actions even worse.

Coffee shop

Chris posted this poem in 2014:

http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/sanctus/1396343/

Cached: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Zl1ye77qN0gJ:www.writerscafe.org/writing/sanctus/1396343/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

but it was originally posted by Frederic Kolman in 2009 Titled “Marvelous at the Coffee Shop” here:

http://www.writingroom.com/viewwriting/frederic/Marvelous-at-the-Coffee-Shop

Thinking In Nostalgic Fashion

Chris posted this poem in 2014:

http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/sanctus/1373144/

Cached: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:uoizTQmM6hgJ:www.writerscafe.org/writing/sanctus/1373144/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

A lot of the prose was taken from this poem posted in 2007:

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/3898337datingPostpage25.aspx by LyricalMuse (near the bottom of the page)


Many more examples can be found here:
http://timdanes.tumblr.com/

I'm hoping the weight of evidence presented will allow other people to see exactly what Chris did, and will hopefully save other poets from the same fate.

© 2014 Christopher Withers


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I can tell you this is a sad tale. However it is also a cautionary one as we all know what it is to work so hard and get so little other than our fellows praise. But to take that from someone and claim it as your own is not in line with decent conduct. It is rude at best and theft at worst'.I cannot approve of this behavior but I can chose my friends and for who and what I will bleed.I am sorry this happened to you. We are all failed characters as are all men and women but we are supposed to be friends here.

Posted 9 Years Ago


14 of 14 people found this review constructive.

Arrinae

9 Years Ago

Mr. Morgan, thank you for the R&R
LL

9 Years Ago

I agree with you Tate.
Tate Morgan

9 Years Ago

thank you levi



Reviews

I thank you for your work on this matter, its a terrible thing to think something we wrote may be doing the rounds God knows where under his name, this is a crime, there is a law against it and probably it will just slip away and be forgotten eventually but right now it needs to be brought out into the open and whoever runs these sites have to deal with it, it is terrible you were accused of trouble making, anything bearing his name must be deleted from every record of poetry, the multiple IDs tracked down and removed, a tough job and one for someone who knows their way round computing better than my meager knowledge, I applaud you again for your work on this and hope we all see an end to him soon.

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

R Smith

9 Years Ago

I think that's all we can do, I have wondered about his name and its true we don't really know who h.. read more
Christopher Withers

9 Years Ago

Elizabeth was one of the people who first informed me of his deeds :)
R Smith

9 Years Ago

just checking around and he appears to be on poemhunter, hope someone hunts him !
oh yes we have gotten to see many
sides of him I have him block I didn't see any words
that were the same in my work I did a poem called You're a liar to yourself trying to be others words
and it was reflecting on him taking others work.

http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/GiggleBuG79/1411265/


Thank you for sharing it is horrible when someone
dose this I don't even think he knows who he is from
all the different accounts and Identities he has it will catch
up to him and he will lose who he is and forget.


thank you for sharing.


Blessings. Benita

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Christopher Withers

9 Years Ago

Thank you for being so supportive Benita, it means a lot :)
Benita-Staebell M - KindredPoet

9 Years Ago

you're welcome. I hope that things get better I've been praying about this situation. don't stop wri.. read more
WARNING! I am very baked out and a little bit stoned by Miss Mary Jane. That being said this review will dismiss any modern theories of a 'higher ground' or enforce a fake moral majority.

This review will not contain any sort of basis but a fair judgement that can only be brought by someone who has smoked 9 bowls in one sitting.

Second WARNING! This is gonna sound long winded like when your a kid and your granpa tells you smoking is bad for you.


Here is a bit of personal history, I used to do stand up comedy. Nothing heavy but places that you would find in between the back pages. Now I had a rare talent where I could speak in different accents, my Scottish accent was my best, and being Mexican people loved it, I had this joke about smoking cigarettes and people loved it. Week after week, the laughs were coming like fish into a net.

Than some one grab my bit, I would not have been sore if they changed it to something else. When asked to read this, I had a lot of feelings. I am not a great writer or critic. Just a dude. However, I felt something of anger. Now a lot of my more learned reviewers there is a lot of feeling of malice. But in my case, I remember the night my joke was stolen and when my arms and body want to break the thief.

Ain't my point to judge, but a confession if your an old school Catholic like me is always good.





Better than repenting.................












Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Christopher Withers

9 Years Ago

Thank you for your comments. I'm sorry to hear the same thing happened to you - I have to say, you'r.. read more
I can't stand the fact that we were all duped by this lowdown snake ..I commemed on many of the above mentioned pieces...even the "parasite"poem....how ironic ...he should ne banned forever from poetry sites..thank Christopher for posting this...we are happy to ne informed about this joker..sorry you were one of his victims...glad to have you at wc..

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Christopher Withers

9 Years Ago

Thank you Fran. It was awful for me, but I cannot imagine how awful it must be for others who actual.. read more
What a pig! I hope he never finds happiness in anything he truly creates! The one thing I enjoy about writing is watching something come to life on paper, how can you enjoy it if you can't create it!

We all dare to be dreamers, but only the talented can breed life from their minds...

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Christopher Withers

9 Years Ago

I agree Benny. All I can think is that once he was established, perhaps it's the praise rather than .. read more
I got into it with Vaillancourt several months ago over a poem he wrote talking s**t about the armed forces that was out and out hate speech. I wrote a short piece condemning him for it and supplied a link to his piece so other writers could tell them what they thought as well. As I suspected he got slammed and for a couple of days the heat was on his page. When the smoke cleared I took my piece down. After that we've stayed away from each other. No blocking, just stayed away, and now there's this plagiarism scandal. With all the sock puppet accounts and sneaking around he supposedly did on here I wonder where in the hell he found the time or why he would go through so much trouble just to rip off poems from the WC. There has to be better things to do in Canada than that. Take up yodeling or some s**t, I don't know. Anyway, his account's closed so we can all be cold war era paranoid as f**k of new site members because of Vallencourt. What a d****e.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The Twin Arenas

9 Years Ago

yodelling.
Christopher Withers

9 Years Ago

Thank you for commenting. I can't comprehend what drives someone to become so obsessed with a site t.. read more
He called one of my poems "angst piece seeking pity"
You're not alone in this.

When anyone would comment anything negative on his facebook page (even if it was true) he would delete it instantly and block anyone who spoke ill of him.

When someone tried defending me, he was rude and ignorant. He may seem kind, but his true colors aren't.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Christopher Withers

9 Years Ago

I can't understand the mentality of someone like that. Don't like a poem? Either keep quiet or at le.. read more
as i have often said...if someone does something like this...how can he or she live with it, and call it "my art" when they know damn well it isn't.

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Christopher Withers

9 Years Ago

This is one of the things which has been playing on my mind. Perhaps it's just the kind of person I .. read more
jacob erin-cilberto

9 Years Ago

makes me really sad when something like this happens....really sad...it's so unfortunate.
That is horrifying! I thought the whole time that he was one of those poets who had been into writing for years and had perfected his art. Now I am concerned about my work, also because many of my friends have warned me for plagiarism. I think admins should be more careful and helpful about it. Dont let him go, my best wishes are with you Christopher and thanks for sharing this information with me Tate.

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Christopher Withers

9 Years Ago

Thank you Penny :)
I found searching on fragments of your work should bring up any plagiarised.. read more
Penny

9 Years Ago

You are doing a good job sir.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

9781 Views
84 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 12 Libraries
Added on September 18, 2014
Last Updated on September 19, 2014
Tags: plagiarist, plagirisation

Author

Christopher Withers
Christopher Withers

About
I recently discovered a user on this site had been posting my poems as his own. To combat this, I've decided to post my poetry here, hopefully stopping this from happening again. The poet in questi.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Aris Aris

A Poem by Tate Morgan