Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Ontokki
"

Introduction to Jade's world

"

Chapter 1

It’s my sister’s screaming that wakes me up at midnight. Edith, my younger sister, kicks off the blankets from her bed, screaming loud and agonizing. For weeks, she’s been afraid and has been telling me she’s afraid “they” would come for her.

People used to say that fear keep you alive. Now everyone believes that’s a wrong statement. My sister and I lived in a world where your fear comes true in your dreams. It’s dangerous, because these Fears can kill, or torture, you while you sleep. The Fears begin haunting you after you turn seven. I don’t understand why at that age, and it makes me curious. This sort of thing makes me curious about other people’s Fears, including Edith’s and my own. But ever since Edith turned seven, she’s been waking up, screaming with her hands around her neck. Now she’s eight. A year since the Fears began torturing my sister. Edith’s been coughing blood now and insisting that she doesn’t sleep. I’m worried, and I hate that I am. If her Fears are enough to make her too scared to sleep, then it’s enough to make me worried about her health and how short her life might be.

Honestly, I don’t even know who-or what-to blame this on. This whole “fear kills you” thing seems way out of human control, anyway.

I take Edith into my open arms, and say quietly to her, “You were just dreaming, Edith. It’s not real.” Every word stuck to my mind, analyzing it as a lie I always said to assure her.

Edith tries to calm her sobbing, but it grows muffled. She buries her head in my shoulder and tries to stop again. “I’m sorry, Jade,” Edith whispers softly.

I pat her back reassuringly and reply, “You have nothing to apologize for, Edith.” I pull stray strands of dark hair away from her tear-streaked face. She resembles my mother, her dark brown hair and calm, gray eyes that can look so frightened and desperate. I resemble my father more than my mother with my ashen blonde hair and emerald green eyes.

Four years ago, my parents died due to their Fears. I still don’t know what their Fears were, but according to the doctors, they shared the same fear and died of it. It still puzzles me how they can both die of the same fear at the same time.

But I have Edith to protect now. My only fear is losing her the way I lost my parents. She’s my only piece of family left. I find it a miracle that Edith is still alive and surviving her Fears that leave her screaming for mercy.

She slumps her small body against me, and I rock her back and forth. Edith sniffs and asks, “Do you have something you’re scared of?”

I hug her tightly as I reply, “I’m only afraid of losing you, Edith.” My voice stays calm as I say so. If I ever lost Edith to some Fears-

I force myself not to think about it. She’ll stay alive. But that will mean more torture.

Edith nods and closes her eyes. “Did I wake you?” she asks.

I shake my head. “You didn’t.” Edith did wake me, but if I tell her, she’ll feel bad about it.

She lets out a tired yawn. “I’m sorry. I’ll stop screaming.”

“There’s nothing to be sorry for,” I say again, trying to make her forget about apologizing. “Just go to sleep now, Edith. I’ll be here if you awake again.” I kiss her forehead the way my parents did to Edith and I before sleeping. “Sweet dreams.”

It isn’t too long before Edith falls asleep again. I tuck her in, putting the blankets over her. I only hope she’s able to survive this dream. Every time Edith goes to sleep, I’m always afraid she’ll die in her dreams. It scares me that I can’t even save my sister from her own dreams.

I sit at the bedside, watching Edith breathe in and out calmly. Now, her dreams are just beginning, meaning there’s no torture. I hold her small hand that’s beginning to twitch.

I murmur to myself quietly, “How can I stop her fears from…” I don’t say it out loud. There’s a chance Edith can still hear outside of her dreams. It’s possible for that to happen. When in the first stages of sleep, you can hear everything around you clearly. But after your fear interrupts your mind and sleep, you’re lost to the world. It’s like sleeping like the dead.

I gulp and say, “I can save you, Edith.” I look at my hands and hers. “I think I can save you, everyone. Don’t worry, okay?” My only response from her is a small groaning sound. I smile faintly. “I’ll save you.” Maybe, I think.

***

Edith’s footsteps are heard as she yawns and walks into the kitchen. Her brown hair is a mess, and she’s still squinting and rubbing her eyes tiredly.

“Morning, Edith,” I say, flipping some bacon over.

She nods. “Good morning, Jade.” Edith yawns again. “What time is it?”

I reply, “Time to get ready for school. Hurry; go wash your face and brush your teeth.” Edith nods and walks to the bathroom. Even though nearly everyone is haunted by their fears, they still have to live normal and go to school or work. Even though I’m only 17 and I should be finishing high school, I take a part-time job to support Edith and I. Whenever Edith gets out of school, I have to take her with me to where I work, waiting for my shift to end. I work at a small restaurant called “Meals & Deals”. It’s good I work there, because if there’s some kind of special occasion, I get a discount at Meals & Deals.

Edith returns five minutes later, fully dressed with her hair tied in a messy ponytail. She sits at the table and watches as I give her a plate of eggs and bacon with toast. I pour a glass of juice and place it on the table. Moving slowly, Edith scoops a spoonful of eggs into her mouth.

After a while, Edith murmurs in a gentle voice, “Jade, I’m tired.” I look up and see Edith’s tired eyes with dark circles underneath. She does look tired. It makes me feel like I shouldn’t let her go to school.

I purse my lips together and answer shakily, “Yeah-I am, too.” What do I say? I can’t let her stay home alone while I’m gone. It’s too dangerous. But I can’t force Edith to go to school, either. She’ll be too tired.

Edith sighs and nods. She probably wasn’t expecting my answer. I don’t want to push Edith too much. “Okay,” is all that she says. “I’m done.”

“Put it in the sink,” I say. Edith puts the plate in the sink, and slowly walks to me.

She tugs on my sleeve and says, “Can I-can I not go to school today?” I’m surprised. Edith doesn’t usually asks these kinds of questions. The look in Edith’s eyes-she needs a break. Forcing her to school will only tire her out, making her sleep more than needed. The fears will return to her, and I just can’t face the fact that I might lose my sister.

“Sure,” I say. Edith smiles, a relieved smile. She sits on her chair and rests her head on the table, yawning.

“Thank you, Jade,” she murmurs in a sleepy voice.

***

After I wash dishes and do a little cleaning, I check on Edith. She’s still sleeping in the room, and so far, the Fears haven’t been torturing her yet.

I’ll save you, my words echo in my head. I know that it’s probably impossible for me to save Edith-and everyone else-from these Fears that are killing us all so quickly.

I walk back to the living room and check the time. It’s only 10:54 am. I still have time before heading to work. So what should I do?

“I should go grocery shopping,” I say to myself as I look in the refrigerator. Should I wake Edith and take her with me? Or do I leave her home alone? Well, I can’t leave her home alone. It’s too risky. But waking her up just to go to the store?

I walk to Edith’s room to get my jacket, when I find Edith standing next to the window, staring outside. “Edith, you’re awake,” I say, surprised.

She nods, not saying anything else. I slowly walk to her, trying to find what she’s staring at. Outside the window are children about Edith’s age playing happily with a large rubber ball. They’re running around with the ball, bouncing it in the middle of the street.

“I feel sad,” Edith whispers softly. I look at her and she turns her head slowly to me. I bite my lip to keep from gasping. Edith has a large scratch on her cheek, reaching from her cheek bone to her jaw. It’s oozing a little bit of blood. That means it’s not really a deep scratch, but it still looks painful to have.

“Edith,” I say quietly, “what happened to your cheek?”

Tears roll down her cheek, and she says shakily, “They did it. They hurt me. Jade, I’m scared.” More tears come, and I pull Edith into a tight hug. She cries loudly, saying, “Don’t let them take me. I don’t want to go with them. They hurt me.”

Who is “they”?

“Edith, who-”

“Monsters!” she yells, backing away from me. “Scary monsters with sharp nails and ugly teeth and scary, scary faces!” Edith begins to swat the air around her, screaming. “Go away!”

“Edith,” I say, panicking. Monsters. That’s what “they” were. Monsters. Edith’s afraid of monsters. “I won’t let them hurt you.” But they scratched her. They hurt my sister.

She cries loudly, “Jade! They’re scary! They’re going to take me! Don’t let them!” Edith runs into my arms hurriedly and I hold her tightly. I’m beginning to feel afraid for her. These things are hurting her. I can’t do anything about it.

I say to her, “I won’t let them, Edith.” I stand up, carrying her. “Come on. Let’s go somewhere else.”

“Don’t take me to them.”

“I won’t,” I reply softly. “We’re going outside for a while. So don’t cry. Okay? I’ll protect you.”



© 2013 Ontokki


Author's Note

Ontokki
Please tell me if there's anything wrong with this chapter ^^ Please tell me what you think of Chapter 1, also. Thank you for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I liked it! A great idea that you can go in so many directions with.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Ontokki

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much. ^^

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

117 Views
1 Review
Added on July 27, 2013
Last Updated on July 27, 2013


Author

Ontokki
Ontokki

Fresno, CA



About
Hi, writers! ;) I'm going to state the obvious here, and say, "I love to write my own original books." I have about 7 unfinished books with only 1 finished book. My type of genres would be fantasy, .. more..

Writing
Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Ontokki


Phobia Phobia

A Book by Ontokki