Savage::::: Foreshadowing

Savage::::: Foreshadowing

A Story by Dreadnought Oblivion
"

For a while now the wolves have been the government of the tamed lands. The foxes want that power and are prepared to throw he whole world into war if necessary.

"

Savage:

Foreshadowing

            The mountain stabbed deep into the sky, piecing the clouds and brushing with the stars. The animals of the forest surrounding it were going about their daily doings. The bears were fishing, the birds gliding on the gentle breezes. The most formidable creatures were the Wolves who inhabited the summit, and the Foxes who prowled the forest for prey. The Wolves were the de facto leaders of their piece of the world, stretching from the wide ocean to the east, all the way to the edge of the woods to the west, where nothing but grass grows. The foxes were something of a resistance however, fighting to overthrow the wolves’ government and enact their own, hiding under the guise of the people’s heroes. This is the story of Gray, a talented wolf and his journey to protect the world he has known his whole life.

           

            There was no noise to be heard from the plains, as always. The plains where the calm lands never has anyone seen anything but the winds playing with the grass, and the cragged hills surrounding the valley stood guard, blocking the ocean’s wrathful tides. It was for sure a serene landscape, but there was nothing out there; no food, no society, nothing but a blissful death with the wind to tickle your carcass. Gray knew better than to venture beyond the trees’ sanctuary to the lawlessness beyond, but the fox hadn’t cared, it bounded through the trees and rocks to the edge of the woods. He had turned to face Gray, with a wide smirk on his bloodied face, and he whispered, “Chase me, chase me beyond your safety, to where the rules change. Chase me to where your king can’t save you. You coward!” Gray stood at the edge of the woods, where the fiend had backed away from. He wanted nothing more to pounce on that infuriating murderer, to claw at its chest, and bite out its lungs; if he did that though, he would be caught eventually and Felix would surely exile him. Sheer anger made his blood run cold; he arched his back and let out a tracking howl to the rest of his party. Within seconds he could hear the patter of racing footsteps drawing closer. Gray watched as the fox pivoted on its heels and race away roaring, “The mighty wolves, the oppressive masters who are filled with trepidation at the mere sight of an open field! Is there no one who sees the irony of this?” Gray took an angry step forward, ready to chase after the creep, but he knew that his squad leader Ike was already within sight. He instead snarled obscenities towards the fleeting image of the fox who had escaped, after committing the murder of one of the most fearless and ancient wolves in existence, Jedus the grand-wolf.

            Jedus was one of the five founders of the wolves’ regime, leading the conquering army that overtook the order of the lions. The Pumas and Panthers were forced back into the plains and haven’t been seen since. Of the five founders only Jedus and Luka were alive, and as of last night only Luka the original Queen of the wolves still lived. The fox who had escaped, his name was Rox, had snuck past the guards of the elder chambers and murdered Jedus in his sleep, luckily more guards managed to protect Luka from the same demise.

            Ike walked up to Gray and sighed, angry but able to control his emotions. Ike was a large wolf, with tremendous paws, and intimidating jaws, he was well built in terms of muscle, but his coat had grayed from age and war, there were scars placed on his body, testament to the battles he had won. Next to arrive was Kurt, sleeker than Ike; he was the squad’s scout along with Gray. His fur still held its luster and there was only one scar that streaked across his belly, from when a frightened wolf cub had slashed at him during a siege. Kurt was shielding him from falling rocks. The last to arrive was Bull, a bulky wolf whose lack of speed but unnatural size made him perfect for the job of a squad executer. His fur was grayed worse than Ike’s; Bull was an older wolf who couldn’t resist the thrills of hunting. In comparison, Gray was smaller than Ike or Bull, but larger and stronger than Kurt. His fur was of fetching silver fur, and had a gleam that had earned him many girls over the year.

            The four of them turned from the spot, without their prey, and marched back to the mountain. They ran for many miles before the sun began to hide and the stars twinkle in the cloudless sky. When they reached a clearing that used to house a checkpoint for prison transport they stopped for rest. Kurt was the first picked to stand guard, the others burrowed themselves holes for warmth, and fell asleep rather quickly. A few hours passed uneventfully, allowing Kurt to change shift with Gray.

            For the first while, things were quiet. The only noise was Gray’s breathing and the rustle of leaves as the wind would pick up gusto. Then as if the world had been put on pause, everything stopped. Before he could move, Gray was surrounded by a group of foxes. There were six of them each one had its teeth flashed and were ready to pounce. Gray looked around at the assailants and a grin edged onto his face. He motioned towards the attacker directly ahead of him, ushering the start of the rumble. Gray stepped forward, and dropped to the floor, the fox in front of him leapt over. Gray pushed his body towards the gap the fox’s jump made. He was just about out when he felt a searing pain in his tail. He looked behind to see a fox with its teeth clamped firmly on his tail. Gray let out an agonized roar. In an instant his team responded. Ike, in his usual squad first, him never fashion, pounced onto a fox that was ready to charge me. Kurt was the next one to counter; he jumped into the scrap, and slashed at the fox that had been clamped on Gray’s tail. A deep gash formed in the fox’s back, in pain it released Gray, who spurted forward for a moment of recuperation.

            Gray set to mending his tail, licking the wounds clean, and letting his anger surge within. Gray was so absorbed in his pain and rage that he was oblivious to the two foxes who were approaching with snarls. When he actually looked towards the battle, the beasts leapt for him, teeth barred. Gray had no time to react; he just braced himself and growled in a quiet, low tone. Just when he thought he was done, Bull appeared midair, and tossed the foxes away from him. Bull backed away, and dared a look at Gray, who fought his shame to manage to hold eye contact. “I’m sorry Bull, really I-,” the foxes had gotten up and were charging again. Gray howled and leapt in. The first fox swiped at him, him side-stepped to dodge and swiped with his claws. He managed to land a scratch on the fox’s face. Blood trickled from the five pronged cut. The injured creature backed up… into Bull. Bull lifted his massive front right paw, and stomped on the fox’s skull. A crunch gave away the beast’s mortality. The other fox wasn’t so careless. It prowled in a circle around Bull and Gray, waiting for one of them to move first, but Gray wasn’t about to make two stupid mistakes.

            Over in the other side; Kurt had made quick work of the fox that had injured Gray, and was moving to face the other three that were fighting with Ike. Ike had been backed into a corner, his hind legs pressed against a large tree. The leading fox flashed his teeth, to which Ike replied with a strong slash. The other two jumped on him, claws flailing, teeth biting. Kurt came barreling over and clasped his mouth around the slashed fox’s face. It flinched and squirmed for a while, but soon died regardless. Kurt flung the carcass and rushed over to Ike, who apparently didn’t need any help. Ike was a true knight and had seen enough battles to know how to manage two overzealous assailants. Kurt noted that one was already dying, the other one, about to.

            Gray and Bull had also killed their targets. Ike was quick to resume command and ordered they begin moving immediately. The others agreed, and formed their typical defensive diamond formation. Ike took the lead and marched down the center. Bull and Kurt formed the sides, gaping themselves from Ike. Last was Gray who was the south point, forced to back with his shame and injuries. This would be the longest trip ever.                   

© 2010 Dreadnought Oblivion


Author's Note

Dreadnought Oblivion
This is my second story and more or less the "pilot" episode (chapter)
If you like it, review it
If you don't, goodbye
If you want to give me some pointers, than message me
Thank You

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

117 Views
Added on February 26, 2010
Last Updated on February 26, 2010

Author

Dreadnought Oblivion
Dreadnought Oblivion

Some Town, PA



About
Im a student, but between school, sports, college prep stuff, and chores; there isn't much time in my days more..

Writing