Chapter 1 - Siren

Chapter 1 - Siren

A Chapter by nseddy
"

This Is chapter 1 of my new unfinished short story/novella Siren. Please let me know what you think?

"

           

The redeye to Athens seemed to go on forever; it was actually about ten hours but seemed like twenty.  You know that feeling of anxious anticipation when you want to be somewhere and can’t wait to get there already, that was me for 10 hours.  Caleb and I both did end up sleeping a little on the flight, even though my mind was racing with the adventure ahead of us.  We arrived to Athens at about 10am on a Wednesday.  Our flight to the island of Kos in the Dodecanese chain was later that evening at around 8pm.  So we had a lot of time to kill. We collected our luggage and talked about what we should do in the interim as we hiked through the vast expanse of the airport.

 “Ivy, I think we should head into Athens, grab lunch and maybe see the Acropolis; I would like to do more but I am not sure if we have enough time.”  Caleb said. 

“Listen as long as we don’t miss our flight to Kos, that’s sounds like a good plan.  I certainly don’t want to spend the day at the airport.” 

“We’ll have plenty of time don’t worry.  We’ll just make sure to catch a cab back at 5pm or so.  Let’s go find a locker to store our bags and catch a cab into the city.  I am starving too, that plane food was awful.”

“I know it was disgusting, how can people eat that garbage?  Let’s get a move on sweetie.”  I smiled and he led the way.

We dropped off our bags and in a locker and found the taxi stand. There was a line so we waited patiently as the scorching Athens sun belted down on us. I brought out the suntan lotion and started applying it to Caleb’s face and neck and ears, then I put some on myself.  I didn’t want us getting burned and ruining our trip.  We came up to the front of the line and jumped into a minivan like taxi.  Caleb asked the driver to bring us to the Acropolis.  He barely acknowledged us with a wave of his hand as we started into the city.  After 20-25 minutes, we started to hit heavy inner city traffic.  Like most big cities, there were a lot of crazy drivers, honking and yelling at each other.

“Hey Caleb look at that guy on the motorbike over there, he has his little girl sitting in front of him. They both aren’t wearing helmets!”

“Oh yeah, I see him.  Holy s**t look! He just drove up on the sidewalk to skip all the traffic!”

“I know wow.  I see other motorbikes on the sidewalk over there too.”

We both looked astonished that was allowed.  We continued on into the city for a few minutes, taking in as much as we could.

“Look, I found our lunch!”  I said, pointing to the right at a McDonalds and laughing.

“No chance baby!  I didn’t come all the way here to eat at McDonalds.”  He exclaimed as we both roared out laughing.

The taxi dropped us off at the base of the Acropolis and we surveyed the area.  The area was filled with tourists and many shops, cafés and restaurants with outside sitting areas.

“Let’s find a place to eat first.”  Caleb Said.  We looked at menus to several restaurants then just gave up and selected one that was busy and looked clean. 

We were seated at a small table under an umbrella and thankful for it, the sun seemed much stronger here than Boston and with the lack of sleep we were starting to feel worn down.  Having looked at the menu before coming in, Caleb and I both knew what we wanted.  The waiter brought over a pitcher of ice water with fresh lemon and filled up each of our glasses.

“Welcome to the café Plaka.  My name is Nikolas and I will be your server today.  Our specials today are Lamb Gyro and Chicken Souvlaki.  We also serve a nice house white wine that is very sweet and refreshing on days like this. 

“Ok thank you, I think we are ready to order.” Caleb said looking at me.

“I will have the Greek Salad with Chicken Kabobs please.”  I said, I wasn’t too experimental food wise.

“I think I will try the Lamb Gyro and we will take a ½ bottle of the house white wine you mentioned.” Caleb said.

“Of course, I will put your order right in and bring over the wine.”

“Thanks Nikolas.” I said.

I pulled off my sandals to air out my feet.  Feeling the warm breeze filter through my toes.  Then I slid my foot over to Caleb’s leg and seductively ran my toes up his leg into his crotch.

“You naughty girl.” he giggled.

I leaned in close to him.

“Wait until we get to the hotel in Kos tonight and you’re going to find out.”  I giggled.

“I can’t wait!  But stop it for now, I don’t want to be walking around Athens with a hard-on.”

We both almost fell to the ground laughing as the waiter brought over the wine.  He poured it into each of our glasses. It was refreshing and light.  We polished off the half bottle and ordered another.  By the time the food arrived we were a little tipsy.  The food was wonderful and we enjoyed every bite, then we shared some heavenly Baklava for dessert. 

With my belly full, sitting there in the shade with a gentle breeze keeping us cool, my thoughts went back to when Caleb and I met four years ago during freshmen orientation at Harvard.  We became quick friends and since we were both Computer Science majors, when school officially started we were joined at the hip.  We attended most of the same classes and studied nightly together.  We hooked up finally after a friend’s Halloween Party that first fall. We both went as Zombies and had a great time, when he dropped me off to my dorm after the party, he pulled me tight and we kissed for the first time. Those four years were a blast but went by so fast. 

*****

Having a few hours left, we asked Nikolas how to get to the Acropolis entrance and started on our way.  He said we just needed to head south and there would be signs for the entrance in about 1/2mile.  So we walked down through the Plaka; the centuries old shops, apartments above and cobblestone streets were amazing.  The shops were selling all sort of Greek touristy things like Greek flags, mugs, glasses, t-shirts, key chains and even some traditional drums.  We stopped into one and picked up some cold bottled water, t-shirts for ourselves and postcards to send to our parents when we got the chance.  We started to climb the steep slope but the big lunch, wine and heat started to take a toll.   We both looked a little ragged.  After 20 minutes or so we reached the top.

“We should have skipped that wine Caleb.”  I said huffing and puffing.

“Maybe, but it was so good at the time.  And stop whining, look where we are.” 

“OK your right, I know look around us, its breathtaking.” I said gazing over the sprawling city below us.

Holding hands, we meandered along the ancient stone paths towards the Parthenon.  Before us the aged marble pillars towered above.  I was mesmerized imagining the history that happened here over all the centuries these pillars stood erect.  According to the brochures, it was first erected in around 438 B.C. for the Goddess Athena, the goddess of wisdom and courage.  It was also converted into a church and then a Mosque at certain points in history.   I noticed a book stand under a tent nearby so we went over.  I caroused through the books and picked out one on Greek Mythology.  It appeared to be fairly light hearted reading, explaining how the various gods, demigods and heroes were created and intermingled.  

“We should start to think about getting back Ivy.” Caleb said. 

“I know but I wish we had more time here!  Let me pay for this and then we can walk around one last time.”

“Ok but then we need to head back and find a cab.  We should probably get a sandwich for later too.  I saw a shop near the entrance below.  I am not hungry now but I know I will be later.  I don’t want to be stuck eating airport food. What did you buy?” Caleb said.

“Yes that sounds like a plan.  I bought this book on Greek mythology that I can read when we go sailing so I figured I might as well immerse myself in local Greek myths.”

“Oh ok nice.  Sounds interesting.”

We followed the path to the other side of the Acropolis and were rewarded with a  magnificent view of Piraeus harbor and the sea beyond.  The sea was the deepest blue I have ever seen. We held each other for a few minutes gazing in disbelief.  Then something strange happened. 

“Caleb, we should probably get going.”  I said.  Strangely, he didn’t answer so I looked over at him, his unblinking eyes were fixed towards the sea.  “Caleb?” I called his name again, no response.  So I moved in front of him to try and block his view.  He was either playing a joke on me or in some type of trance.

“This isn’t funny, this better not be a joke!”  I said half hoping it was a joke and not the alterative.  I reached up and gave him a kiss on his lips and splashed some water on his head.  I noticed his eyes flicker and he seemed to come out of whatever trance he was in.

“What happened?  I was really worried about you!”

“I don’t know baby, I thought I heard something like a song with music coming from far away.  I could barely hear it though. It was like a whisper.”

“Well you were in some type of trance, and I didn’t hear anything.  What was the music like?”

“I don’t remember know, it felt like I was in a dream or something.  Maybe I am just dehydrated, I drank too much wine earlier and not enough water.   Either way, let’s get going”

“Ok maybe, and yes we should go but I want to talk to you about this later ok?”

“Yes sure.”

Then we headed back down the hill towards the Plaka.  Coming to the sandwich shop, we went in and got two falafel wraps and some more bottled water for the road.  Continuing down the street, we found a taxi stand and jumped in and headed back to the airport.  Riding back in the taxi we were quiet and tired from the busy day.  We arrived back at the airport around 6pm, collected our bags, went through security and found some seats to rest our weary feet.  I stretched my legs out across a few seats and laid my head on Caleb’s lap, resting my eyes and thinking back to the last month before we graduated. 

Through the four years in college our relationship became stronger and more passionate. I knew this but didn’t expect Caleb would propose to me, but he did just that out of the blue four weeks ago.  He had learned to sail as a child, so we would occasionally rent sailboats out of Boston Harbor to tour the harbor islands or even to sail to Provincetown for the weekend.   On a Saturday in early May, we sailed up the coast to Rockport and back, he proposed to me at twilight and I of course accepted.  I smiled to myself knowing I couldn’t be happier and with that I floated away into dreamland, taking a quick cat nap.



© 2014 nseddy


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You have a lot of good buildup here. I am still curious because of the prologue. One thing that stands out is the motorcycles on the sidewalk, which leads me to wonder whether that is some form of foreshadowing. I suppose I shall find out in the next chapter, or soon!

Posted 10 Years Ago


nseddy

10 Years Ago

Thank you! Yes i will post chapter 2 soon. There is a little foreshadowing in Chapter 1 but its not.. read more
Some telling is okay. But consider starting with showing so the telling doesn't stand out so much like in the beginning when you tell the relationship between Caleb and the main character.

Posted 10 Years Ago


nseddy

10 Years Ago

Thank you, i was thinking the same thing. Starting off is always a difficult task for me. I am thi.. read more
C. Rose

10 Years Ago

I think it is a matter of balance. The quantity of dialogue isn't an issue - just make sure to avoid.. read more
nseddy

10 Years Ago

Ok thanks so much:)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

Stats

202 Views
2 Reviews
Added on May 13, 2014
Last Updated on August 18, 2014


Author

nseddy
nseddy

Boston, MA



Writing
Possession Possession

A Story by nseddy