Tenzin meets the Dalai Lama

Tenzin meets the Dalai Lama

A Story by Nikhil Ranka
"

Another tale from my life, but it's not my own experience. Its that of a strangers' that I had the fortunes to make conversations with. And this story I dedicate to Erica, my very first reviewer here.

"

The lad’s name was Tenzin. He was a roly-poly fellow with a round, pudgy face, snub nose and tiny eyes. He was Tibetan, and when he smiled he exuded the warmth of a teddy-bear. It was very trying to keep oneself from cuddling with this bundle of joy, who saw the world with the eyes of an innocent child. His structure greatly resembled a joyful snowman.

He sat ahead of the camera, while I stood behind it, prodding him with questions to squeeze out a story from the pages of his life. It was meant for a YouTube project that never took wings. Though I’m glad I was paid to do it, for I would have most definitely done it without charge as well.

I was charged with the duties of making conversations with strangers, to extract a story out of them; a story worth sharing. And I extracted one of the most delightful tales I’ve had the fortunes to listen to: The tale of Tenzin meeting the Dalai Lama.

It was during a speech procession, where our most agreeable teenager had the joy of witnessing the Dalai Lama with his tiny eyes. Tenzin was perched above the ground, on a pavilion, listening to His Holiness speak of the teachings of the Buddha, swayed by his aura and articulation.

After the speech, His Holiness was exiting the venue, walking towards the exit that was craved into the pavilion. Now, dear Tenzin was close to the exit, but he was above the ground, while the exit was below him, like in a soccer stadium. So, amid the crowd, he managed to squeeze ahead and stand at the edge of the steps that didn’t have a railing. As the Dalai Lama drew close to him, his veneration for His Holiness, compelled his roly-poly structure to stretch as far as possible in hopes of grazing the Dalai Lama and arresting his attention. And stretch he did; his every muscle, bone and organ to its fullest. And he did manage to graze His Holiness and arrest his attention.

The Dalai Lama looked about and noticed our dear Tenzin, high above him, stretched out to his last tendon. And His Holiness said to Tenzin in Tibetan:

“Careful now… You are fat. You might fall down.”

And those were the greatest, most grandest words our dear friend has ever had the pleasure to hear. And the joy upon his innocent face, as he said this to me, was worth all the gold in Eldorado.

© 2015 Nikhil Ranka


Author's Note

Nikhil Ranka
If it did bring about a smile. Do let me know. It would be quite pleasant to know. Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You must be my soul, friend. Because each story I read from you is yet another laugh, tear, and feeling of joy. Your words are situated almost intimately to the point where from left to right my mind is constantly blown. Another funny, "careful now. You are fat, you might fall down", was right where I laughed out loud at work! This has to be one of the greatest gifts I've received in a while... Making it even better that it is from a stranger, stranger that was able to catch my sense of humor like no other. Thank you so much.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Nikhil Ranka

8 Years Ago

You are welcome, Erica. I'm glad you liked this one as well. :)

So, I dedicated this .. read more
Drcicarlo

8 Years Ago

AWE it makes me happy to know you checked me out. You really didn't have to- but thank you so much f.. read more
Nikhil Ranka

8 Years Ago

Of course I did. If you find it in your heart to read my words and take out your time to write me a .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

200 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 12, 2015
Last Updated on December 12, 2015
Tags: The Dalai Lama, Short story, Life experience, Happiness, Humor, Experience, Real Life

Author

Nikhil Ranka
Nikhil Ranka

Bangalore, India



About
A novice writer, starry-eyed. My greed for knowledge never dies. I wish I were a bird, but honestly, I'm a nerd. more..

Writing
Mother Mother

A Poem by Nikhil Ranka