"My Moment"

"My Moment"

A Chapter by LunarSong

     "Thunan son of Tunrre" I clapped, but unenthusiastically. I knew him, a son of a noble. I've talked to him before, but not by choice. He even once tried to kiss me two years ago when I turned fourteen. He ended up with my knee on his chest. That taught him never to do that again! He was about a year older than me at seventeen, was a decent height, had a strong build, and broad shoulders like his father. Though he had his mothers muddy blond hair that fell across his forehead, and likewise he had her dark eyes. I guess you could say he was handsome, but his attitude ruined his looks immensely.
      "Nillia daughter of Stama," The herald called. Finally another girl! I thought clapping from my position in the front of the room. I studied her up and down, she looked around fourteen though I figured she was probably older than that around sixteen or seventeen. She was slim though she didn't look fragile in the least bit. She was wearing a beautiful white dress that brought out her sharp ice blue eyes, and contrasted nicely with the black hair falling down her back and her olive tan skin. Despite how pretty she looked she didn't look like she felt the least bit comfortable in the dress, and I figured it was any dress in general. I took an immediate liking to her and increased my clapping. 
     Finally, the day were the biggest part of the rest of my life is decided has arrived. Filing into the room one by one, with a blast of trumpets and their name loudly announced, came in all those who have volunteered to be the Champion of our time. Though volunteering of course that only gave you a chance. But I already had it set in my head that I knew who would win. He'd been my friend since I was six, a good fighter, and merciful down to the core.
     "Silja son of Druman," I'd seen him around, another son of a nobleman, a knight. His family heritage extended all the way to before the Prison was made. I tried to study him but found it hard to actually see what he looked like.
     "Nikro son of Wenston," The herald cried before I could think much more about it. Nikro, the son of a former peasant. His father before him had trained hard to volunteer to become the Champion in the time before us. Though he may not have been chosen the Queen was impressed with his skills and knighted him. Wenston after a while married and settled down, and of course had kids. Nikro quickly befriended me when I came from the farm of my parents close to the northern border. As kids both of us used to be teased for our "simple" parents and "less than noble" heritage. Though of course our fighting skills quickly shut them up.
     He met my eyes and I smiled encouragingly, giving him a quick thumbs up before any one could notice. I of course wasn't supposed to show favoritism, but as the 'guardian' before me told me every one through history's shown a little. He forced himself to smile back, though he was decent at hiding his feeling I could tell he felt like he was about to pass out. He never was good at being the center of attention even if it is just for a little while. I made a face at him trying to imitate the way he looked. He went to stick his tongue out at me but stopped himself deciding that would just make him look foolish. He gave me a weak glare as he walked to his chair on the side of the room. I noticed he was still breathing a bit shallow, but he no longer looked like he was going to pass out. 'What would you do with out me?' I thought to myself, 'Oh wait, I know, pass out in front of thousands of people.'
     "Truina daughter of Hethekia," I turned my focus back to the door waiting to see only the fourth girl so far out of the forty names that have been called so far. Through the doors walked the most beautiful girl... woman?  I'd ever seen. Her hair was the color of sunlight, which was rare so far down south, and pinned up in an elegant, intricate bun made of many braids and small strands of hair. Her skin was really light, but I would never go to say it was pale, and her cheeks were rosy, though it didn't look like she had anything on them to make them so. Her lips were full and red, making her smile look even whiter and dazzling. And her eyes! They were a really deep violet as clear in color as any precious stone.
     She walked with her head held high in the most Queen like manor. Though despite her good looks and regal posture there seemed to be something of with her. I saw her give a quick look at Silja and nod. She reminded me of a butterfly though a ferocity seemed to shine in her eyes, a air of malice surrounded her. I decided she would be just as willing to stab me in the back as she would give me a compliment.
     She took her seat and trumpets blared announcing the end of the volunteers. The king stood and every one followed suit. "And now let us begin!" He boomed. He officially turned the meeting over to Grislus the former Champion and it began.
     I'd never seen a Champion get chosen as the last one happened before I was born. But Jenerto
has told me many stories about it, and I've heard many first hand accounts. And of course Rentlo the... well used to be current "guardian" told me all about it from his point of view during my training sessions with him. I'd had to study a lot about the process, and how it happens. Everyone (well the volunteers, the "guardian", the previous Champion and "guardian," and the King and Queen) sit in a circle (though really I'd call it an oval)  with the "guardian" (me) at the "head" sitting in a throne equal to that of the King's that was built especially for me. And then well... the Old King's magic appears.
     The King after the Prison was built wasn't particularly strong in magic, but he was still able bound some of it to the earth, keep it here and in a sense physical, for the purpose of choosing a Champion for every new rising generation. The magic would present it's self as a sphere, or an orb as people have come to calling it. It normally is blue, as was the aura of the King, and it floats in front of each volunteer. If it finds the volunteer a that is a foreigner with spiteful intentions it would turn red in front of them. If it was in front of someone with evil intents in would turn black. If it saw that someone had an important role to play for the country though separate from this it would turn green. And then after passing over every one once it would pass again and turn white in front of it's choice. If you were not it it would glow silver for if you were worthy of other titles, purple if it found you... vain, detestable?, and lastly it would seep gold if you were it's choice.
     I caught Nikro's eye as I moved my skirt to sit down. I smiled encouragingly and he half smiled back. He wiped his hands on his pant legs and smoothed his hair back. I could almost laugh at how nervous he looked! I looked over to the chair on his left and caught sight of Silja. I still couldn't make out much of his features, he seemed to be cloaked in shadow, the air around him working to hide him from my view. Magic, I realized with dread.
     Magic, the most basic thing of life, and yet many people don't even notice it. Everyone has it, it shows in you aura, well it causes it. Magic, a force that many people have tried and tried to understand, but still leaving us with a basic understanding. It's the wind through the trees, the sun on your face, the air. And though it's free, it somehow 'chooses' someone to be 'bound' to. I say bound because of the lack of any better word. It gives you talents and skills, and I was given the gift of reading it! Seeing people's aura, their magic, their nature which shapes it and colors it.
What skills they've been given, and what's waiting for them to discover. And whether they've been corrupted, and of course corrupted it. 
     It seems to favor no one, but yet some have more gifts, and some gifts though lay there dominant, like the volcano on the southern border, waiting for someone to reach their potential that everyone has. Mother's normally have many gifts, the strength to protect their children, or their intuition, or even the ability to look in their child's eyes and see if they're lying.
     And so as I stared as Silja I broke into a cold sweat. Here in our midst was a traitor! A dark, corrupted one of nature, growing strong in magic for such a young age. My heart started racing 'till I feared it would jump out of my chest. My eyes widened as the process began.
     The orb of magic was like nothing I had seen before. Long past being freed again at it's time, it felt so sad and caged. But yet it was glorious, just as great as the free magic of a brook. It was a deeper blue than one I've ever seen on a person, but there was a black tint to it that I knew shouldn't be there, something was amiss.
     I looked at Nicro but he was captivated on the orb of magic that had taken it's place in front of the first volunteer. I watched it, my heart still threatening to dig it's way out of chest. Twenty minuets later it made it way to Silja. It seemed to be hesitating on him, it's substances started flashing like it wanted to change colors, but instead in moved on to Nicro. It stayed in front of him for longer than most others, but it didn't seem to be hesitating at all. I gave a sigh of relief, perhaps that was a good sign.
     And then it made it's way to Truina. This time it made no hesitation, and right in front of my eyes it glowed blood red. I looked around quickly but no one gave any reaction! Truina was also looking around, though calmly, we met eyes and she nodded. I was the only one who saw that, and from this time forth she had declared us enemies.
     My heart sped up though I no longer thought that was possible. I slowed my breathing and kept my expression in check, calm and ecstatic that my moment had come. The sphere made it's way to the beginning and started through again, flashing silver many times, and on occasion purple. It reached Silja again and I saw it turn black, though again everyone went on like nothing happened. It passed Silja quickly, and I could almost feel fear radiating off of it. Though I dismissed that as silly, what could a person possibly do to a ball of magic? It floated in front on Nicro again and I about lost it when it turned a green of summer leaves, dripping with gold, and again no one noticed!
     It passed Truina for the second time and went back in front of Silja. It hovered there for a second then darted to the ceiling and turned gold. The hall erupted with cheers. I narrowed my eyes and clapped.

    


© 2012 LunarSong


Author's Note

LunarSong
Please tell me what you think. And I'd be grateful if you point out any grammar errors you may see.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This chapter was just as good as the last chapter!

Posted 10 Years Ago


LunarSong

10 Years Ago

Thank you, sorry I don't have any more up of this.
RachelReaper

10 Years Ago

Hurry!!
LunarSong

10 Years Ago

Okay, I'll work on it... maybe not this moment though :P
I'm a little confused on how the ball works. And you said twice with two different colors for the ball's choice. Once it was white, and right under that, it was red. Other than that little bit, I love this story!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Well you might explain the significance of the ball, unless the intent is to leave us puzzled. Other than that it was perfect!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

250 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 11, 2012
Last Updated on April 26, 2012


Author

LunarSong
LunarSong

?



About
I like writing (duh), reading (double duh), tv (who doesn't?), school (weird, right?), martial arts, stargazing, superheroes, reading wikipedia articles... er, just living. I enjoy living. The small t.. more..

Writing
Lead Me On Lead Me On

A Story by LunarSong


I am Faith I am Faith

A Poem by LunarSong


Ancient Ancient

A Poem by LunarSong