Sleeping Soul

Sleeping Soul

A Chapter by Rachello Harmonia

The past few days had been a nonstop adventure. I had made new friends and for the first time ever, some enemies. I wasn’t talking about school bullies or a mean teacher, not a rivalry or the bratty girl in my health class. I meant a real enemy. Someone who made my heart pound with fear and my face flush with anger at the sound of his name. The worst part was I didn’t even know what he wanted. I knew he wanted his hands on my amulet, but I mean why? For what reason? I didn’t know where he was or when he would strike next. I just wished he would leave my sister, my family, my friends out of it.
I was at ease for a while, though. Life on Earth fell back into routine and the shadow on Mirror that Danny had warned me of didn’t show its face or cause any trouble. I didn’t see Tyreek anywhere, though it wasn’t like I was looking for him and I didn’t hear from Terr. I did look for him because I was convinced he had the Earth Transportation charm.
Kya’s memory was a bit fuzzy when it came to the events involving Tyreek and Mirror, so she had somehow convinced herself that it was all a bad dream. Everything had calmed down, but I had two solid reminders that, at least for while, my life as a whole was anything but an average routine life. The first was the burn around my wrist and the brand on my hand that sometimes started to hurt at random times in the day. The other was Kylee who sometimes stopped by Danny’s house to remind us that we should search for the charms. Danny usually smiled a smile that made me shiver and kindly told her to go away. I knew why. Danny was protecting me. He wanted me to rest and, for a little while, live in peace. However, it always gave me the feeling that Danny knew something he wasn’t telling me.
My peace ended all to quickly. The day of the spring equinox was when the nightmare crashed down on me. All too much happened in one day and it all started in the afternoon at Danny’s house on Earth. He called me over to talk and study with him. Danny had decided he would tutor me on World History and Government. It was beyond me to understand how Danny knew about these kinds of things, but he somehow explained it so nicely and very easy to understand.
“Yeah, I got it now,” I said, tapping my pencil on Danny's head. He was sitting in a desk chair in his room, my history textbook and homework laid out in front of him, and I was leaning over him, looking at the book from behind him. “But how did that lead to the Vietnam war?” I asked after a short pause.
“Okay, you see it-” Danny paused for a moment then started again, “The-”
“Danny, what’s wrong?”I stopped tapping and leaned forward to look at his face.
“Mm, nothing,” he replied vaguely and turned his face away.
“O-okay, then let’s finish up this chapter.” Danny was quiet for a second. I noticed his ears had drained of color. “Danny?!” I cried as he collapsed forward, his forehead cracking on the desk. I pulled him back to a sitting position by the shoulders, but he was out cold and completely limp. An image of near-dead Danny from the first shadow attack I could remember flashed through my head. My hands shook for a moment before I squeezed them into fists. What if the problem wasn't an earthly one? I had to know what was going on in Mirror.
I closed my eyes slowly and felt my heart pounding in my chest. My eyelids fluttered with panic. “There’s no way I could just sleep at a time like this,” I muttered. I pressed my palm to Danny’s forehead. He was burning up. I wrapped my arms around him and flopped onto his bed, but I only waited a minute before I decided that falling asleep at such a time was definitely impossible.
I stood up suddenly and swept the whole room with a panicked glance as if I expected there to be something that could help me. In a way, there was. My eye caught the book on Danny’s bed. It was the one I read to him in Epitome fields and that was it. A place where the line between Mirror and Earth blurred. “Danny,” I said. There was no response. I didn’t really expect one. “You’ll be alright. I’m ready now, so don’t worry. I will stop the shadow and face Tyreek so I can find out what he wants. And I will absolutely keep you safe, promise."
I wanted to make a run for Epitome fields immediately, but I wasn't sure how it was going to work and I wanted someone to watch over Danny on Earth if I went to Mirror. I could only think of one person on Earth who knew about Mirror that could be at least mildly trusted: Terr. Plus, he owed me for kidnapping me and Kya.
Ms. Gilbs wasn’t in the house. She had gone to the grocery store to buy apple and peaches for her fruit pie. I never cared much for it, too sweet. Danny liked it though. He always loved sweet things. I didn’t really want to move Danny, but I wasn’t about to leave him alone. Neither did I want Ms. Gilbs to come home and find Danny not here. The only option I saw left was to call Kya. I did. I urged her to tell me everything she heard and saw in her dream. Finally, she told me what I was looking for. “I don’t remember too well," she said, "but I remember he said something like: ‘I guess there’s only one place for a misfit like me to go at a time like this, Kylee’s alley.’”
“Thanks so much Kya,” I said quickly and hung up. Carrying Danny on my back I burst out of the house only to freeze in the front yard. Kylee’s alley? That was only on Mirror. So where had Terr gone?
Danny stirred and opened his eyes. “Kylee’s alley is...” He sounded like he was struggling to speak.
“No, ‘salright. Just sleep. I’ll find it.”
“There are places... where Earth and Mirror mirror each other perfectly... Tomayo village.”
“Ah, I know where that is. I used to go there when I was in second grade because we were allowed to go wherever we wanted for lunch. That’s not far from here.”
Tomayo village was just like I remembered it and I suddenly realized that it seemed far more familiar than I thought it would. In fact, I felt like I had recently been here in the past few days. On closer inspection I saw why. Though it looked more modern and the faces and activities were different the basic design was the exact mirror of Cantery, the village where Danny and I lived in Mirror. The fountain in the main square looked the same in Cantery and the houses had the same spaces just on opposite sides of the street. Now I understood what Danny had meant. The two villages were one in the same. Kylee’s alley was right here on Earth as well as Mirror. It didn’t take long to find it. Just as Kya had said, Terr was- what was he doing?- in Kylee’s alley.
“Terr?” I asked cautiously. His outline was barely visible in the shadow. His ears stood straight and pointed and his back was to me, but when I called his name he spun around. His eyes flashed bright orange. He growled and bared his teeth at me. I noticed his canines were long and pointed like fangs on a cat. He stuck his nose in the air and sniffed. Apparently, he decided I smelled good because he knocked over the dumpster he was standing next to and ran at me on all fours. I let out a cry of surprise and started to run and then froze. I couldn’t lead Terr out into the streets amongst the people. Terr pounced toward me. With Danny on my back it was hard to move quickly, but I managed to duck under him and stumbled along the shadowy alley to the back where I met a dead-end. Terr turned quickly and slashed with his long claws. They grazed my cheek but they were sharp enough that warm blood flowed down my chin and splattered onto my shirt. He was like a wild animal on the attack. I just barely avoided serious damage from the second swipe and managed to get away with just few more scrapes on my arm. I threw a glance around the alley. I was already out of breath. Why was he so beast-like now? Terr started toward me again, but he didn't make it very far before he doubled over and fell with a heavy thump to the ground. Momentarily shocked, I stood and stared, but a low grumble cleared up the mystery for me. I almost laughed, but I pressed my lips together in a sympathetic smile instead. Poor Terr was in a whole new world and new environment and it wasn’t like he could just walk to the grocery store and buy a fish; he didn’t even look human. Remembering the crackers in my pocket I tossed them into the air. I sort of doubted they would even put a dent in the large cat man’s appetite, but I hoped he would recognize me as a friend. He snagged all six crackers in his mouth before they hit the ground. When he finished he sat down and sniffed the air as if looking for more. He was looking so much like a large puppy, even though he was clearly more cat, that I couldn’t keep from laughing. In response to the sound Terr turned back toward me looking ready to pounce. My laughter stopped short and I backed up. Plan B? I thought, patting my pockets for more food. Then, a different sound echoed off the alley walls and I burst into another fit of giggles. He was purring. Terr looked at me with his eyes sparkling, ears perked, and stood up to lick me on the nose. Slowly, I saw sense return to Terr’s face. He looked around. When he saw how close he was to me his face turned beet red, he straightened up, and took a step back.
“L-l-lithallia!” He stuttered. “H-how?” He took a quick breath and composed himself. “Why are you here?”
I explained the situation to Terr after I quickly got him something to eat. He had insisted on treating the wound on my arm and cheek even though I told him it was no big deal. After everything had settled down and I felt a bit more relaxed. I thought that maybe I could sleep and help Danny from Mirror. I told Terr he could enjoy his meal and I tried to sleep against his arm. It was no good. I simply couldn’t sleep and I could feel my blood pressure rise as I realized how much time had passed. I was afraid Danny would get dehydrated. His breathing was already ragged and I was certain he was suffering, but how could I help him when he and I were in separate worlds.
“Terr,” I said urgently, "I want to go to Mirror through Epitome fields, but I need someone to watch over Danny's body here should I, I don't know, disappear or something."
Terr nodded. "What should I do?"
I stood up and started toward the fields. Terr followed. I handed him a bottle of water and a paper towel I had bought from the same street vendor I bought Terr's lunch from. "Keep him cool and maybe see if you can get him to drink something."
Terr nodded again with confidence. I was glad he was being so agreeable.
It wasn't long before I reached the same little hill where Danny had first shown me the magic of Epitome fields. I let Terr take Danny from my back and watched him cradle the sick child in his arms for a brief moment. Terr could be trusted, I decided.
I clasped my hands around the amulet hanging by my throat, "Take me to Mirror," I whispered, praying to something that I would simply be swept up in a mystic current and carried to Danny's side.
As if responding to my plea, the sparkling grass seeds stirred with the wind and circled around like a small twister. I squeezed my eyes shut, but almost immediately the wind died and the seeds fell back to the ground. "What happened?" I asked.
"It might be working," Terr encouraged, "Try again."
Once more I clasped the amulet around my neck and held it so tight my knuckles turned white. "Take me to Mirror," I cried. Again the grasses stirred and threw their seeds into the air, but the wind currents died even more quickly than before. "Take me to Mirror," I begged. My hands were going numb. Nothing happened. My knees gave way and I folded over until my forehead was in the dirt. "Please, take me to Mirror." Nothing happened. I bit my knuckles, wanting to cry. Danny said it would work.
Terr placed his hand on my back and began stroking my shoulder awkwardly. His hand was warm and strong and I was able to clear my mind a bit. "Maybe it just needs more juice," I said as I straightened up. "Terr, that thing that brought you here to Earth, I think I know what it is and if you give it to me you may be able to return home and I could save Danny. I’m sure it’s a charm. Please, if you could just give it to me.”
Terr looked uncomfortable. He glanced away. “I’m sorry,” he said slowly, “I can’t let you have it.”
“What? Why?” I tried not to sound annoyed with him, but I was running out of options.
“I couldn't give it to Tyreek when he asked for it because I don’t know what he wants to do with it and if his intentions are bad I don’t want to be a part of that. I can’t be sure your intentions are good. I don't mean to be rude, but I just don't want to contribute to something I'm not sure of.”
“No, but Terr,” I bit my lip and squeezed my eyes shut. Could I convince him? No. For all he knew Danny and I were acting this way just to get our hands on his charm. In a strange world everyone is suspicious until proven otherwise.
“I’m sorry, but I can’t,” Terr said with the kind of finality that blotted out any feeling of hope I had left in one fell swoop. I nodded and swallowed back the feeling of despair. I clutched my amulet again and threw my head back envisioning Mirror in the sky. Please give me a gate to Mirror. I thought. Nothing happened, but I didn't expect anything this time. When I looked down again the sight of Danny’s limp body in Terr's arms made me shiver. Terr watched me with such sorrowful eyes I almost felt I should be the one comforting him. I wondered if there was something more at stake for him.
“Fine, okay, I get it. Here.” I slipped my amulet off and held it out to Terr. “I can’t go to Mirror right now, but I’m sure with both the charm and the amulet someone could pass through to Mirror here in Epitome Fields. You know Kylee’s alley. Find her. Tell her Danny’s in trouble and help him.” I scribbled four words on the cracker wrapper: Kylee, save Danny. Litty. “Kylee will know what this is about if you give her this note.”
Stunned, Terr looked at me with wide eyes. I could tell he had warring thoughts in his mind: take my amulet, a valuable possession of mine or give in and give me his which would mean putting his full trust in a near stranger. Angry and impatient, I felt as if there was fire under my skin. When I thrust the amulet under Terr’s nose my hand shook violently. His eyes softened and he smiled slightly. “Okay, I’ll give her the message.”
“Really? Oh, thank you!” Terr took the amulet and returned Danny to my arms. The sun was now setting over the horizon and like the last time when Danny had shown me the magic of Epitome Fields, the wind picked up and scattered millions of shiny grass seeds. The charms in Terr’s palm began to glow and vibrate as if they were resonating with each other. The seeds swirled around, dancing and humming as Terr faded. I stood in wonder and amazement.
For a moment the scene had made me forget, but when the wind settled down and the sun was mostly gone Danny’s cold hand snapped me back to reality. I remembered my first encounter with the shadow. Again, I was helpless to do anything. I just had to trust that Terr would find Kylee and she would find a way to save Danny. However, waiting for a problem to be solved didn’t sit well with me. If I couldn’t help Danny directly then I at least needed something to distract myself. I thought I might go crazy if I waited any longer in Epitome fields so I lifted Danny into an awkward princess carry and headed back toward the village.
“Wait up,” an all too familiar voice called from behind me. Taking a deep breath and willing myself to stay cool, knowing that if I took a wrong step everything would go downhill fast, I turned around.
“Why’re you here?” I asked not exactly succeeding in keeping the disgust from my voice.
“I wanted to offer my help,” Tyreek replied.
“Ha, sure and how do you plan to do that?" I wasn't sure if I was successfully keeping my voice steady. The burns on my wrist ached.
“I-”
“I don’t want to hear it," I said, suddenly changing my mind. I didn't want to face him anymore. "I don’t want your help.” I turned away, hugging Danny close to my chest.
“But you need my help,” came his smug response.
I stopped walking. Could he know something I didn't? Mirror was new to me, but he seemed to have a pretty good idea what was going on. “Why do you suddenly want to help so much?” I asked cautiously.
“Because, I want to make a deal with you.”
I didn't like the sound of that. “Ah, now I see,” I said, "Because I need help from the only guy that's ever tried to kill me." I couldn’t keep the sarcasm from my voice and I knew I should or I would cry.
“No wait,” Tyreek said, “just hear me out." His voice made me feel a bit queasy and I clenched and unclenched my fists just to make sure they still worked because for some reason it seemed they had lost all of their strength. I didn't want to admit that the feeling might be something like fear, so I rooted my feet to the ground and pushed my shoulders back, trying to look tall and strong. I had the feeling, though, that I looked more like a frightened bullfrog than anything else. "I know you can’t get to Mirror right now," Tyreek continued "but I also know that the only one that can save your friend is you. I can help you get there.” How did he know so much? But if this was my best chance at saving Danny why did it leave such a bitter taste in my mouth?
“Alright, but what’s in it for you?”
“When you get to Mirror you have to find the Mirror Transportation charm. With both Earth and Mirror transportation charms you can go wherever you want within both worlds. You will take me to Mirror and when I wish to return to Earth you’ll take me back. You need the charms anyway so we'll be working toward a common goal.”
Somehow I doubted that. “What do you want from Mirror?”
“And you can’t ask questions,” Tyreek said. I gritted my teeth. “I promise you though, my visit to Mirror will cause no harm to you.”
“What about my sister and other friends. What about the other people of Mirror?”
“You have my word.” Tyreek stepped forward. I backed up, but stopped when he held out his hand and extended his little finger. “It’s a promise.”
“What?” I met Tyreek’s gaze. He was serious, but not intimidating and maybe because he looked just a tiny bit desperate I agreed. “Alright,” I linked my pinkie with his. “It’s a promise.”
Tyreek told me told me a bit about the charms as I followed him from Epitome fields and he also told me that the amulet I gave to Terr was not mine to have. The spirit-thing had only given it to me because I was the “back-up plan.” The necklace originally belonged to a girl named Silimae, but she had gotten in an accident that left her in a vegetable-like state. Because of this the amulet did not accept me as its true owner. For this reason I could not sense the charms and my trips to Mirror were limited.
“How limited?” I asked while I kicked at a rock on the path we followed and nearly tripped over it.
“Watch where you're going,” he said.
I kicked at it again anyway and asked, “How do you know all of this anyway? Whose Silimae? What’s your relationship to her?”
Tyreek blushed. I wasn’t sure why. “Silimae was my... friend and she told me about Mirror. As for your question as to the limited trips, I have no idea. I’ll do some research and let you know later.”
I glanced at Danny. “Later? I can’t wait that long. This has to be solved now.”
“That’s impossible,” Tyreek replied bluntly. I growled under my breath.
Tyreek turned and looked me square in the face and said, “Don’t you trust your friends at all?” His expression was smug and I knew he was challenging me. It made me angry so I cast down my eyes and remained silent. He stopped walking, shrugged, and turned around.
“I thought you were going to help me,” I said to his back.
“I did. I told you about Mirror. As for getting yourself to Mirror you’ll just have to calm that temper of yours and get some sleep.” He didn’t turn around as he spoke and kept walking away.
I stuck my tongue out at him. “Where are you going?” I asked. He didn’t answer so I took a guess. “You’re going to see Silimae, aren’t you?”
“What of it?” His back was to me and I couldn’t make out his expression from his tone. Not that it mattered.
“Let me meet her.”
“Go home.”
I thought about that for a few moments. I didn’t really want to go home. Why? Not sure, but home just didn’t sound like the right place to be. “Naw,” I said, “I don’t want to. I want to meet Silimae.” I waited for him to reject the idea again, but he didn’t; he just kept walking. I took his silence as an okay. Hugging Danny close, I followed a few paces behind Tyreek. I knew he had tricked me into agreeing to his terms, especially since he gave me nothing in return, but I figured I could wring this fragile partnership for all it was worth. I knew he would do the same.
Tyreek didn’t head for a hospital like I had expected. Instead he took a winding path through back alleys and along a gravel path until he stopped in front of a large blue-roofed house with a glass door. It was a nice house, but it looked old. There was ivy climbing up the side and the front yard was overgrown with flowers, weeds, and the same kind of grass that grew in Epitome fields. Every window had a thin film of dust clinging to it and I could see the dust swirl around in the sun’s rays inside the house. “Do you live here?” I asked.
“Quiet,” Tyreek ordered. “I don’t know if anyone is home.”
Silently, I followed Tyreek around the back of the house. He looked into the house through an old-fashioned keyhole then pressed his ear to the back door. When he seemed satisfied with what he heard, or didn’t hear, he slipped his hand through a cat door by my feet and removed the metal pole that blocked the door from opening. I couldn’t suppress the feeling that we were breaking and entering a strangers house and I couldn’t help wondering if he was truly taking me to see Silimae or if this was one of his tricks. Despite my distrust, my curiosity kept me quiet as I continued to follow him into the house, through the hallway, and down the flight of steps into the basement. From the top of the stairs I had heard a slow steady beep and an almost inaudible buzz. When I reached the bottom I could see what it was. There was a small bed in the corner of the basement and upon it lay a girl; I assumed it was Silimae. Her skin looked smooth and pale, so pale she looked dead. Only the monitor reading her heart rate and breathing that beeped every time a line zigzagged across the screen told me otherwise. Her eyes were closed and she was motionless. She was beautiful. Though, she somehow seemed frightening like some unseen power lay dormant within her. I glanced back at Tyreek who now stood behind me. His gaze constantly darted from Silimae to the monitor as if he feared that any moment the machine would cease to beep and Silimae would draw her last breath. Tyreek tensed every time Silimae exhaled and relaxed again as she inhaled. I put Danny down and leaned him up against the wall. Then, I took a few steps closer to Silimae’s bed. Tyreek didn’t stop me so I continued until I was standing over her and looking her directly in the face. Suddenly, I saw her eyelids flutter. I stumbled back in surprise and looked at Tyreek. It didn’t seem as if he had noticed so I convinced myself that it was only my imagination and walked back to the side of the bed. How unbearably sad it was to think such a pretty young girl might never see the light of day again. That she was only kept alive by the wires taped to her arm and neck seemed unfair. Tyreek was her friend. I couldn’t believe it, but I felt sorry him. He had lost an important person to him. No, she wasn’t lost yet, I thought. She must be why he wants to go to Mirror? Is he going to save her? How? I didn’t know, but I almost wanted to help. I heard Danny shift in his sleep. No, I most definitely needed to help him save his friend.
This time I didn’t imagine it. I saw her eyelids move. I was certain of it and this time I didn’t back up. I leaned in closer. My heart was pounding. I wasn’t sure why I was so nervous. The steady beep seemed to double in speed, then triple. The buzz grew louder until suddenly there was nothing. Silimae’s eyes snapped open and my heart skipped a beat. I was scared, but I couldn’t tear my eyes from her gaze. Her blue eyes that were rose-red around the pupil weren’t looking at me as much as they seemed to be looking through me.
My eyelids felt heavy and my body was weak. I could feel my hand trembling violently and I wanted to run, but I couldn’t move. Silimae’s intense stare paralyzed me. Suddenly I felt like I was falling. I could see nothing but swirls of blue and red. Then black...

When I came to I was no longer in the basement of the dusty old house. I was lying on cold, rocky ground. The burn marks on my hand stung. I stood up and surveyed my surroundings. There was rock as far as the eye could see. The land was flat so the rough terrain ran up to meet the horizon which was so close to the gray of the rock it was hard to tell where the land stopped and the sky started. The wind was strong and uncomfortably cold. Besides the crunch of rocks beneath my feet there was no other sound of life. This was a lonely place: lifeless and sorrowful. Why did I end up here? More importantly, where was here? I had nothing better to do so I started walking. Every once in a while I paused to listen, but all I ever heard was the sound of the wind. After I felt like I had walked a few miles I started freaking out. I was sure I had walked for at least three or four hours and the landscape didn’t change nor did the sun change position in the sky. It had been hanging directly above me the whole time, yet it offered no warmth. At least this confirmed one thing: I was no longer on Earth. For a moment I was excited; I had made it to Mirror. Can’t get to Mirror with my restless temper. Ha. Take that Tyreek.
My feeling of victory didn’t last long. I felt like I had been cheated. I had made it to Mirror, but I had been dumped off in the land of nowhere. I was starting to feel sleepy. Where would sleep take me? Would I end up back on Earth? I was in desperate need of coffee or Mountain Dew or something to keep me awake.
As the hours seemed to pass by I started to feel numb, detached, as if I didn’t really exist. Hours ago I had been determined to stay awake, fearing that if I slept I would leave this place and miss something important. However, now that determination had run thin so I sought a place to rest.
Just as I felt I had no strength left and had found a suitable place to lie down-a place no different than the dirt and rock I had tread on for miles-I heard a sound behind me. The sound of footsteps was a welcome noise. I spun around only to find there was nothing there. Great, I thought, half a day in this wasteland and I’ve already gone crazy. Then I heard it again. Behind me. I spun around again. It was the same thing. No one. Irritated, I plopped down on the ground and folded my arms. “Whoever you are, I know you’re there so stop playing games.” No response. I was getting angry, but I sat for a moment. There were footsteps behind me again. This time they were closer. I waited and they continued to close the distance between us. However, they stopped just out of my reach. I knew that if I turned around I wouldn’t see anything and I didn’t want to prove my own insanity. If the person or whatever the footsteps belonged to had business with me it could talk to me directly.
“Hello miss.”
“Hi,” I replied, “Who are you?”
“I’m Shimi. Turn around and you’ll see who I am.”
I turned and saw a teenage girl. Except for the fact that she looked the picture of health, she was the spitting image of Silimae. Her most noticeable feature were her red-blue eyes that were framed by her long eyelashes. They were hypnotizing. “Silimae?” I asked.
“No, I already told you, it’s Shimi. But I know who she is, Silimae, I mean. After all, she’s a part of me.”
“So you were the first to have the amulet?”
“Well, sort of,” Shimi replied, “but we didn’t have it very long. We couldn’t take the strain on our body. You know, no sleep and the constant threat of the shadow.
“We?” I asked.
“Yes, you know that the relationship between most people and their doppleganger is like two bodies and one soul spilt between the two, right, and neither know about the other.”
“Yes,” I said, “but in my case I have one soul that switches between Earth and Mirror so I’m aware of both. It’s the same with Danny.”
“Exactly,” Shimi said and settled herself down beside me. “Silimae and I were the same, but one day when Silimae- I- got into an accident on Earth she fell into a sleep she can’t wake up from.”
“So your soul is forever trapped in her Mirror body which is you.” I finished. Shimi nodded. “Then why do you go by a different name?”
“Silimae lived in a village, the village I still live in, near this county’s eastern border. The language they speak there is Zetoish and Silimae means shadow in this language. So naturally Silimae was feared and rejected by the village people. I changed my name to Shimi which means bringer of light or light bearer just for this world.”
“Why do you speak as if Silimae isn’t you?”
“Because she almost isn’t. Silimae is the name of a girl on Earth who may never open her eyes again. She is an empty shell. She is not me. Not anymore. If you think about it, before you had the amulet you were like everyone else. You and your doppleganger led separate lives. You were separate people. Silimae and I have only returned to that.” We sat for a moment in silence. Then Shimi said, “Also, Silimae was a cowardly girl who feared the shadow and ran from danger. I am not her anymore.”
I drew figures in the dirt and tried to think of a way to change the subject. “Do you know of a way to escape from here?” I asked.
“Yes, I’ll show you. You may not have noticed, but this place is rather small. However, due to a strange magic it traps unidentified people in a never ending circle.”
“So how do we get out?”
“Just follow me. Since it was the ancestors of the people of my village who made this trap it doesn’t affect me. As long as I’m here we’ll be out in no time.” Shimi stood up and signaled for me to follow.
Just when I was beginning to wonder whether trusting this strange girl was a mistake, I saw smoke rising from a little valley in the distance. “Is that your village?” I asked. I could already imagine a bunch of little houses made of wood and straw or mud. Close families. The children playing in the yard and the mother preparing dinner. The fathers would be out tending the fields or working in their shop. Then the children would get tired of playing and the fathers would come home to a hot meal by the lit fireplace. Everyone would crowd around the handmade table and enjoy each others company. I knew I was being stereotypical, but the picture in my head was so warm and clear I had to hold on to it. “I bet it’s a really nice place, isn’t it?” She didn’t answer so I glanced at her face. Her eyes were wide with fear and she seemed frozen her where she stood. “Shimi? What’s wrong?”
“My home,” Shimi muttered and for the first time it occurred to me that the smoke wasn’t from the chimneys of the village houses. There was an awful lot of it.
“Come on,” I cried and grabbed Shimi’s hand pulling her forward.
“Where are we going?” She asked in panic.
“Where else? Your village. We have to make sure everyone’s alright.” With that Shimi picked up her pace and we headed full speed toward the smoky valley.
“What kind of monster did this?” Shimi cried as her village came into our line of sight. The village could have looked like I imagined it or something entirely different, but that made no difference now. What few houses remained standing burned with such intensity that even from a distance it singed my hair and scorched my face.
“Where is everyone?” I asked.
"Those that were able must have escaped to the hills. Those that couldn’t-” She choked on her own words and blinked back tears. She didn’t finish her statement. She didn’t need to. I reached out my hand to comfort her, but drew it back when a familiar sense of dread made my hand shake and my heart pound. Where was it? What was it that made me fear for my life before I had even seen it. I already knew the answer. The feeling was different from when I met Tyreek, but I recognized it from my first encounter with the shadow. I was torn. No part of me wanted to stay in the blazing village with a shadow. I had been lucky enough to survive the first meeting. However, I couldn’t leave Shimi behind and she didn’t look like she was about to leave any time soon. I could see the flames reflected in her eyes. Her jaw was clenched and her fists closed.
“We’ve got to get out of here,” I said feeling slightly sick.
“I can’t just leave my home like this,” She replied.
“Us standing here isn’t going to save your village. There’s nothing we can do. If we go now we’ll search for your people later. There’s no one here.”
As if the world needed to prove me wrong I heard faint cries over the roar of the fires. They were like a baby’s when it senses danger, but its mother isn’t there to comfort it. “Did you-”
“Yeah, where is it coming from?” Shimi asked. She cautiously walked toward the direction of the noise. I wondered if she felt the same sense of danger I did. Suddenly Shimi burst into a sprint. “I know where they’re coming from,” she called over her shoulder.
“Where?” I called back.
“The old church. It’s the only building made of brick and wood so it’s the safest place for people to hide.”
The church was a solid building, but even its firm foundation would crumble soon under the intense heat. “The building’s going to cave in. Are you sure this is where they are?” I asked. Before Shimi replied I heard a shrill cry from inside. “They might be trapped or hurt.” I started toward the church door. I was jerked back. “What is it?”
“What if the building falls apart?” Shimi said.
“I know. We’re running out of time. Let’s go!”
“No, you’re not getting it. It’s dangerous," Shimi practically screamed in my ear.
“Yes, they’re in danger, so stop standing there and MOVE!”
“We could die!” Shimi screamed. I stopped pulling her forward.
“You’re not going to help them?” I asked quietly. “I thought these were your neighbors and family that you lived with. If we don’t save them they could die.” Shimi didn’t answer. She just kept her eyes on the ground in front of her feet. “Fine, stay here,” I yanked my hand from her grip, “I’m not.”
The door was already falling to pieces and it wasn’t holding up any part of the church so I kicked it in. The cries sounded like they were coming from the second story. They must have run up the stairs as the fire spread on the ground floor. Fortunately, one flight of stairs was only ablaze at the top so I flew up it as fast as I could and grabbed for a beam above me. As it crumbled I flung myself over the flames and into the upstairs hallway. The room next to me was where the cries were the loudest. There was no door to kick in, but the fire burned to hot to get any closer. “Hey!” I cried, “Can you hear me?”
“Who’s there. Can you save my daughter. I begging you.”
“I can’t get in,” I yelled.
“I’m stuck,” the person in the room gasped. As the fire moved I got a glimpse of his face. He looked like a young man in his twenties or early thirties. His face was streaked in sweat and ash and tears. Deep lines of stress and fear wrinkled his forehead.
“Okay, I’ll get you out of here,” I said.
“Save my daughter first. She’s with my wife, but she must be trapped too. Can you use this?” He threw something sparkling across the room. When I caught it I saw it was a small jewel on a red clasp. “I’m not sure what it is, but I was told not to let the fire touch it so it must be something important.”
Just by the looks of it I knew it was one of the charms I was looking for, but without Danny I had no idea which one and how to use it. Shimi might know though, I thought. There was a large hole in the wall where light from the outside came through. I did my best to look through it without getting burned and yelled out. “Shimi, I have a charm. How do I use it?”
Shimi looked up, but she couldn’t tell where the voice was coming from so she just called into the air, her voice trembling, “What color is it?”
“Green,” I replied.
A flame licked my hand and I jumped back, so I only heard the first part of Shimi’s answer: “It’s the magic charm for controlling the magical elements, but-”
That was all I really needed to hear. Fire was a magical element, right? I was sure Danny had mentioned something like this. I didn’t have my amulet, but I still had the burns of my hand. With the charm in my hand I commanded the fire to move aside. The brand on hand burned with such great intensity I nearly dropped the charm. I didn’t. Instead I closed my fist tighter and willed the fire to move. For the shortest second the fire cooled around the door and left me a straight path into the room. The cries continued from the corner of the room. All I saw was a pile of burning beams. I pushed one aside, but it burned so badly that I had to back away. Gritting my teeth I forced myself forward again and pushed away another beam. How could anyone have survived in such heat? When all the beams had been moved aside I stumbled backward and put my hand over my mouth. I couldn’t keep my eyes from tearing up. The smell of burning flesh was too strong. The child that was crying was no more than three months and her mother had protected her to the very end. I wanted to throw up, but knew if I stayed still too long all of the mother’s efforts would be in vain. The fire was already growing again around me. I took the child, wrenching it from the charred arms of her mother. My stomach heaved and fell to my knees. I placed one hand on the floor to balance myself and clutched the baby close with the other. The intense heat of the fire didn't allow me to stay long and I couldn't get a good breath. I pushed myself off the ground and stumbled over to the father. “Camy!” The father cried. He took the child in his arms, shielding her from the fire.
“What?” I said as I leaned against the heavy beams that trapped his leg until they fell away and cleared away the bricks.
“Thank you for saving Camy, but where is my wife?”
“Sir, let’s go,” I said and pulled him up.
“Yes, but my wife, where is she?”
“Please just come with me.” As I stumbled back towards the stairs with the man and his baby in tow the fire burned with a new intensity. Soon getting down the stairs would be impossible.
"I can't run through fire," the man said, bracing himself at the top of the stairs.
"You don't have much of a choice," I said. He shook his head. “Hold her tight,” I said referencing his child.
“What's going on?” the father said in a panic. His eyes darts from side to side without actually seeing anything,
“Sorry.” With a shove I sent both the baby and dad down the stairs toward the exit. They crumbled beneath him as he fell, leaving quite the drop from the second story. I had to find another way. I made sure he wasn't dead before I turned on my heels and ran back down the hallway in the opposite direction. I couldn't run fast enough to avoid getting burned, but this wasn’t even close to over, yet. If fire was a magical element then water was too. They were like opposites, right? How far would I have to search to find a rain cloud, puddle, snow, something.
I found it. I could feel it. A little beat of near life not far away. As if it had its own will and wanted to help me a large storm cloud shifted agonizingly slow toward the scorched ground of the village and eventually cool, refreshing water poured onto the church and the village. The flames dissipated. I let myself slip to the floor and put my hand over my face. I didn’t ask for this.
I knew I couldn’t lay there long, but I didn’t move until the rain stopped. To my dismay, it only seemed to last a few short moments.
“Are you alright?” The young man ran to meet me when I staggered out the church entrance.
“Yeah," I lied. "
"My wife... she isn’t coming back, is she?”
“I’m sorry, when I found her...” I looked away.
“I see.”
“If I had been there sooner. I’m so sorry,” I said. I couldn’t keep the tears from tumbling down my cheek.
“No," he said, looking distracted. I didn't blame him. "It was all a mistake. A terrible mistake. You can keep that gem. All it ever brought me was hurt. hope it’s more useful to you than it was to me. Now, I'm sorry I can't stay long. I must meet up with everyone else from my village. Shimi, will you be all right on your own?”
"Yes, I’ll catch up with you in a few days, Jonathan,” Shimi said.
Shimi and I were left alone in the middle of the remains of the ancient village. "Oh great spirit! You're hurt," Shimi cried, shattering the near silence.
“I’ll be okay if I can sit here for a moment.”
"No, oh spirit, those burns. Please at least let me treat you."
I protested out of habit, but I really had very little strength to refuse. Shimi set about tearing strips of cloth from her skirt.
For the first time since I charged idiotically full force into a burning building I took a good look at the damage I had taken. The fire must have been hot enough that the pain didn't register well. My feet and most of my legs below the knees were burned raw. In some places the skin had been charred black. I reached down to touch my left foot where it looked as if a cheese grater had been raked repeatedly across the arch and shuddered. I felt a wave of nausea wash over me and I had to close my eyes. I didn't look at my hands. The physical damage was beginning to process well enough that I could feel their throbbing sting.
Shimi was gentle with wrapping my hands and feet, but firm and I was grateful. “It was Jonathan who started it all," she said.
“What d’you mean?” I asked even though I wasn’t in the mood to hear a long story on whose fault the whole thing was. I felt sick.
“Jonathan got a hold of that charm from some trip he took. He thought it would bring good luck to his new baby, but when the elders of the village saw it they said he had to hand it over. He thought they just wanted all to themselves so he took it home and hid it with his wife’s few other jewels. That night someone broke into their house and tried to take it. Jonathan grew furious. That was the only thing his shadow needed. It fed on his anger and convinced him to burn the house of the elders who he suspected broke into his house. In response the elders tried to subdue Jonathan by confining him to the village prison. They had to burn his house to get him out. The fire raged unchecked in the chaos and that's how the whole village was burned like this.”
“Did you say Jonathan’s shadow?”
“Yes, the shadows find hosts to cling to and use them to carry out terrible acts of violence.”
“Will it be with Jonathan forever?”
“Probably.”
“Will anything happen to Jonathan?”
“He may eventually go mad. After the death of his wife the shadow will surely feed on all of his sadness and anger. The shadow will probably convince him that this was all the elders fault. It's much easier to blame someone else than take responsibility for one's own faults and Jonathan was never one for accepting blame. His shadow will use that to its advantage.
“Are you going to be able to help him?” I asked.
“I can try. I will find my village people again and help Jonathan raise Camy. Maybe he’ll come to grips with what happened today.”
“Okay, thank you for helping me get out of the gray land, but I have to go,” I said getting up to leave. My whole body protested the movement, but I still had things to do.
“Where?”
“My friend needs help. He's sick. I need to go to Cantery.”
“That’s not so far from here. Your friend may be infected by a shadow as well.”
“I don’t think so. Danny is really nice and there isn’t much for a shadow to feed off from him,” I said.
“Everyone has negative emotion. If he’s young he may still be emotionally unstable so you never know.”
“I think Danny would know and he would definitely tell me.”
“Whatever you say. For his sake I hope you’re right. Cantery is about ten miles east from the church. You’ll get there faster if you take the train. There’s a station in about a mile.”
Shimi and I split. I didn’t think it would be the last time I would see her. Was she the one Tyreek wanted to bring back? Shimi said that she wasn’t Silimae anymore, though. What if she didn’t want to go back?
I didn’t want to think that Danny would hide it if he had been infected by the shadow, but I wasn’t so sure. I was anxious the whole walk and almost missed my stop on the train. I raced as fast as my legs would carry me, which wasn’t very fast considering my feet burned with every step.
“Danny!” I cried as I burst through the door of our little house.
“Lithallia?” Terr turned in surprise. “How did you get to Mirror?”
“Long story,” I said in between gasps for air, “How’s Danny?”
“Not good,” Kylee replied.
“How so?” I asked trying to push passed her.
“When we got here,” Kylee started. She seemed determined not to let me pass. “It seems it was already too late.”
“For what? Too late for what?” I shoved Kylee aside, but Terr stepped in front of me.
“Lithallia, don’t. I know you’re angry, but we don’t have anything that we can fight with. We tried. Kylee got injured and Danny told us to leave.”
“So you just left him to fend for himself?”
“It’s not that simple,” Kylee said from the ground.
“Let us explain,” Terr said.
“No,” I glared so hard at Terr that he backed off, “I don’t need to hear an explanation from you cowards. Back off or I’ll make you.” I bumped Terr so hard when I pushed passed him that he fell backward.
“Litty?” Danny’s weak voice came from the corner of his bedroom.
“Danny!” The air in the room was heavy and I found it hard to breath.
“No stop! Don’t come any closer. Litty, I’m okay. “
I didn’t have the sense of dread I usually had when a shadow was near. Something didn’t feel right, though. What had hurt Danny? How had Kylee gotten injured? Something had happened, something bad, and there was an explanation. “What’s going on?”
“I’m sorry Litty, but you have to go.”
“You are ten years too young to start ordering me around. Stay still,” I said. Suddenly I felt too weary to sort out an explanation or even force one out of someone. I told him exactly that, “I’m too tired to sort things out right now. As long as you’re alive, as long as you say you’re alright I can relax for a moment.” I sat next to Danny and wrapped my arms around him. “Please don’t send me away. I’m scared.”
“Litty?” Danny grabbed onto my arm and laid his head down. His hand was shaking. He must have been frightened as well.
We didn’t sleep. There would be no point to it. Instead, I gently rocked Danny in my arms and hummed softly to keep him awake. It was the most restful moment I had had in a long time.
Hours passed. Both of us had calmed down and I could think clearly. I felt ashamed for treating Kylee and Terr so roughly. I knew I had to apologize. I shifted to stand up and Danny did the same. I saw Kylee and Terr sitting at the kitchen table as I came down the stairs. I was relieved that they hadn’t left. The four of us took a seat around the table. “You guys have some explaining to do,” I said, “but first, I’m sorry. I-”
“It’s okay,” Terr said, “I know you were just worried about Danny. We’re sorry too.”
Danny left for a moment and returned with bandages. “You explain first,” he said.
I began to explain the events following Danny 's collapse as Terr tended to my burns and other injuries using fresh water and cleaner bandages than Shimi was able to provide. Danny hissed quietly as Terr unwrapped the makeshift bandages around my legs, but he otherwise held his tongue.
After I had finished my side of the story Kylee demanded to see the charm. She turned it over in her hand and then returned it. “It's genuine,” she confirmed.
“Oh, good. That's two that we've located then. That's good, right?” Kylee smiled. Danny was quiet.
I let out one long sigh. This was going to be a long adventure. “Alright, I finished my story now does someone want to explain what happened while I was with Shimi,” I said.
Terr straightened himself up. “I think most of it is for Danny to explain, but I can tell you what I saw.”
I nodded.
“When I found Kylee she was already here. She had received a couple of nasty gashes on her arm and shoulder. I don't really understand what happened, but something in the room was dangerous.”
“A shadow?” I asked.
“No, I know shadows when I see them. This was something else. Besides that Danny was practically oozing venom.”
“What do you mean?” I asked looking at Danny. He remained quiet, allowing Terr to continue speaking.
“Exactly that,” Terr replied. Poisonous gas surrounded him. So I took Kylee, shut the door and ran downstairs.”
“You left Danny up there alone?” I asked trying to keep the accusation out of my voice. I understood the situation. What was he supposed to do?
“I told him to,” Danny interjected.
“How long was it after that until I arrived?” I asked.
“Only a couple minutes,” Terr said, “I had just finished treating Kylee. We were trying to think up the best way to get Danny out when you came in.”
“Then why wasn't there a cloud of poison when I ran upstairs?”
Terr and Kylee looked shocked for a moment. They looked at each other and then back at me. “I don't know,” Terr said. We looked at Danny
“Maybe you should tell us what happened,” Kylee said to Danny. “Start from where Litty started.”
“Ok,” Danny said after a moments hesitation. For some reason I felt uneasy.


© 2015 Rachello Harmonia


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

65 Views
Added on April 25, 2015
Last Updated on April 25, 2015


Author

Rachello Harmonia
Rachello Harmonia

Nederland, CO



About
I'm currently working as a corps member for Americorps NCCC and I am a wildland fire fighter in training. I love being outdoors whether it be climbing the mountains, swimming a river, or walking the p.. more..

Writing