The End.

The End.

A Story by The Dreamer
"

its more like the ending of a big story , but this is all i got now - i guess ill leave the rest to the readers imagination :P

"

           She was running as fast as she could, weaving her way through the gigantic evergreen trees towering all around her, ducking now and then to avoid the low stooping branches. She didn’t stop, even when she heard her shirt rip against the thorny shrubs and a searing pain shot through her left arm. The thick tree branches cast shadows all around, making it impossible for her to see anything clearly a few feet away from her. A cold wind blew in between the woods, sending a chill through her spine and blowing her waist length thick auburn mane all around her like a halo. She ducked a tree branch even as she pushed away a silky lock of hair from her face. She stopped for a moment and strained her ears. At first all she heard was her thundering heartbeat and her deep ragged breath coming out in short gasps. Then she heard it, the sound of leaves crushing under foot somewhere in front of her, it was closer than she expected. Not losing another moment, she started running faster - in that direction, gasping for breath, her thin white night shirt sticking close to her body with perspiration. She was tempted to stop and sink onto the soft leafy bed beneath her to get rid of the exhaustion and she almost gave in to it. That's when she heard a few more rustles ahead of her - much louder this time. "I can’t stop ", she told herself through clenched teeth, between uneven gasps, "not now!"

              She reached a clearing and stumbled to a stop, uncertain what to do. Everything was absolutely still and calm, which only made her even more desperate. She looked up to see a canopy of twinkling stars - a beautiful sight- a soothing sight. Taking a few deep breaths to slow down her rushing blood and thudding heart, she pushed away the loose strands of hair from her face and pulled back her hair into a loose knot at the nape of her neck."Where is he?" she asked herself, desperately trying to sense his presence."He's stopped, he must be here somewhere.” she assured herself. She looked around her to find herself surrounded by huge trees, giving the clearing an impression of a circular room. She tried to push away the dizzy feeling that seemed to be taking over her. Her throat was feeling sore and dry and she swallowed hard to wet her parched throat. She could feel her legs weakening and her head thrombing, but she compelled herself to concentrate on her surroundings. A few feet ahead of her, she saw something glittering, partly hidden by the dry leaves. Taking a few steps forward she kneeled down to have a closer look. It was a ring - his ring! She'd recognize it anywhere - after hesitating for a moment, she took it and held it in front of her eyes. A thick silver band with a stone - round and perfectly cut, shining and shimmering with the moon light it reflected-embedded into it. But it was the colour of the stone that always mesmerized her - a deep dark blue, a sapphire - the same colour as that of….

                She sensed a movement to her left. She shot up and turned to that direction only to find herself looking at one of the huge trees that were all around her. Her heart thudding with anticipation, she put the ring in a pocket and slowly moved towards the tree, all the while staring at it intently as if she was willing it to move. When she reached the tree, she heard a rustle behind her and reflexively turned around with her back to the tree, but everything was still. She slowly circled the tree, her eyes on the clearing, her heart beat rising in a crescendo. Suddenly her back rammed into something hard, but softer than the tree trunk. With a gasp she turned around to find herself staring into a pair of dark blue eyes, framed with black eyelashes…...

              She saw those eyes widen a little on meeting hers - the same colour as the stone on his ring. She slowly took in his full face, from those mesmerizing eyes, the long carved nose, the firmness of his soft mouth, the determined set of his chin, his square jaw and sideburns, his soft midnight black tousled hair, to his dusky complexion. He looked exactly like how she remembered him to be. He took a step backward and turned around as if to run away, but she reached out to him, “Please", she whispered, "don’t…". On feeling her touch and hearing the plea in her voice he froze in his tracks and slowly turned back. Seeing the torment and agony in his eyes, she drew back her hand instantly. They stood very still, staring at each other, afraid to touch.

            The light breeze tugged at his dark hair , playing with it, gently blowing it over his eyes, reminding her with an ache, of the numerous times she had combed it back with her fingers. Hesitantly she lifted her hand and brushed aside his hair from his eyes. "Raksha", he gasped out her name and then whispered it again softly - she let her fingers linger on his forehead. He closed his eyes, as if with longing and pain, then he let out a deep breath. He moved her hand to his cheeks and held it there with his own. When he opened his eyes, they were moist with tears. He stretched his hand and wiped away something wet from her cheek and she realized that she was crying. She sagged into him, and he held her close in a tight embrace. She tipped her head back and looked into his eyes again, eyes that could scorch her own fiery hazel eyes. The tenderness with which he was looking at her, amazed her how he could melt her like that. His warm breath was like a sweet caress on her face, his hair softly tickling her temples. He touched his nose gently to hers , contentment swelled in her heart and she closed her eyes thinking, "If I could die now…….I'd be a happy soul". She just wanted to stand in that embrace, stare into those eyes and get lost in it forever. Suddenly, she heard a gunshot in the distance, like a messenger of death - shattering away her joy and contentment.

She saw something spark in his eyes; as if shaken awake from a dream that he didn’t want to end."They're here …", her voice trembled, terror showing in her eyes.  She held on to him desperately, "We can't…..” he said, his voice breaking, “they are after me.”. “I want to go with you.“ she whispered , tears streaming down her cheeks. People were shouting in the distance, “no…Raksha…", he whispered, a tear escaped his eyes, he held her close tightly and touched her forehead with his, "….you can't". She could feel his tears on her face" I love you", he whispered and slowly loosened her hold on him.

            The gunshots were piercing through the air. He turned back ,before she could utter another word, he was gone; he was running away; leaving her behind - again. But this time she couldn’t stop him.

            "Stop", she wanted to cry out, but it came out barely louder than a whisper, “ don’t leave me…".

      Love - it has ripped them apart -  his last words were ringing in her ears like a farewell. She wanted to run, to go after him, to touch him, to hear his voice, to feel his breath, to stare into those tender eyes. But she felt frozen ,her feet stuck to the leafy floor. Helplessly, she watched him go, and on seeing the last of him disappear into the dark, her knees gave out beneath her."I love you …… Jared.”, she whispered, and collapsed onto the leafy floor, the wind carrying her voice through the woods along with the echoes of the gunshots….

© 2013 The Dreamer


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

goodddddddddddd

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The Dreamer

11 Years Ago

really?? when i published this one it thought it was good - but later i changed my mind. still i kep.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

101 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 13, 2012
Last Updated on March 13, 2013
Tags: love, separation

Author

The Dreamer
The Dreamer

India



About
Hey - I am Nisha . I love to dream when I am awake, sadly I don't dream much when I sleep - maybe i drain all my resources before I go to bed... Writing is like a release for me, a source o.. more..

Writing