chapter 3

chapter 3

A Chapter by carla

“So, how was your day Ricky?” Mr. Jones asked as we sat at the dinner table eating spaghetti.

                “Pretty good thank you sir” I answered minding the very little manners I knew.
                “Well that’s good to hear. So how do you like the town so far?” Mrs. Jones asked while feeding her 5 month baby, Dianna.
                “Everyone here is very kind and everything. I have a good job thanks to you Mr. Jones and I have a roof over my head and food in my stomach, thanks to all of you.” I gestured to the whole family. “What more could a man ask for?” Mr. and Mrs. Jones both nodded. Then little Cindy spook, she was 10.
                “What about a family of your own Mr. Ricky?” her sweet voice pierced my heart without knowing. I smiled and looked down at my food. What about a family of my own? Could I take care of a family if I never had one to begin with?
                “All in its due time Cindy” Mrs. Jones told Cindy as she patted my hand. “Now finish eating so you can get ready for bed. You have school tomorrow.” With that the table went back to a comfortable silence. I welcomed the chance to get lost in my own thoughts. ‘What about a family of your own?’ Cindy’s question still rang through my head. A family? Could I really have one?
                I sat in the living room staring out the window still lost in thought. When Mr. Jones came in and sat next to me on the couch.
                “What’s wrong boy?” he asked bringing me out of my reverie. I looked at him and saw worry and curiosity.
                “Nothing don’t worry about it Mr. Jones” he raised an eyebrow, a gesture he did when he didn’t accept the answer to a question. I sighed. “How can one have a family of his own if he never had one to begin with?” I looked up at the ceiling as I asked.
                “I don’t really know how to answer that. I’m not the one with the wise advice. I’m more logic. The wise one is my wife. Why don’t you go ask her?” he lifted his head in the direction of the kitchen and I could hear Mrs. Jones humming a merry tune. I thought it over for a moment, then stood and walked to the kitchen.
                It took Mrs. Jones a minute to see me in the kitchen door way.
                “Oh Ricky dear you startled me. Is there something you wanted?” she was washing the dishes but I could tell she was listening.
                “I was wondering if I could talk to you about something.” She instantly stopped washing and turned to look at me.
                “Always dear, what is it?” she looked concerned. These people had just met me a couple of days ago and yet they worry and care for me as one of their children.
                “I was wondering. How can one have a family of his own if he never had one to begin with?” she looked at me questioning at first then so sweetly it warmed my heart like never before.
                “My boy” she walked up to me and put her hand on my cheek. Her hand was so soft and motherly I closed my eyes and relished in the feeling. “Life is not made of good moments and bad but lessons that we blindly mistake.” I opened my eyes and looked at her. “You must use your past as reference not as guidance. At the center of your being you have the answers; you know who you are and what you want. But listen to me when I say that our pasts don’t make us less because they aren’t perfect but they make us stronger and better people. Never make yourself less, you are just as worthy as anyone else.” I nod and she smiles happily and turns back to the dishes. I’m about to leave when I hear her call.
“And you do have a family my boy.” I look back to see her smiling at me. I smile fully for the first time in so long.


© 2009 carla


Author's Note

carla
please leave reviews

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love this story reminds me of my cousin good job!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

66 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 14, 2009
Last Updated on December 17, 2009


Author

carla
carla

GA



About
love to read and write and i also want to make new friends. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by carla


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by carla


Moments Moments

A Book by carla