Don't hold against demential people

Don't hold against demential people

A Story by neurostar burns

Don't hold it all against people with "dementia" on their tests and lack of "correct" responses to outdated questions.
The questions put to them is not their fault, it is the institution and narrow criteria which put it forth

1) It need not be necessary to one to know who is the current USA president. They may have come from a different social background or history. Perhaps in their remote or removed community there is no reason to know a president since nothing there transpires in relation to the president. They just live locally, knowing their own community leaders. That kind of question lacks cultural sensitivity even for a big country like this, and perhaps it is too big for their focus.

2) It is becoming outdated on the question to ask them to draw a clock and show certain hand positions. In the past we followed the round clock with the hands in position. Not any more, really. Today, more time is told simply by looking at the face which digitally shows the current numbers, no longer search and compute where the hands are on a round clock. It will be meaningless to draw a round clock because it is done less and less in society for time keeping. They will be unfamiliar with what is asked of them or how to compute from a round face and interpret. A double standard toward a common commodity will not evince an unbiased evaluation in assessing functional performance.

The obdurate institutions need to learn flexibility and update with today's events. There is NO dementia, there are people, humans in whatever state of health.


3) Like someone in a highly routine job or a totally enclosed environment, the hours passing are meaningless. Some dementia persons are aware of passing and day and night, there just is not enough to relate to in events to make the effort to distinguish hours or the days of the week. They are all the same regardless of which day. Special dates just get lost in the routine background. One needs to see it as they experience it and not impose other values and expectations, which may no longer apply or have separate value. Largely, we are "born" with it in our DNA like other oddities, and it occurs also in animals.

It cannot be held that some standardized criteria will match all diverse backgrounds.



Note: the material herein is not necessarily a reflection of the entropy of current societies

© 2021 neurostar burns


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

25 Views
Added on September 17, 2020
Last Updated on September 22, 2021

Author

neurostar burns
neurostar burns

Phoenix



About
Avid hot tea drinker, likes seafood and asian eateries and home cooked food including east asian, trail hikes, lecturing, being single, cosmology, sky watching, open natural vistas. more..

Writing