BLANK marks the spot

BLANK marks the spot

A Story by neurostar burns

In the large field of astronomy, serendipity again plays a lead role.
Astronomers at Green Bank radio telescope were adjusting for targets and as part of the process aimed their telescope to what they had assumed was an empty area that had not shown any previous indication of objects being there, visible or invisible. Much to their surprise, the radio telescope indicated that there is an astronomical object. It would be invisible, classified as "dark". The finding will proved to be momentous as well as an unanticipated event.
The findings and study of unlit or "dark" portion of the Universe is still new and is trying to be comprehended in relation to what was already assumed of the Universe.
The new finding will add much data to work in the new dark field of astronomy. Especially since the new object is astoundingly isolated from other galaxies by 112 parsecs or 365 million light years. It is 270 million light years distant. It is tagged J0613+52. The leading person at Green Bank is Karen O'Neil.
Another void galaxy, that is a disk galaxy,that is quite isolated is MCG+01-02-015 has no other galaxies within 100 million light years of it. (one year that light travels is nearly 6 trillion miles).
This is part of the recent uptake of study of unseen roles of the Universe. Particularly now, the focus tend to be on the early history of the Universe and it formative stage. This is encouraged due to better detection which brings forth deep and difficult objects not before known. Therein are found telling objects which are contributive even though cloaked, are portraying how the early Universe formed and operated. Gathering information has to be largely inferred since the objects are not in the visible range.
The dark galaxies are clumped but the conditions are not right to cast forth light. They are dominated by another process of dark matter which is thought to be prevalent in the early Universe. So, J01613+52 galaxy could be an example of an underdeveloped galaxy, and maybe even a dwarf galaxy.
The J01613+52 is made of primordial hydrogen gases, perhaps an unprecedented find and future rich on the early development of bodies especially those of the unseen range. The galaxy rotates near 2000 kilometers per second. Believed to have over a billion solar masses despite previously drawing a blank.
Multiple sources were consulted for this report including Green Bank Observatory.
There are, of course, many blank areas in the wide universe that can be explored. This happenstance finding does not make it unique by any reason, just new, but it will open up awareness of other modes to become aware of and that there are many  incidents of unanticipated discoveries waiting.

© 2024 neurostar burns


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

77 Views
Added on January 27, 2024
Last Updated on March 18, 2024

Author

neurostar burns
neurostar burns

Phoenix



About
Avid hot tea drinker, likes seafood and asian eateries and home cooked food including east asian, trail hikes, lecturing, being single, cosmology, sky watching, open natural vistas. more..

Writing