Part Three

Part Three

A Chapter by nattikur cullen

Part Three


The Kinder Transport was just a train that transported children from
Germany to England to get them out of the dangerous country. The platforms beside the train were crowded with little boys and girls and their parents. Leo found himself distracted as he glanced around, his eyes darting from one distraught mother to another. Now that he was leaving, his mother had explained everything. She’d said he was old enough to know about the war and what it had done to the wonderful land that he’d once called home. He could see that not everyone was as informed as him. Some children were clinging onto their parents, begging them not to make them go, others seemed to be unmoved by it all, their eyes rolling every time their mother shed another tear. But it was one older boy that caught Leo’s attention. He looked around fifteen and his father addressed him as Yehudah. His mother, however, was no where to be seen. This confused Leo. Why wasn’t his mother here? Didn’t she want to say goodbye to her son? He shook his head slowly but didn’t look away. The apparent lack of a mother wasn’t the only strange thing about this boy; it was also the look on his face. Leo had seen everyone else looking scared, worried, distraught, and confused, even. But this boy, he looked relieved. He was comforting his father, who was slumped at his side, and had his suitcase held firmly in one hand. He stood tall and straight, his shoulders back and his neck stretched up. Leo wished he was as brave as that boy.
Sighing, he turned his gaze back to his mother. She was trying to hold in her tears but her attempts were useless since her face was already red and puffy and streaked with drops of salty water. “You’ll want to get a seat, I suppose?” She asked, her voice coming out in a croak.
“Well, I suppose. It’s a long journey to
London, isn’t it mother? I wouldn’t want to have to stand.” Leo replied. He ignored the burning sensation in the back of his throat and spoke very matter-of-factly. He concentrated his gaze on the corner of his mother’s shabby cardigan and refused to look up. Saying good bye to his mother would be hard enough without having to see her face while he said it.
“Yes, of course dear. You always were the clever one. That’s why we chose you, you know? We thought you could make something of yourself, that you’d have more of a chance at getting over this than the rest of us. And you were just to young-” She broke off and began to gnaw on her bottom lip. Leo couldn’t see but he could imagine her cheeks turning a bright pink.
“Yes, well, I better get going.” He said, his voice on the edge of panic. He knew he couldn’t keep his emotions under control for much longer, and if he didn’t board the train soon then it would all just boil over, and the pain that that would cause his mother would be excruciating to watch. “To get a seat, of course.” He added. It wasn’t true, just an excuse. He didn’t really give a damn about getting a seat. Then, finally, he looked up at his mother. Leo felt a stabbing pain in his chest as he took in the pained, tortured expression on his mothers face. Her eyes said it all. “See you,” he choked, his hand reaching forward, about to touch his mothers arm, but he hesitated and pulled it back before it came into contact. He couldn’t risk the pain.
“Yes, darling,” his mother said, her eyes glazing over. “You go have fun in
England. And remember your promises. You must forget about us, about this life, and just carry on living.”
Leo just nodded. Then, quickly, he grabbed his suitcase, kissed his mother gently on the cheek, and rushed off to the train. Upon entering, he turned his neck to look over his shoulder at where he’d been standing with his mother a few moments ago. She was no longer there. Leo felt his heartbeat speed up and flutter. ‘Like a hummingbird’s wings’ his mother used to say. The large glass doors in front of him began to blur and his cheeks were suddenly wet. Shivering, he rushed off to the first compartment and slid into an empty seat beside the window. He pushed his suitcase between him and the wall and shuffled back on the seat, pulling his knees up and hugging them to his chest. Shutting his eyes, he started to remember his mothers face, engraving it into his memory, almost certain he’d never get to see her again.



© 2009 nattikur cullen


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ben
Very good!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

184 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 22, 2009


Author

nattikur cullen
nattikur cullen

London, United Kingdom



About
Uh. I am Twilight Obsessed. And I'm a sucker for cheesy, romantic stories. Want to contact me? I check my hotmail over fifty times a day. -grins- Oh, yeah. Check out my fan fiction? http://www.fanf.. more..

Writing
Part One Part One

A Chapter by nattikur cullen