Burning Gold

Burning Gold

A Story by Ontokki
"

This story is for a contest but I still hope you enjoy it. It involves a stolen ring, a fear of spiders, and a sinister man.

"

Burning Gold

Aboard my uncle’s ship, The Bonfire II, I watched the deck disappear from afar.

Uncle Haven was shouting orders as I breathed in the salty sea air. It all looked beautiful. I only hoped that Uncle Haven’s stories of sea monsters attacking boats aren’t real. My hands were gripped tightly on the railing of the Bonfire II.

“Hello, Rosa,” greeted a voice from behind. I turned around and saw Nathaniel Franklin. He was a nice friend of my uncle’s but he was also my age, 17.

As he made his way towards me, I waved back to him. “Hi, Nathaniel! Nice day, isn’t it?”

Nathaniel reached me and wrapped his arms around me. I blushed. “Eh, um, Nathaniel?” I asked. He usually didn’t do this to me. But we both have been friends since we were 10 years of age.

He put his head on my shoulder and smiled out to the sea. “I heard that there was King Neptune, the lord of the seas,” he said, ignoring my redness. “Do you believe that, Rosa?” I tried to keep my face from being seen.

Sure, Nathaniel was a nice guy. He was also cute and charming, like a mischievous Prince Charming. His sea green eyes were dreaming and his hair was black and ruffled. He usually smelled of the sea since he loved to go swimming. Even in the cold winter. Whenever he smiled at me, I could already feel myself blush to the point that I blend in with the red beets Uncle Jack sells.

“Well, King Neptune sounds interesting but…he won’t attack us, will he?”

Nathaniel laughed his hearty laugh. “Oh, no, Rosa. He won’t attack. Maybe sea demons and deadly creatures.” He eyed me and straightened. His arms let go of my waist as he cleared his throat. “Anyway, um, would you with me to get a barrel of wine for your uncle?”

I shrugged. “Well, I don’t know. There aren’t any spiders, are there?” I asked. I had a fear of spiders. I don’t know why I ever did but Uncle Haven told me tales about spiders. They sure scared me.

“No. I don’t believe so,” he said. “But…if there are, then don’t worry! Nathaniel is here to protect you!” He stretched his arm out, flexing his muscles. I laughed.

“Come on then.”

_Down_

Nathaniel used his candle to search for the barrel of wine Uncle Haven needed. I stood at the stairs, turning the golden ring over.

The ring once belonged to my mother who died of a heart attack when I was five years old. On the golden ring, beautifully etched words were engraved in cursive. It said: Forever and always. Those words, my mother used to tell me, meant a lot. I looked through the ring and it looked golden than ever. I called my ring, “Aurum,” which meant “gold” in Latin.

I felt the ring grow hot. It burned bright yet I stupidly put it back on. I thought it was the trick of the afternoon sun. As I put it on, it began to burn through my skin. I desperately took it off and the burning sensation made me drop it.

“Rosa, what’s wrong?” Nathaniel asked as I fell to my knees, looking for it.

There were too many ropes and barrels. Aurum could have rolled under a barrel or get caught in rope. “Aurum…it’s gone,” I murmured as I searched. Then I felt something on my arm. I gently turned my head and screamed, “Spider!” I smacked my arm and the spider died.

Nathaniel put his arms around me. “Are you okay, Rosa?” My tears fell. “Come on. I’ll get you to your cabin. Maybe getting the wine for your uncle isn’t a good idea now.”

I sniffed. “Nathaniel, I dropped Aurum! I can’t-I can’t"“

Nathaniel and I bumped into a tall handsome man all dressed in black. He wore a black and white tuxedo with dark gloves over his large hands. I saw dark piercing eyes that made me shudder. When he saw me, he smiled like a sinister.

“What’s wrong here? Young princess crying?” he asked.

Nathaniel scowled at him. “I’m sorry, mister. But it’s none of your business.”

The tall man nodded. “I see,” was all he said. Then he turned and left.

I faced Nathaniel who was frowning. “Alright. Let’s go, Rosa,” he said.

I knew Aurum was there. I needed to find it. It was the only thing I had of my mother’s. Nathaniel waited as I stared down.

“You need to rest,” Nathaniel assured.

I nodded and sighed. “I’ll come look for it tomorrow.” Nathaniel walked me out as we bumped into Uncle Haven.

“Rosa, dear, why are you crying?” Uncle Haven asked.

I wiped my tears quickly. “N-nothing, Uncle. Nathaniel was just about to take me to my cabin.” I said. He eyed Nathaniel suspiciously. “Uncle, don’t get thoughts!” He laughed with his dark beard swaying.

“Alright, girl,” he said. Then he turned to Nathaniel. “But, boy, if you lay one finger on my niece at her cabin, I’m going to throw you to Neptune. Got it?” Nathaniel smiled playfully and nodded. Uncle Haven smiled. “Ah, good! So, where is that barrel of wine, eh? Never mind that! I’ll get it! Escort Rosa to her cabin.”

He walked back to where we came from. Nathaniel smiled at me and said, “Rosa, do you know how I feel?”

We walked slowly. I answered honestly, “No. I-I don’t know. Why?”

“Well, I…I may have liked you,” Nathaniel said. “I’ve liked you since you turned 15. I’m just not sure how"“

Right around the corner, I heard an argument. Nathaniel quieted and listened.

“Aye! I found this ring! I keep it! Not you! Never you!”

I took a small peek before Nathaniel pushed me back. I saw that tall handsome guy from earlier. He was waving his hands around and saying, “Oh, quit being so greedy! Give me it!”

My mind clicked. Ring? Maybe Aurum. But that’s impossible. I just dropped it and that tall man had left quickly. “Bah! Never mind you! Just leave! I found it, I keep it!” I wanted to believe it wasn’t Aurum. But as that old man holding my mother’s ring waved it around, I saw it flash brightly and burn red.

“Burning!” the tall guy pointed out.

The old man yelped, “Wah!” He dropped it to the floor and blew on his finger. “My poor finger!”

“You fool!” yelled the stranger. “You just dropped a golden ring!” It was Aurum. I had to get it.

I made a step forward but Nathaniel pushed me back again. He gave me a warning look and I had to obey since it was hard to argue without falling into a daze. His dreamy sea green eyes made it hard to win an argument with him.

“Forget it! I’ll search the cabins for more of treasure and leave as soon as I find enough!” said the stranger. He turned and I was afraid he might’ve seen us. But Nathaniel took a step back and pretended we were just rounding that corner.

The stranger saw me and smiled like a gentleman. He made a bow and said, “Hello, lovely Rosa.” I gulped. How did he know my name?

I didn’t want to find out. I wrapped my hand around Nathaniel’s and walked side by side with him. Nathaniel kept looking down at the old man who searched urgently for Aurum. He continued walking as his hand laced around mines.

“Listen, Rosa, I don’t want to leave you alone with that guy,” Nathaniel muttered. He looked behind us and we stopped in front of a cabin door. “Rosa, I don’t…I don’t trust him. But I have to go to your uncle. If he doesn’t need anything, I’ll come back quickly, alright?”

I nodded. He turned but faced me again. “Don’t let him in. If he knocks really hard…then, well, scream for help. I got a bad idea about him. Understand?” I nodded again and he smiled. He gave me a surprise before he left.

Nathaniel gave me a kiss on the lips before he left. He looked at me and smiled. “Remember, Rosa,” Nathaniel insisted. He opened my cabin door and let me in before he left.

I closed my door and locked it. I checked to make sure it was then I walked over to my bed.

I sighed. “Nathaniel…oh, Nathaniel…he likes me,” I told myself excitedly.

A knock pounded on my cabin door. I shot up but didn’t ask, “Who is it?” I went over to the side of my bed where I kept a large whipping stick. Uncle Haven said it would be of good use in case someone tried to hurt me.

“Rosa?” a voice asked. “Rosa, my lovely, are you there?” I gulped twice. “Come on now. Open the door.” The door knob shook violently. I wanted to cry out for Nathaniel and Uncle Haven to come and help me. “Rosa! Open this door!”

I was scared but told myself to shut up and not talk. “I’ll knock this door down!” I took a step back and looked out my cabin window. I tried opening it while the stranger yelled some more. “Open! Now! I’ll kill you if you don’t open this door!” My fingers turned red from trying to open the window.

“Open!” That last yell made me scared. I wish I was still down there with Nathaniel, looking for that barrel of wine. I’d rather have spiders crawling around me than have to experience a sinister man attempting to break my door.

I began to cry. My fingers just couldn’t open it. I wiped my tears away with my sleeve. “Come on,” I whispered.

The door fell. I looked back in terror and saw the stranger there. He looked out of breath. I swallowed back a hot lump of fear. He was breathing hard as he put a hand on the doorway where the door was supposed to be attached.

“You,” he breathed. I stood on my bed, raising my whipping stick. I knew it wouldn’t be strong enough to hold him off but I still had to try. He strode over and I swung my stick around.

“Don’t even try,” he said as he grabbed my whipping stick. He plucked it out of my hands and threw it down. Then his large hands gripped my wrists as he pulled me to him.

“S-stop!” I yelled. He laughed. “N-Nathaniel! Uncle Haven! Help! Help me!” I kicked him in the groins as he fell down, groaning.

“You’ll pay for this!” he groaned. He stood up and recovered quickly.

I darted for the open doorway but that stupid fallen door caused me to trip. I looked up and saw the sinister man. He was smiling like an actual sinister.

“What do you want from me?!” I shouted as I stood. He didn’t answer my answer at first and pulled my arm again. “Stop! Stop it! Nathaniel! Uncle Haven! Help me! This man is trying to"“

His hand went over my mouth. “Don’t worry, lovely Rosa. You’re in good hands now.” I bit his hand and he yelped. “You young beautiful brat! Come here!” I couldn’t get out of his reach as I kicked and screamed.

“Nathaniel!” I hoped he was coming to my aid. I hoped that both Uncle Haven and Nathaniel were coming. “Nathaniel! Save me!”

“That’s it. Keep screaming for help! None of them will come!” The stranger hauled me into his arms as he leaned in forward. “You’ll be a good price! Maybe"“

“HELP ME!” I screamed.

“My ear, you beautiful brat!” He threw me to the ground as he held his ear.

To my relief, footsteps were coming. I stumbled forward as the stranger tumbled. “Nathaniel!” I saw him appear at the doorway.

He was sweating and wide-eyed. His head was bleeding as he ran forward and hugged me tightly. “Rosa, are you okay?” He peered over my head and saw the stranger standing, scowling. “Figured. Rosa, go get Uncle Haven!” Nathaniel went forward as the stranger did the same.

“No! Nathaniel, I’m not leaving you with him!”

The stranger eyed me and asked, “What’s that supposed to mean?!”

Nathaniel tackled the stranger and they fell down, wrestling. “No!” I shouted. I turned to the halls and screamed to the sailors, “Uncle Haven! Get Captain Haven! Hurry!” Some rushed over and saw Nathaniel fighting. They either joined the fight or ran off to call Uncle Haven.

I heard Nathaniel shout, “Don’t you lay a finger on her ever again!”

The stranger yelped, “Ouch! That’s my finger!”

A sailor screamed, “No one will touch the Captain’s niece!” They fought and wrestled until Uncle Haven appeared.

“What happened?!” he shouted as he entered my messy room. “What the heck?! Nathaniel! Get up! And you! Uh, random stranger! Sailor Finn! Stand!” I bit my nails as Uncle Haven inspected them.

“Who are you, stranger?!” shouted Uncle Haven.

The stranger smiled and shrugged. “I only wanted a talk with your beautiful, lovely"“

Nathaniel never let him finish. He punched the stranger in the nose. “You knocked her door down and when I came in, she was running from you! I suspect you laid your hands on her!”

Uncle Haven looked at me and asked, “Rosa, dear, did he touch you?”

I nodded slowly. I looked up and saw Nathaniel kick and punch the stranger again. The stranger was tall so he held back Nathaniel with one hand. He looked at me and let go of Nathaniel. He strolled over and Nathaniel ran to me.

The stranger beat him. “My Rosa, I only wanted a talk…about your future.” Nathaniel clenched his fists. The stranger held my hand and Uncle Haven went in between us.

“Hold on now, stranger,” Uncle Haven said. “Like what Nathaniel said, don’t touch Rosa. No one, and I mean no one, will touch her. That includes you.” The stranger frowned but looked around. Gathered around my cabin door were tons of sailors but there were more manning the ship. He was outnumbered.

“Get me off this horrible ship. Now!” demanded the stranger. The sailors frowned and shook their heads.

Nathaniel smiled naughtily and suggested, “How about we throw him off the ship and to Neptune, Captain?”

I would have smiled if Uncle Haven wasn’t there. Nathaniel was always like that, being mischievous but playfully serious sometimes.

Uncle Haven snorted. “Nope. He touched Rosa. Let’s burn him.” The stranger gaped as Nathaniel smirked. I stared at my uncle, wide-eyed. I’m sure all the other sailors did the same. “Argh! I’m just kidding. I’ll let this man off for now. But if I see him return here on the Bonfire II, I’m burning you for sure.” He pointed at the stranger.

Everyone all nodded and some smiled at the idea. Only the stranger, Nathaniel and I waited behind.

Nathaniel walked to me protectively and said, “Out. If you’re here, I suspect you’ll just cause trouble or fix the door you broke.” Nathaniel put a hand on my shoulder and squeezed it. “Never come near Rosa again.” The stranger looked angry but when he saw me, he pretended to act like he understood.

“Alright. I shall fix it,” he said.

“I don’t think that’s necessary. We’re reaching our next stop. Get off.”

The stranger scowled at us. “Next time, Rosa.” I felt scared. I hugged Nathaniel as if I wouldn’t ever let him go. “Well, I’m off.”

When he was gone, I broke down in tears. Nathaniel asked, “Rosa?”

I put my arms around his neck and kissed him softly. “Thank you, Nathaniel, for saving me.” I sniffed as he returned the kiss.

“I’ll always be with you,” Nathaniel replied. We both looked at each other and I realized that Aurum didn’t seem very important anymore. Only Nathaniel did. He was my treasure. Not Aurum. That burning piece of gold can be thrown deep in the sea but I’ll be happy as long as Nathaniel stays with me.

“I love you,” I whispered as we both kissed one more time. But the memory of that day scared me but made me feel happy every time I thought of it. I called that day, Burning Gold.

© 2013 Ontokki


Author's Note

Ontokki
This story is for a contest in the group, The Challengers. ^_^ Enjoy this and please join The Challengers! Hope to see ya there!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
Added on January 1, 2013
Last Updated on January 6, 2013

Author

Ontokki
Ontokki

Fresno, CA



About
Hi, writers! ;) I'm going to state the obvious here, and say, "I love to write my own original books." I have about 7 unfinished books with only 1 finished book. My type of genres would be fantasy, .. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Ontokki


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Ontokki