Chapter 1: Ditika

Chapter 1: Ditika

A Chapter by Nigel Suresh
"

The First Chapter, I normally write on Wordpress, I really would like the opinion of serious writers. All inputs are welcome.

"
Being a parent is not easy, especially if you are a single parent. Thankfully I got lucky, very lucky. Every Parent would say that their child is unique, smart, the best, the cutest or even a genius. I would say that she is gifted, definetly gifted. She has an uncanny ability to understand me. Only a handful of people have been able to do that, even so it took them years. To be able to do that at the age of three is amazing. She gets that from her mother Priya, which is why I also seem to be in sync with her. Just by looking at her I know what she wants. Priya left Ditika and me when Ditika was 2 years old. I didn’t get worried or bother to chase after her because I knew she wanted  to leave. I also know that she will come back when she is ready. Every once in a while we get a post card with a photo, nothing is ever written on it but I know it is her way of saying that she is alright and we are always on her mind. I also make it a point to email her about how Ditika is growing up and also send her pics of our sweet Ditika. I am sure she would love to see how her daughter is growing up, especially since she is far away from us. I don’t think Ditika is affected much by her Mom’s absence because she knows that her Mom loves her and she knows that her Dad needs her to be strong and so she is. I love that about her, she has always made things easy for me.

Ditika wakes up everyday with the sole purpose of making sure that I am not late for work. She knows how I love to sleep in, which is why on Sundays she lets me sleep in. She has developed a routine to things and makes sure that I keep to the routine. I sometimes wonder if God put an old person’s soul in her body instead of a baby’s. She does behave at times like a baby, especially are during thunder storms. She crawls up to me and I hold her tight. Priya also used to do that during thunder storms, I wonder how she handles them now. When Priya returns, having two girls snuggle up to me is going to be fun. Ditika doesn’t talk much as compared to other kids, most of her methods of communication are through gestures which I have gotten used to. Initially I was worried that she couldn’t talk. Then I noticed that she has been watching a kids show that has a sign language translator on the side, her curious mind was learning sign language among other things. She is silent most of the time because she is observing and learning. I remember when I was a kid, I used to do the same, except I think she is on a completely different league than I was. I have been teaching her colors, shapes, numbers, languages, music and art. She does light workouts with me, so far only for strengthening her legs, increasing her reflexes and light stretches. Funny thing is I don’t have to force her or coax her into anything, her brain seem to be acting like a sponge absorbing everything. Pretty soon I will have to get the help of an expert for everything. When I worry about her taking things so seriously she reminds me that she is still a child, she would ask me to take her to the park because she loves the swing. It is her favorite thing in the entire world other than ice cream and those dance dance games. I love watching her be a child more than knowing that she might grow up to be a genius. I sometimes worry about whether she would be able to function like any other child her age or even get along with them.

One time we went for a party and I left Ditika with the rest of the kids, I was curious to see how she would handle the situation. She systematically won over the entire group within the first hour. She observed the whole group then she divided them into two. Ones that were of her age group and the ones that were elder to her. The first group she dominated by helping each child individually and the second she dominated by making them feel the need to help her help the rest of the group. So the bigger kids had the need to help her get what she wanted and the kids of her age group felt the need to follow because she had the backing of the older kids. I was happy that she got along with the other kids but I was also afraid that she would never learn to develop a friend. She would have a lot of lackeys when she grew up, with the amount of skill that she displayed she would even be able to lead a nation but that doesn’t mean squat if you are forever going to be alone. I knew it wasn’t enough that me and Priya understood her, we had to teach her to make friends. Since Priya wasn’t around I had to figure out a way to do that. I wasn’t completely clueless about what I was going to do for her, I knew how I was going to teach her how to make friends and teach her that friendship doesn’t have anything to with being equal, she needed to learn that anyone can be anybody’s friend. What I didn’t know at that time was that a completely unlikely source would teach her what friendship is.

Ditika isn’t going to have a normal life at least not in the way that I hoped she would, hopefully this would make her mind open to different situations. She might also get to learn that being different or living in a different environment doesn’t mean that it is bad or should be frowned upon. My Ditika is only three and may be it is too soon to worry about such matters, tomorrow has infinite possibilities, so I should let her grow at her own pace, in her own way. I probably should let her make her own mistakes so that she grows from it. The true test of character always came from knowing what you did after you made a mistake. These are moments were she gets to be a child, I too should enjoy these moments and make memories of them because once she grows up who knows who she might become as an adult. I am hoping that she remains a child forever and ever. Every dad knows it is an impossible dream that eventually fades away. Look at me now, Four years ago on this very day, if I didn’t do the things I did, I would have never met Priya, I would have never had this lovely girl in my life right now. My life wouldn’t have been so completely awesome. I probably should tell you about Priya and how we met, after all she is My Ditika’s Mother.



© 2016 Nigel Suresh


Author's Note

Nigel Suresh
I am sure it needs a lot of improvement, I hope to learn a lot from your inputs.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

81 Views
Added on September 13, 2016
Last Updated on September 13, 2016
Tags: Father, Daughter, Family


Author

Nigel Suresh
Nigel Suresh

Kochi, Ernakulam, India



Writing