1: Doe

1: Doe

A Chapter by Nicole Williams

The small town of Marlow, Tennessee was deserted.

It was late, close to two in the morning so I couldn't really say for sure if everyone had died and turned into the walking dead. My gut told me they were just sleeping, which was good because I was a terrible shot.

I been driving close to fourteen hours from New York, and when I checked Google the only lodging in the area was a Bed and Breakfast called Paradise. Being a big city chick, I'd always wondered what it was like to stay at a B&B, if it would be clean, with the smell of freshly baked croissants in the air. Growing up, me and my mom moved around a lot, sometimes staying in the shittiest of shitholes.

From in Roach infested motel rooms, to drug slinging thugs in our project building.

The Bronx had so much to offer, just pick your poison.

Either way you'd be up at night.

On The corner of Main Street and Newton Avenue, I parallel parked in front of a beautiful cream colored colonial home. It was absolutely huge. The long red steps led to a wraparound porch scattered with furniture here and there for lounging. Potted plants hung from various places, wind chimes tinkled in the soft breeze. It was a bright beacon in my darkening world.

It looked like every fairy tale home I'd ever imagined.

Ironically In the background of my beat up corolla, the lead singer of Halestorm sang about missing the misery. It'd been almost a full day since I had escaped from King. Knowing him, he was scouring the streets looking for his Doe. I sure as hell didn't miss a damn thing about him. Not the bruises or the broken bones, or the rape. 

Alexander "King" Williams was a very powerful man. He worked his way up from street thug to a millionaire with his brute strength, sharp mind, and dabbling in pretty much all of the illegal trades. King was not a man but a beast, he showed no mercy. 

He feared no man. 

King had the type of connections that made you think twice about double crossing him. That made it impossible for me to confide in anyone about my plans. Not one soul knew where I was or where I was going. I made damn sure of that.

Shaking off my funky thoughts, I shrugged on the lightweight jacket and grabbed my duffel from the back seat before turning off the engine, and jumping out of the car.

I jogged up the porch of the charming home and rang the doorbell. Praying someone would actually answer. I swear I almost shouted for joy when the porch light blazed above my and a very tall woman, probably in her early to mid-thirties opened the door with a small frown on her face.

"May I help you?" she had a very pronounced British accent. Which was weird, because we were definitely in Tennessee and I was kind of looking forward to the southern charm thing. Bummer.

"Uh..." I hesitated for a second before clearing my throat, "I noticed this was a bed and breakfast and was wondering if there was any room's available?"

Seeming to remember that she did indeed own a B&B, the woman let out a short laugh, "Oh, OF COURSE, come," she grabbed my duffel bag and ushered me inside of the hallway, "Pardon my dreadful manners, it's just that we rarely receive any overnight visitors in Marlow, besides family of course, and I certainly would have been informed if we were expecting someone."

I gave a short nodded, understanding that we were pretty out there.

I followed my nameless hostess into a huge dining room. It had close to two dozen round tables with linen clothes over them, beautiful vases and fresh flowers adorned every available surface. Squinting into the dark room to see that there was a chandelier in the center of the ceiling, even in the darkness I could tell it was stunning.

"Fancy," I whispered.

We moved through the dining area, pushed through a set of double doors and reached the kitchen. The woman flicked on a light and sat my bag on a counter.

"My name is Kathrine Lewis, would you like something to drink? Coffee? Tea? We have lemonade as well..."

Katherine had to be around five nine or so, with her angular face, and sharp cheek bones, she looked like one of the faeries from the books I used to read when I was a teenager. Hair in a short stylish blonde pixie cut, her clear blue eyes were attentive and intelligent, welcoming. Plump lips were tilted into a small, but friendly smile.

"I'm Doe," I say quietly "and coffee would be great, I know it's late but I'm addicted to the stuff."

"Shush, not a problem, I know the feeling well," her melodic laugh rang out as she reached into a cabinet pulling out filters and coffee fixings, then went to work filing a sleek and very expensive looking coffee pot with water. "I, too, often have to urge to drown myself in joe during the wee hours of the morning."

Having never heard a proper English accent outside of television I was pleased at how pretty it sounded.

"You have an amazing accent, Kathrine."

"Thanks, and please call me Kat, everyone does." Katherine pulled a mug from the dishwasher and rinsed it before setting it on the counter. "YOU, my dear, are the one with the accent. New York?"

"Yeah, Bronx born and raised." I nod.

"Sad to say I've never been to New York before, much too hectic for my tastes." Katherine made a funny face, scrunching her small nose.

"That's not a lie, twenty five years later and I had to get away."

"Mm, and how long are you planning to stay away?" she asked sagely.

"Forever."

In the growing silence the coffee maker chimed and Katherine went to fill the mug. Turning with the steaming drink she asked if I wanted sugar or cream. I refused, insisting that it was fine black.

"Well, let me show you to your room so you can get settled," Katherine grabbed the duffel bag and headed out of the kitchen and towards a staircase. "How long do you think you will be staying? The kitchen is open all day, I make most of the money from food part of this business."

"Maybe a day or two, I can pay for tonight now, if you'd like."

"No, no, we'll take care of all that rubbish in the morning." After climbing a long flight of stair Kathrine stopped by the first room in the hallway, opening the door, she motioned for me to enter. The room looked homey, decorated with a dark cherry wood queen bed set, a medium sized flat screen TV mounted on the wall. The curtains and bedspread were pretty burgundy and black.

Setting the bag on the bed, Katherine smiled and walked back into the hall.

"You have your own loo, uh bathroom, of course. If you need anything you can find me at the very top of the stairs, just knock and me or Daniel will be happy to help with anything you need. You'll meet him in the morning, he's out getting pissed with his best friend."

"Thank you Kat, I'm probably going to knock out as soon as I hit the bed."

"Good night luv, or good morning. Don't be a stranger, almost everyone eats breakfast here. Come down and ill introduce you to the good people of Marlow." Katherine shot her a wink and scurried away, closing the door behind her.

I sigh, dropping myself onto the edge of the plush bed. At least I had somewhere I could relax for a few days. Every tip I made while I worked at the Kingdom Club was saved and carefully stashed away so King could never find it. Now I had exactly two thousand and four hundred dollars to my name. It wasn't much but it was enough to get started somewhere else.

After taking a few sips of the hot coffee, I set it on the bedside table and shiver as it warmed my insides. Kicking off my worn sneakers, and shrugging off the jacket, I headed for the bathroom that smelled of vanilla and lavender. Picking up one of the washcloths from the rack, I ran warm water and proceeded to wipe the makeup off of my face and neck.

My face looked horrible. My eyes were sunken, already much to large for my face, the dark circle underneath made me feel like a zombie. The discoloration from the bruises making my caramel skin look dark red and even purple in some areas. I was so unrecognizable it hurt. I refused to look at my neck, knowing I'd find the distinct impression of fingers bruised around it.

I wrapped my unruly coils into a messy bun at the nape of my neck and slipped out of my clothes. I threw on an old T-shirt and crawled underneath the covers of the bed. For the first time in years I could sleep with no worries. I was safe, for now.

I'd let King ruin me.

But it was time I took back my life.


© 2016 Nicole Williams


Author's Note

Nicole Williams
Author's Note

Thank You SOOOOOO much for reading the first chapter of Clarity! Please keep in mind that this is a draft and I apologize for any typo you may inquire. I feel very strongly about this book because being in an abusive relationship and finding the courage leave is not an easy thing to do.

Also, this book starts when Doe first finds Marlow, Tennessee, but we will also get glimpses of what it was like living with King.

Marlow, Tennessee is a fictional town.

This story will be very Graphic, and will contain violence, sexual content (some not consensual), and abuse not all will be okay reading. So if this bothers I will advise you not to continue.

Any and all comments and constructive criticism will be much appreciated. Thank you again for taking the time to read my work.

The song Doe is listening to in the car..




<3 Nicole






My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
Added on May 14, 2016
Last Updated on May 14, 2016


Author

Nicole Williams
Nicole Williams

NJ



About
Hello, my name isn't important but thank you for taking the time out to find out about me. I'm an Army veteran, mother to a 4 year old boy. I love to read and do it very frequently. Most of the bo.. more..

Writing