Freedom isn't free

Freedom isn't free

A Poem by Nicole Williams

I am an American Soldier,
I can hardly be called a saint.
We work hard, we play hard, 
and we drink even harder.
But at the end of the day,
We are fighting for your freedom.

Your FREEDOM is paid for by death
Your FREEDOM is paid for by countless lost limbs
Your FREEDOM is paid for by our SANITY.

War is something that never leaves you,
Sleepless nights, the anxiety attacks, constant f*****g reliving!
We are not BORN soldiers,
We are TRAINED,
And we are still HUMAN.

So before you bash on your troops,
Remember Freedom isn't Free.

© 2013 Nicole Williams


Author's Note

Nicole Williams
A rant for some ass who was cursing out a VETERAN. Sorry this posted from my phone so I don't know how it will look lol.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I am a patriot and I appreciate what it took for us to get to where we are as a country. My brother served and grandfather and great grandfather and my great great grandfather was a veteran of the Civil War. His grandfather fought in the War of 1812, and his father was in the Revolution. I really see where you are coming from and I think this is a great topic. I would actually like you to write more about this. Maybe another poem with less statements and more feelings...I am not meaning to be critical. I just think this is worthy of making the audience really forced to FEEL it for themselves. Write a poem from the point of view of a moment in the life of a soldier, perhaps. I am not sure I could do it, because I have never been there. If you have, I think it really deserves to be shared.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I totally agree. Your sentiments are mine.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Its a wonderful poem Kora...truth be told freedom isn't free, it has a high cost.

Posted 10 Years Ago


The psychological effect on the armed forces is too often overlooked by the kind of people who reject their service. The problem is, the more effective that the soldiers defending their rights are, the greater the distance between the populace and the forces seeking to hurt them. They start to think they are invincible, and question why they need to support an armed force at all. It's ridiculous.

Excellent poem, poignant and a great cause. Well done Kora :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Wait theres an app for phones?! And this has so many emotions. We have so many amazing men and women fighting for their lives just to make sure we can keep ours and some people talk so much trash about them.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Nicole Williams

10 Years Ago

S**t I wish lol I just have an obscenely large phone so I can use the website. And that's so true, I.. read more
Charlie

10 Years Ago

They need to make an app!
I can't believe someone would do that, how disrespectful!
Great poem Kora! I am not from America but i think everyone should respect the soldiers of all countries....... They have a tough life and they dedicate their lives for the security of their country and countrymen!
A great read!

Posted 10 Years Ago


I might understand you experience, fully. However, I can imagine what difficult things you have been through. I appreciate what you have done, your bravery. And thank you for sharing this, sincere composition.

Posted 10 Years Ago


BRAVA, well spoken,

Trace

Posted 10 Years Ago


So much passion! Because of where I personally live, I don't understand this feeling of anger as much, but your words pour those emotions into my heart, they make me experience that rage and disgust!

Excellent job, Kora!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It is great, and reminiscent of one of my favourite bumper stickers, "IF you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" as for formatting, the third stanza could be broken up, but, as you say, you were posting from a phone. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

782 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 15, 2013
Last Updated on December 15, 2013
Tags: anger, statement

Author

Nicole Williams
Nicole Williams

NJ



About
Hello, my name isn't important but thank you for taking the time out to find out about me. I'm an Army veteran, mother to a 4 year old boy. I love to read and do it very frequently. Most of the bo.. more..

Writing
1: Doe 1: Doe

A Chapter by Nicole Williams



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Broken smiles Broken smiles

A Poem by Faffy