Two queries

Two queries

A Story by neurostar burns

A two topics query:
A. Sight
B. Fastest
.............................................................
A. Sight
Usually you can hear someone say how blessed sight is. That is for those who have
vision and it's been around for very long time, and includes many animals but not all.
So the quest is-how ancient is sight?
The eyes, it is said in science, have not always been with the earthly creatures. There really is not found any clues of very early life found, via fossils, that the eye sockets were intrinsically developed with early lifeforms.
It is said, the eyes are not intrinsic to lifeforms. The tissue that makes eyes was originally the skin. Over great amounts of time, parts of the skin became more sensitive to the presence of impact of light. Considering long ago most lifeforms were sea dwellers, there was not much need to have sharp resolution in the cover of the water.
In the water, life was more insulated and adaptive. The beings used other sensors to guide them. This probably went on for a million or millions of years.
Some of the denizens would be near the brighter surface of the water and their organism developed sensitivity to a lighter atmosphere although it may not have been bright but clouded over.
Eventually, for most, the skin thinned as it became responsive to brighter environs. Eye sockets formed to help reduce light impact and with more advanced species they developed eyebrows. Beings had enhanced resolution of their world.
But eyes were not for all purposes in the world. There are beings to this day show no sign of eye development, e.g. nematodes, worms, scorpions, cave fish, those that dwell in the depths of the seas or in the ground. Eyes are not universal here. There is also recent observations from some biologists that for a few species are showing signs of diminishing vision use and return toward an eyeless state.
B. Fastest
For those who like to measure, there is always pursuit to determine what is the fastest known; usually visible or linearly or traceable.
Since early times, man probably marked for speeds on the planet as fastest to their perception like wind, lightening, flights of birds, etc. Perhaps later added objects like arrows to gauge by. 
As human technology advanced, more items or natures were considered. Eventually, the light of the sun was added although guessed at; it is now said the sunlight from the sun surface to Earth is 8 minutes 40 seconds [but what about how long it takes for a sunray in the Sun to leave the Sun to the outer space? Say, 10,000+ years]
It has become, according to some calculations that light travels at 186,000 mph or about 300 km. in a vacuum. That is pretty much based on linear progression which has held in science or a long while.
Geometry and calculations eventually have shown that perception in science measuring is not of one hypothesis. Different angles of approach toward measuring have produced many different models.
It may be a matter of perspective: a being in our atmosphere can be seen travelling and covering more distance than even the fastest land animal. Now man made space objects can circle our globe in minutes. Those have to be included in measurement.
For example, and this may not be the last or final, there are postulates which hold there can be superluminal speeds (faster than light) perhaps due to certain geometric relations which allow alternate physics to occur.
There are postulates that hold rather than linear tracking, faster yet are physics that may have objects that just pop out of one location and pop in another without any perceptible transition.
The microworld or quantum is so miniscule, that in its realm there is no measurable distances.
The material herein is not necessarily a reflection of the entropy of current societies

© 2023 neurostar burns


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

67 Views
Added on September 17, 2023
Last Updated on October 8, 2023

Author

neurostar burns
neurostar burns

Phoenix



About
Avid hot tea drinker, likes seafood and asian eateries and home cooked food including east asian, trail hikes, lecturing, being single, cosmology, sky watching, open natural vistas. more..

Writing