A Free Fall Into Life

A Free Fall Into Life

A Chapter by Nancy
"

A Humerous Biography

"

Excerpts from my book;

"A Free Fall Into Life"

 

 
I was the kind of kid mothers warned their children not to play with. Trouble just seemed to find me especially the kind that led to a hospital visit. 
I was the kind of teenager other mothers did not ask to baby-sit their kids. And I was the kind of young adult that has been thrown out of bar’s, restaurant’s and concerts.
I was the kind of stupid who tried to take on a motor cycle gang with a pool cue. I was 5’2 inches and weighed about 100 pounds. The motor cycle gang had a good laugh, patted me on the head and went back to shooting pool. I was having fun in the middle of a riot with the Nazi party who marched on our school when my friend’s big brother threw me over his shoulder and into the back of a car and sped off. I wanted to kick some Nazi butt. It’s hard to get respect over the shoulder of a guy running full speed. What they failed to realize was I, was raised with four sisters. There is nothing more vicious than that. I was small and was picked on in grade school. I also had a big mouth and stubborn nature that created one or two problems for me. I did the smartest thing I could have done; I made friends with the largest kids in school. I continued to do this into high school and even college. But still I was stabbed in a knife fight by a girl over a guy. The knife took a chunk out of my arm and I bear the scar still today. She also became one of my closest friends. We had strange friendship rituals back then.
I was the kind of sad who blamed herself for things she had no control over. Rape is a crime, not a punishment.
My name is Nancy Jean Pofahl. And this is my story. Why should you care? Well, you probably don’t have to but, you have to have something to read while you wait in line at the checkout.
One of the things I love to do most is ride motorcycles. I would own one now if my husband and kids didn’t know who I was…and about this oh so stupid predicament that I got myself into. Me and my big mouth. 
My brother-in-law Ed, Sharon’s husband and I were riding cycles in a quarry-mountainous region outside of Roswell NM. We had the usual safety necessities for dirt biking. A helmet and a case of beer. It was the case of beer truly saved my life. I was not familiar with the terrain but everything appeared fine to me. You go up a hill and you go down a hill, you go up a hill, you go down a hill, you go up a hill and fly off a ten or so foot drop off into oblivion yelling, “ fuuuuuuck, I’m going to die!” And land in a cactus plant. If I’m lying I’m dying….wait! Let me rephrase this. If I’m lying I’m going out for coffee.  
I kicked around for a while living in my car and shaving my legs on the dashboard. I would sponge off Barb and Pat, two of my sisters,  and alternate sleeping on their couches. During this time there were only two trips to the doctor and hospital. One was to have a fatty tumor removed and the other was for a sprained knee, I fell off of my six inch high heels and landed on my date, specifically his groin, you could hear the scream for miles and I yelped in pain too at the noise. He never asked me out again, I don’t know why after all, he was a singer in a rock band and all I did was give him another octave level. 
My 21st birthday came and we had another snow storm. And life progressed until that fateful day in January when I was doing dishes. Steve was sitting at the kitchen table and I said “Hey, we should get married.” In the same tone of voice I used to say; “Hey take out the garbage.”  You could actually see the light bulb above my head.  Steve looked up from his cross word puzzle and in a bored monotone said. “Yeah, ok. That was that. No speeches no getting down on one knee just me and a dishrag and him with a cross word puzzle. The insanity begins.
I chose July 7th for our wedding day. The reason was obvious. This was Steve’s birthday so I would get a present too. Plus he couldn’t possibly forget our anniversary.
 You would not believe the number of times he forgot our anniversary. I think it was a way of blocking out the pain of our wedding day, and quite possibly being married to me. 
The months between our big romantic marriage proposal and the wedding were relatively peaceful health wise, the longest period in my history without a hospital visit. There wasn’t time to get sick or injured; I had a wedding to plan. 
I honestly believe that the planners of the D day invasion of Normandy had an easier time then I did planning this wedding. 
 
 
 


© 2008 Nancy


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

An interesting start, I liked that I wanted to read more. On the plus side, your grammar is good and creates effective and emotive writing.

Posted 6 Years Ago


An interesting beggining to what sounds like a little bit crazy and unusual life. I'm glad there weren't any cactus plants where I used to dirt bike in California, or I surely would've found them. Sam

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 28, 2008


Author

Nancy
Nancy

Milwaukee, WI



About
I am an author who has had my first book published and is writing my second book. The first book is a humerous autobiography which was well received by both my agent and my publishing company I hav.. more..

Writing
Celebrate Celebrate

A Poem by Nancy