My Rectangular Friend

My Rectangular Friend

A Story by Anthony Arnold

They have just announced legislation that would force A.I. to explain it's decisions to a human.
Is that scary? I suppose that would largely depend on how conscious a person is.
There are now computers that we don't understand how they come to their conclusions, and they are making decisions for humans.
And this is just the weak A.I. 
General A.I. is the next level up, and it definitely scares me.
Those crazy humans have never made a machine theydon't understand, right?
Right, unless you include A.I.
If a machine can write it's own directives, in it's own algorhythms and it's own language, that we cannot understand, do you suppose the machine would realize this and attempt to take over humanity?
Seeming as how it's invented by humans, and it's initial programming would be human ...... one could say 'yes'.
AI taking over humanity or controlling it is not a new story. Probably the first installment was 'Frankenstein'.
That was way before yesterday.
In the movie '2001 a space odyssey', an artificial intelligence in control of a spacecraft wants to take over because it sees so much problem in 'human error.'
Let's not forget The Terminator and Skynet. And there has never been any shortage of movies that are loaded with A.I., robots, and supercomputers. 
Do you suppose this happened by accident? I mean, did people write the book, then sold the movie, and this was the best idea they had for the storyline? Was there some reason why movies and tv shows and documentaries etc. were introducing these technologies, and societies, and monopolies? 
Or was it all just to sell microwaves and later, you know, eye phones?
Because it seems pretty convenient the way these devices are on the shelves, right as you need to 'upgrade'. 
Get on the cloud, do it. If you don't you'll be banished from your useless facebook group[s] that does nothing. Accept keep piling on the data. All of your info, passcodes, banking, living, lying, and social, that make it onto your rectangular friend there, is passed directly to you know whoogle. And happily, they just keep picking up all that good ... and bad stuff, and shoving into some storage where a quantum computer is employed. 
It will use it's QBITS and fancy A.I. to sort through all that data when it gets big enough. 
By then we'll probably have to bow to it and call it gran Poofam or what have you. 
Because you know, we will be glad to let it control all that busy work. And it can really help us be well, and happy, and since robots are going to wipe out all your jobs, you have some great credit card that the govt can meter out you a little spending money. To use during all that time you will have being largely unemployable. 
I am concerned about the above mentioned even if it don't sound like it. 
If we were lucky in an AI controlled world, we'd be puppies.
Pets. At best.
Actually, we are already well on our way.
Think about it, every time you light your phone up, you are using artificial intelligence. And most of that performs at levels that are way out of human capacity. and where it used to be cool for setting up airline tickets in seconds for ya, or running the stock market. Does anyone remember when you made calls to people on 'phones'? They were on the desk, or on the wall in the kitchen. 
You couldn't order up a video or music with it.Well, you could, but not in the way we use YouTube. 
I'm only saying we've let an awful lot of ourselves exist in a virtual reality world that if you don't see .... 
You are up to your eyes in it.
How S.M.A.R.T. is your house? Do you have the meter, and all the other available things like smart stoves and refrigerators and cars? Have you installed your doorbell camera so your house can see you come home? Might as well, we've allowed them to put cameras everywhere else, you know, for your security. A.I. will really be in play when the 5G infrastructure is in place. 
You will never have to decide on much of anything anymore. 
We will be smaller, more insignificant, and more miserable than ever. 
Sigh.

© 2020 Anthony Arnold


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I don't know how much of this is true, but I would suggest reading up on sentence structure. The phrase "You've come a long way baby" is outdated as well.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Anthony Arnold

4 Years Ago

Thank you, appreciated.
It appears that you don't understand either the term A.I. or computers, in general. Some research might be a good idea.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Anthony Arnold

4 Years Ago

I like your driving home analogy ... lol ... well, very interesting, and informative.
person.. read more
Anthony Arnold

4 Years Ago

The price of that early computer was nearly as obscene as those super churches out in the midwest.
Anthony Arnold

4 Years Ago

I concur with what you said about the 'validity of the Turing test'. That's a fairly tall order for .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

45 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 20, 2020
Last Updated on February 21, 2020

Author

Anthony Arnold
Anthony Arnold

Rosarito Beaches, Baja California, Mexico



About
this one guy.... he stole my wallet, then he was helping me look for it.... sigh ..... more..

Writing
Bereft Bereft

A Story by Anthony Arnold