Memory Lane

Memory Lane

A Story by Diane

The November air was cool and crisp. I could smell the leaves as they crunched under my feet. It was a perfect autumn day to be walking down the old dirt road called Memory Lane. This is where I learned how to ride my first bike, met my first crush and endured my first heartbreak.

Just around the curve is where we would play hide and seek and enjoy campfires on cool nights. There is where we would play red rover and red light green light. It's where we built huts with fallen branches and pretended to be hunting wild animals in the jungle with makeshift guns and spears.

A lot has changed since then. I look back and remember that those were the simpler times and how I had everything I could want as a child. If I knew then what I would have to go through, I would have enjoyed those days so much more. Since then everything has changed, not all for the bad, but not all for the good either. What I learned back then is what made me who I am today.

© 2017 Diane


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is such a short, precise, truthful, nostalgic and poignant story.
This has such immense universal appeal, for anybody can definitely relate to it, for we all have so many childhood memories of things and times we look back on with fondness.
I guess, since we cannot go back physically to our childhood, we can always cultivate a child's innocence in us, in the way we live with love and kindness (though now with maturity we're far from being push-overs or anybody's doormats). Though the beard is present and big breasts apparent, there is still our inner child.
And thus our duty now is to make life a wonderful, loving and memorable experience for our small little brothers and sisters, our little daughters and sons, so that they don't, like some of us adults, look back on their childhood with regrets and disgust. Let us learn from where things went wrong for us, and make it right for our present and future seeds.
I love how the title 'Memory Lane' was cleverly used to depict your concept: 'Walking down the old dirty road called Memory Lane.'
This story has both a poetic and story value.
This is definitely specific to you and general to us; and that is what poets and writers in general seek to do: portray the genuine and personal (whilst staying true to oneself) and yet generally reaching many.

This is what poetry and good stories should do (which is what you've done here): to evoke genuine important emotions of reflection, meditation and a moral (that makes us want to change for the better)

WELL DONE

Posted 6 Years Ago


Diane

6 Years Ago

I really enjoyed your great detailed review. Thank you very much!!
And, in many important ways, obviously sustained you.
Your writing has impact, Diane!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Diane

6 Years Ago

Thanks for the complement and the review. Much appreciated.
This is outstanding--both for the marvelous, introspective message and also the smooth, flawless way you write it. On the subject, I embrace it fully, for I have thoughts much like yours.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Diane

6 Years Ago

aw thanks for your kindness packed review.
don`t we wish we could go back in time,just for a while

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Diane

6 Years Ago

From time to time I do. Thank you for the review.
 wordman

6 Years Ago

my pleasure

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

262 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 22, 2017
Last Updated on November 22, 2017

Author

Diane
Diane

MI



About
My name is Diane Garner and I live in southeast Michigan with with my husband and two young daughters. I grew up in Gaylord, Michigan, with My mom and brother. I moved to the Detroit area in my late t.. more..

Writing
Quinn's Faith Quinn's Faith

A Story by Diane


Thank You Thank You

A Poem by Diane


Invisible Invisible

A Poem by Diane



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


A falling man A falling man

A Story by Rasheem