Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Know That I Too
We are never alone (a poem for mental health month)
January 1, 20XX

January 1, 20XX

A Chapter by Michelle Raye

There are those days you wake up, and not a thing feels right. You turn your head to the table and look at the cell phone beeping at you to tell you that you've had a voicemail since 12:01PM last night. You look at it, your whole body tired, and see that it's from your sister. The one that you haven't heard from in three years.

"Hey, little brother! It's midnight! Happy New Year! I hope you have tons of fun this year and I hope that your first day of the new year is full of wonderful surprises!" said the cheery voice. She sounded drunk. Melissa never could refuse a drink when offered. "Well, I called also to see how you were doing. It's been a long time and no one can get a hold of you."

Not mom.

"Not mom." Said Melissa.

Not dad.

"Not dad." She told me.

Not cousin Mel. I chuckled slightly.

"Not cousin Mel. No one. It's like, you've disappeared from the family. It's sad really. So that's why I'm calling. I want your new year resolution to be getting more involved with the people you love. Start by getting your head and heart checked. So you know which one needs to get better to get more involved." She laughed. Then she was silent for a second. "Looks like your phone is yelling at me to stop, little bro. I love you and hope you'll do better with getting back with your family."

And then she hung up. The electronic voice told me that there were no other messages from anyone else. I closed the silver new phone I got last year and didn't bother to tell anyone the number. I looked at the time. 7:00AM. I didn't have to work but thought about going to the office anyway. Nothing else to do today. No one beside me in bed to spend the new year with. If I was any sane woman I wouldn't want to spend New Years day with me either. I groan and got out of bed, the morning chill settling over my apartment. The heater broke again.

Wonderful surprises. Yeah.

My daily ritual was simple. Get up, shower, brush teeth, shave (if necessary), and get ready for either work, or for another day of being alone. For three years, this has been my life. And why change it? It seems like a pretty safe life to me.

I looked at my calandar and stared at the date. My sister had a point about one thing. I should probably get a doctor's appointment. I looked at tomorrow and saw my schedule was completely open. As usual. Just as I got the doctor on the phone, I noticed that this didn't feel right. Just as nothing else did. I sighed and hung up the phone.

Day 1 of a 365 day year that is going to be the same as last year. Starting off with a check-up.



© 2010 Michelle Raye


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hmmmm..... interesting. Yeah i guess i wouldnt want to spend an entire year with him too xD

I must say you have a very realistic way of writing. One of a kind that i have ever seen actually. I can easily picture the entire scene in my mind and thats a great thing!

I liked this... Lets see where this is going...

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 17, 2009
Last Updated on January 19, 2010


Author

Michelle Raye
Michelle Raye

Riverview, MI



About
Salut! Je m'appelle Michelle! Je suis 17 ans. (Hello! My name is Michelle! I have 17 years!) Part-time daughter of a single parent, Part-time girlfriend to loving guy, and a full-time pain towards.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Michelle Raye