Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Rose Abernathy

The gateway opened allowing me to be one of the first to arrive. In the city, there is none of what would be recognized as light. All of us can see just fine without it and any form of torches, flashlight or flame, are dangerous. The sky is always light by starlight, and it's as if the whole universe is visible from here. More shadows pour in, greeting their families as we all reunite. I seek out my childhood friends, Drake and Gala. Twins. 

It's easy enough to find them, seeing as Gala's screaming "Symphony's not gone! I've told you one million times over. She's not dead! She the strongest person I know and I know for a fact that she is fine!"

"Who is this wanderer making her paths in the night, 
yet belonging? 
Who lays in wait for the moon to rise, 
though she is owned by the sun?" 
I quoted our favorite poem, the story of the human that lived in a village of shadows.
"Who-"

"Symphony? You were dead. I- How did you- What!" Drake's smooth voice rung out like bells chiming. We were total opposites in appearance. My skin was the basic shadow blue-gray, yet his skin was almost near to black. Drakes golden eyes were almost luminescent among soft and cool shades of shadows, while my eyes fit in even less, a soft glowing red, reflecting onto my skin making my face seem to turn purple when I'm happy or excited.

"Speak for yourself. I knew you were alive! Told you, bro!" Gala gloated. She looked exactly like a female, laid back version of Drake.

"You two are insane. What would Melody, a girl in the art industry, be doing with fire? Everyone knows only fire can kill a shadow. I cannot be found. So how are you two?" I ask.

"We're doing quite well," Drake taking in the cityscape around us. "I wish we could help you escape. Shadows have slightly more rights where we live. They can be distant from humans, even chose a path their own sometimes." His voice grew softer as if he longed to take me with him to the other side of the world.

"Why is shadow smuggling illegal? She should be allowed to come with us." Gala whined.

"I'm 'dead' remember? I can go with you, I just need to find a place to hide, maybe with someone who can keep the outside world away." 

Gala made goofy eyebrows at us. "I guess that might work."

"I'm glad you are going to be protected. But how could we hide her safely?" Drake's eyes twinkled. 

"We'll solve that out later! Time for a week of partying with our friend!" Gala chimed.

"Yeah, Drake, Let's enjoy the holiday," I taunted. But I knew that the week couldn't last forever.


© 2019 Rose Abernathy


Author's Note

Rose Abernathy
How is this for character introduction?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

37 Views
Added on March 28, 2019
Last Updated on March 28, 2019