7. A Dad's Revenge

7. A Dad's Revenge

A Chapter by tabile

The warmth of the night hugged Lucas' skin. He was perched on a bench in front of the school building, a necklace dangling and clinging to his curled fingers. He raised the accessory until it was level to his eyes, saw the glint of the diamond embedded in the streaming gold, and smiled a smile that lit up his eyes.

"Don't move."

Lucas didn't budge, and he kept his breathing very calm and rhythmical. "Who are you?" he asked.

"Aren't you Jerry's step-son?" the voice said. It was a breezy voice that carried with it quite some vengeance-seeking tone.

“How do you know Jerry?” Lucas questioned.

“Well, aren’t I lucky? Don’t take this personally. Jerry beat up my son, and it turned out pretty bad. My son’s in the hospital now, and no amount of salary can pay for my son’s hospital bills. It’s a dog-eat-dog world, and I’ll have to do something to get my revenge.”

The man held a knife by its dark hilt, poking it against Lucas’ abdomen. “You wouldn’t,” Lucas said calmly, glancing at the man in the corner of his eyes.

“I’m afraid I have to,” the man said, a tear sliding down from his right eye. After those five gentle words, the man stabbed Lucas at the side and widened his eyes at the revenge he sought. Blood. Blood was seeping through Lucas’ shirt, all the redness trickling down with its thick liquid. Lucas’ cheeks soon blanched, and the colour in his face gradually drained.

“I did what I had to!” the man said, sprinting away as he wept. I thought that maybe the man must have had some type of brain illness, otherwise who in the right mind would kill someone who was innocent?

Groaning with pain, Lucas collapsed onto the ground, his breath hitched in his parched throat. His vision was obscured by sudden tears; little tear droplets were spilling from those slightly ajar eyes.

Wild thoughts raced through his head. He still needed to talk to Sofia. He wanted to straighten things up with her. He couldn’t die here... and yet there he was, slowly wilting away as death welcomed him.

In his hands nestled that golden necklace that he meant to give Sofia. It was stained with darkened blood, and it was drowned in the pool of redness that stretched across the concrete ground.

Image

Sofia took thirty more minutes to arrive at her destination. When she reached it, she found a frozen body on the ground, sprawled, blanched, unmoving. The corpse lay there like a doll, only this one was someone Sofia knew.

The boyish frame that flopped on the ground was soaked with an unbelievable amount of blood.

"Lucas..." It was a surprise that her voice could still process that sound from her throat, considering her mind had drawn an utter blankness. With her hands rushing up to cover her lips, she just stood there for a while.

That was how she found out Lucas was dead.

I awoke at midnight, the moon glowing on my skin. A cold chill fluttered through my spine as I wiped my sweat-drenched forehead. Closing my eyes, I whispered, "Lucas... I think I know why you're showing me your past."


© 2012 tabile


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
Added on March 28, 2012
Last Updated on March 30, 2012


Author

tabile
tabile

Canada



Writing
Racing Breeze Racing Breeze

A Poem by tabile


Free Falling Free Falling

A Poem by tabile