Tryst with a plagiarist

Tryst with a plagiarist

A Story by Christopher Withers

I felt obliged to create this article detailing a recent confrontation with plagiarism and actions I felt compelled to take to protect my writing and myself.

During the 2006-2010 period I was fairly active on a couple of poetry sites - the starlightcafe and poemhunter. Since then, I've posted very little poetry and my interests have pushed me in other directions. 

Just over a week ago, I received an email from poemhunter stating a user had sent me a message. I tend to ignore these, as they are usually spam, but something piqued my interest so I logged in to read it.

The message was from a user who kindly informed me that someone had started to post my poetry to hellopoetry and writerscafe, claiming the work as their own. I immediately followed the links and was met with a mixture of shock, anxiety and anger . Someone called Chris G. Vaillancourt had indeed stolen two pieces of my work. Someone had commented on one of the poems that it was stolen with a link to my original. I have no idea how they discovered this, but I presume they had suspicions about him, and so were checking any new work he posted. I am eternally grateful for the people who took their time to do this and track me down.

What made this betrayal worse, was that he had received extremely positive, glowing, excellent feedback on my poems. It's hard to describe how such theft hits you, I was surprised by the depth of my feelings. Here was a published poet with seemingly established circles of friends and reviewers, and I was someone who hadn't posted much since 2010 and my work was fairly obscure. 

I could barely focus at work that day, and spent a large part of my time trying to find ways of informing the admins of the sites in question about the plagiarised poems. I freelance, so my actions only effected my own pocket. 

I first created accounts on hellopoetry and writerscafe and immediately left comments on the poems in question, asking Chris to take down my poems and informing him that I'd reported him.

An admin at hellopoetry replied almost instantly and took the poems in question down. I'm unsure if Chris himself deleted the poems, or it they were removed by an admin at writerscafe, but I never received a response. Chris pretty much instantly deleted my comments and blocked me from viewing his writing. I was then messaged by a user (I think they might have been a moderator) who accused me of causing trouble.

Proof of the two poems he stole from me can be seen here:

Chris posted this in August



and here is my original from 2009:

http://www.thestarlitecafe.com/poems/105/poem_91104317.html


The second poem of mine he plagiarized was called 'Death is cold', which he renamed to 'Death Is Just Cold' and posted in July:




My original, which I posted in 2009 can be seen here:


What made this one worse is that I wrote this poem after the death of a beloved family pet, and here I find someone stealing it and claiming ownership of it.

I was stumped as what to do now, from viewing Chris's profile whilst logged out, he seemed popular and had an extensive network of friends. Also, being contacted by one user already accusing me of trouble making, I was worried about getting banned from writerscafe before spreading knowledge of his deeds.

I'm fairly web savvy, so I decided to start a blog listing examples of Chris's plagiarism with irrefutable proof, in the hope that if people wouldn't believe my word, they could at least look at the evidence for themselves.

I started to look through Chris's earlier work, utilising a number of search engines to see if it had ever appeared elsewhere. What I discovered was pretty shocking. In the first 5 pages of his poetry collection, I found over 10 other plagiarised poems. I got a friend to post evidence of plagiarisation on two of these poems, but he instantly deleted the comments, then shortly deleted the poems, before blocking my friends account.

He seemed to discover my blog and started to delete all the poems I flagged up, I guess the weight of deleted poems became too much, as today he has closed his account. I presume this is an attempt to stop my looking into other poems in his collection, of which I'd barely scratched the surface.

The poems he plagiarized seemed to exist on obscure sites, and their authors had been inactive for many years - so I presume which is why he felt confident in getting away with his actions.

I'll next list other poems which I found had been copied:

Cold wall of real

Chris posted this poem in 2014, claiming he’d first published it in 2005:

http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/sanctus/1386388/

But the exact same poem can be found here, published a year earlier:

http://sinatrainred.blogspot.de/2004/08/cold-wall-of-real.html


Parasite

Chris posted this poem in 2014, claiming he published it in a book in 2010:

http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/sanctus/1389888/

cached: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ZGytV2-Da3EJ:www.writerscafe.org/writing/sanctus/1389888/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Here is the original poem, posted by JadedxEvil in 2008

http://allpoetry.com/poem/4214425-Parasite-by-JadedxEvil

If this plagiarised work was indeed printed, this makes his actions even worse.

Coffee shop

Chris posted this poem in 2014:

http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/sanctus/1396343/

Cached: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Zl1ye77qN0gJ:www.writerscafe.org/writing/sanctus/1396343/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

but it was originally posted by Frederic Kolman in 2009 Titled “Marvelous at the Coffee Shop” here:

http://www.writingroom.com/viewwriting/frederic/Marvelous-at-the-Coffee-Shop

Thinking In Nostalgic Fashion

Chris posted this poem in 2014:

http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/sanctus/1373144/

Cached: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:uoizTQmM6hgJ:www.writerscafe.org/writing/sanctus/1373144/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

A lot of the prose was taken from this poem posted in 2007:

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/3898337datingPostpage25.aspx by LyricalMuse (near the bottom of the page)


Many more examples can be found here:
http://timdanes.tumblr.com/

I'm hoping the weight of evidence presented will allow other people to see exactly what Chris did, and will hopefully save other poets from the same fate.

© 2014 Christopher Withers


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I can tell you this is a sad tale. However it is also a cautionary one as we all know what it is to work so hard and get so little other than our fellows praise. But to take that from someone and claim it as your own is not in line with decent conduct. It is rude at best and theft at worst'.I cannot approve of this behavior but I can chose my friends and for who and what I will bleed.I am sorry this happened to you. We are all failed characters as are all men and women but we are supposed to be friends here.

Posted 9 Years Ago


14 of 14 people found this review constructive.

Arrinae

9 Years Ago

Mr. Morgan, thank you for the R&R
LL

9 Years Ago

I agree with you Tate.
Tate Morgan

9 Years Ago

thank you levi



Reviews

Well said, and thank you for the effort. I received many a review from him, and another of his identities. I can't help but wonder, am I going to stumble across some familiar words?

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Christopher Withers

9 Years Ago

Thank you Jon. I guess we all need to remain vigilant.
Jon Roggie

9 Years Ago

No, thank you for your efforts.
Christopher, thank you for the detailed account of this clown's BS. I find the most ironic title claimed by him is "Parasite" how appropriate is that.
He ran with many alter egos on here, and I am sure on other sites as well, many of those have suddenly deleted their work, and closed their accounts, a couple leaving a message about the witch hunt on here.
I cannot understand the motivation for all the machinations CV went through to maintain a high profile, after all this gig pays such great rates for our writing, but he has closed his account after deleting everything you flagged.
I don't expect this is the last we will see of him, in some version or another, sad widow, young proud Canadian, a senior woman whose avatar happens to be a stock photo for pleasant, white haired senior woman, or a soccer mom.
Thank you for your hard work here, and I hope you decide to stay, as the writing I have read by you is really good stuff.

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Christopher Withers

9 Years Ago

Thank you Noel. This is what I can't understand. He was published, and with the write nature, could .. read more
I know I speak for all of us in thanking you for the time and diligence you're putting into this ongoing saga...I join the others in assuring you that your efforts are not going unnoticed or unappreciated...the word is spreading pretty quickly now and he must be running out of options by now...again, I thank you for all you've done.

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Christopher Withers

9 Years Ago

Thank you, your words do mean a lot :). I was expecting some hostility by making such evidence publi.. read more
kublakhan27

9 Years Ago

Always a pleasure my friend :)
His feedback was always benign in my estimation, he had few choice words he threw out there to bait people to read his own work, who knew he was such a phony at the time, and most of those works weren't even his! For shame....thanks for making this public, everyone needs to be made aware of this devious scoundrel.

Posted 9 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Christopher Withers

9 Years Ago

Thank you Frieda. Whilst looking into his actions, noticing the frequency of his vague comments, I w.. read more
Frieda P

9 Years Ago

You're very welcome, he's bad news, glad he's old news....
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
It's such a shame that bad things happen to good people. Our words, as poets, are our hearts--our raw emotions penned to life. The fact that we even choose to share our works is hoping to reach out to others, to create an outlet for pains and joys. It is us pouring trust into others.

It absolutely disgusts me that others are so shameless as to just take the words of another and label them as their own. MomzillaNC wrote a wonderful poem on this topic and I left quite the review there, so I won't ramble too much.

While most of my heart is in horror of the fact that people like "Chris" exist, part of me thanks those few that notice the crime and bring it to light. It is easy to shut down postings things after such an act is committed against you--and in fact, that is what I would do. But those few others who stand up against this injustice remind me of the fact that there are people out there who care--who take interest in writing and reading for all the right reasons.

This should be a supportive community--one that let's everyone have a unique voice.

I hope that such disrespect never comes to you again!

~MusicManiac

Posted 9 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Christopher Withers

9 Years Ago

Thank you MusicManiac. I was inclined to delete my works, but I figured in doing so, I'd lose all ev.. read more
Thank you so much for further highlighting this villain. I'm a visual artist and a poet. I don't know if he's purloined my words. But, I have had my visual art stolen. I once reached out to someone my art teacher recommended. The woman worked for a prestigious chain department store in Florida. I sent some 50 design illustrations to her for her feedback and direction on how to proceed in pursuit of a career in fashion design. She sent me an encouraging letter and all my drawings back after about 2 or 3 months. The next year, I was at my gran's. We were watching a show about stellar new designers. Parading down the runway were MY DESIGNS. Every single one of my designs -- all 30 some works displayed as that woman's original work! I grabbed my drawings and showed them to my grandparents. They could clearly see that the designs were mine.

I simply have no words for the sense of betrayal and helplessness. I never heard anything more of that cow. But, my grandparents didn't have any clue what to do, and neither did I (I was only 14). My parents didn't want me to be an artist and most certainly not a fashion designer, so were unwilling to pursue any recourse.

I just had to let that cow revel in accolades for my work. The store wouldn't even talk to me; I was just some dumb kid!

I truly believe that plagiarists are enslaving someone else's genius. They have nothing to offer from their empty souls.

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

Well, I was 14. It was a long time ago, just another part of the bad old years… a place my life no.. read more
Christopher Withers

9 Years Ago

I guess, at 14 it's an important lesson learned! I'm sure you've more than distinguished yourself in.. read more
MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

I never became a fashion designer. I am an artist. That's not what I do, not something you choose to.. read more
I'm sorry this happened to you. I think a few of us know exactly how this feels.
I shut down my account because of his BS (heat of the moment thing, I'm back now as you can see).
But I am a bit suspicious of people now, I feel like I lost a bit of innocence.
Your poetry is great and I really hope we've stopped him from hurting any more people.
I did notice that he's closed his account but I would not be surprised if he came back under a different name.

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Christopher Withers

9 Years Ago

Thank you Ana, and I'm sorry to hear you've experienced similar. It's crazy how some people gain som.. read more
f*****g crazy. there was something totally robotic about that guy. a sad thing.

viva la brains right side.

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Christopher Withers

9 Years Ago

Thank you Waconda :) I'm still trying to make sense of it all!
Thank you so much for posting this, it makes me sad that Chris turned out to be a plagiarist I thought of him as an experienced writer that I could learn from in my pursuit of bettering myself. All those times I would hear that he liked my poetry it make me feel more accomplished. Though now I see that his words don't mean anything. He committed the greatest sin of an artist of the written word and that makes me very sad. Thank you Christopher Withers for posting this and thank you Tate Morgan who sent me the RR.

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Malister Mikey

9 Years Ago

I used to hold great regard for Chris so it was upsetting news. Though I'm happy to of gotten it and.. read more
Christopher Withers

9 Years Ago

If I'm honest, if I hadn't been the victim of this, I'd perhaps have been taken in by his plethora o.. read more
Malister Mikey

9 Years Ago

Yeah I know, I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt
just checked his page it has been closed

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

9781 Views
84 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 12 Libraries
Added on September 18, 2014
Last Updated on September 19, 2014
Tags: plagiarist, plagirisation

Author

Christopher Withers
Christopher Withers

About
I recently discovered a user on this site had been posting my poems as his own. To combat this, I've decided to post my poetry here, hopefully stopping this from happening again. The poet in questi.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Aris Aris

A Poem by Tate Morgan