Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Rose Abernathy

Every Shadow has a Human and every Human has a Shadow. What is a shadow you might ask? It is a man's reverse and his equal. It's the concentration of the subconscious. The emotions. Humans are creatures of logical and physical liveliness. Shadows have physical forms, but these forms are always cold. Shadows aren't of flesh and blood, so they don't have body heat. They feed off of energy. Don't think it's energy sucked from humans, not at all. Radioactivity. They feed on electricity. Shadows also don't sleep, they need repose, but it's more like a temporary stoppage of functionality.

If a Shadow is defeated, it's Human becomes perfect, and a star, to mankind. In all reality, they become mutants, with no heart, no emotion. The shadows that knew this person must then live in fear. If a Human is overcome by its shadow, the shadow becomes real, a person, but they often become weak and slowly fade into madness. So, humans and shadows have lived in harmony, mostly, balancing each other out, for over 50 years. 

Then we, Melody and I, existed. I am Symphony, her Shadow. We are almost the same, yet, we both are individuals. Yes, we are connected, but we have minds of our own, our different ways of thinking. She often wanted to sketch, whereas I would sing. 

One day she and I left each other. This may sound normal to an outside being, one who does not know my universe, but it is not. Shadows must always be at their Human's side until freedom is won, or death.  But Melody separated from me; I didn't even know it was possible. We went our different ways. She became a famous painter, every human and shadow knew of her, she was the first human in over 50 years that didn't have a shadow. 

I was forgotten. Melody sent me letters, for a while. But now I am running from every being on the planet. I can disappear into the shadows literally, becoming just a shade of darkness on a wall. I have to pretend not to exist, or I could be in extreme peril. If I am ever discovered, I will likely get a death penalty for breaking the ignorant humans' laws on shadows. We are basically slaves if you study the amount of freedom we have. I, Symphony, am the only shadow to be separated from her wholly physical counterpart. Never done before yet illegal. 

Funny how it took the humans 3,000 years to discover how to destroy us. Fire. They poke us with a flaming torch. The worst part is there is no such thing as a swift and painless death for a shadow. Depending on how powerful we become, it could last any length of time from five minutes to three hours. Fun, huh?

Either way, I'm on the run. I know of one place where the shadows gather once a year. Shot Melu. Or, the dark realm for those of you who don't know. That one-week celebration at which we can gather starts tomorrow. I have to find the portal before it opens because I'm not giving up my shot at finding a home.  I remember it being somewhere in the forest. I finally see the tree where the void opens. It is roughly two hours to midnight. So, I wait it out until the portal opens.


© 2019 Rose Abernathy


Author's Note

Rose Abernathy
How is this for a beginning

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

42 Views
Added on March 28, 2019
Last Updated on March 28, 2019