18:00 ~ The Dress

18:00 ~ The Dress

A Chapter by Patrick Davies

    'She's coming!'
    'He's coming out now!'
    'This better be good.'
    'I've seen every one of them. Each one more stunning than the last!'
    'Can you see her?'
    'I have to go! I'm bursting.'
    'Is he there yet?'
    'I can't see her.'
    The room was ready to explode. The lights had been lowered and anticipation was sky high. The drooling crowd had gathered around the staircase. A set of bohemians in a country house. Every single one pretentious. All of them, perfectly superficial.
    Some were aristocratic and desperately old fashioned, where others came from all corners of industry and creativity. They leaned together with the collective knowledge that they were about to see something really special - again.
    In the corner stood a man leaning away from the flock, against a small table. He could zone in on each of the conversations - and was sickened by them, for they were all identical.
    'I can't wait any longer.'
    'If he pulls this off...'
    'If?'
    'Sorry. When she pulls this off, it's got to be like, some kind of, of record, or something!'
    'She's an absolute genius and...'
    The voice from the corner had heard enough.
    'Oh my God! She? I went out with this guy for a year. I've woken up with him, watched him shave! It's a he!'
    The voice was low and parental. The three or four who had been interrupted glanced round for a second, cast him a spitting hot look with their mouths open, and returned to their gaggling.
    James felt helpless. Though the reason why he should feel the need to "help" these people eluded him. They were always the same. He had never fitted in with this crowd and he never would. Half of these people had never heard the word "no" even once in their empty lives. God he felt sick, and drunk, and sick. Jerry always would have the most potent punch made for these occasions. He would even oversee it himself.
    'My entrance,' he would say, 'looks far better through teary eyes.' Then they would laugh. But no more. He had become so stubborn and driven by his own being that James felt more alone with him than he did on his own. God knew what had been added into the solution for tonight. But James didn't care. Soon Michael would be here.
    Michael understood exactly how James felt. In James eyes, Michael was a saviour. After leaving Jerry, Michael had flown in. He was an artist. He acted like there was still an art left in theatre, but Jerry had forgotten about art a long time ago. He knew how to be dramatic, yes, but the words "honest" and "true" did not compute with him anymore.
    This party was supposed to be for Michael. For Michael - to congratulate him on his new role, which he took very seriously - especially in comparison with Jerry. Jerry was his "rival". James had always though that that word was an understatement for the competition between the two of them. Ever since Michael had magically appeared on the scene Jerry had hated him, though he had managed to suspend Michael from any lead roles for years. Now it was Michael's turn and Jerry hated it. James hated himself for allowing such a thing as this to happen. And standing there, watching the "grand entrance", James knew that Jerry hated him too.
    First came the sparklers. Next, the exploding doors from the bedroom at the top of the stairs. Then out came the practically levitating Jerry, linking arms with a woman. There was no doubt in James' mind that the reason for the unbearable wait, that he and the audience had had to endure, was some unbelievable pre-party sex between Jerry and that broad on his arm. How could Jerry have done this, morally and practically, during a party that he was supposed to have thrown for Michael? It was a trap. A disgusting, psychological trap.
    'Oh my God!' Jerry had said when he found out. 'Michael, I'm so happy for you. Congrats!'
    The three of them had been there, having drinks in James' cosy apartment. The insincerity had clouded the air and intoxicated them as Jerry spoke on.
    'I'm going to throw a party for you, no doubt. It will be on Halloween, with some fabulous autumn punch and games. We should go all out! And have pumpkins! And apple bobbing!'
    And it was decided.
    Jerry was descending now. He had swan like delicacy, but was not very tall. He often wore those “Prince style” high heel boots, so as not to be left on the ground. He had to be up on the same level as the others, if not above - hence the staircase entrance. His costume was, with all due credit, genius. A lovechild of Ming The Merciless and Lindsay Kemp, he waved to his adoring fans below. James wished Michael could see this. They would laugh for hours at Jerry's absurd ideas and personas.
    The material was the colour of sangria with subtle heliodor stones around the collar and down the front. Following the stones downward, James saw the brilliant sash. It was golden and contrasted the red gown. James wasn’t quite sure what he was supposed to be, other than a stirring example of decadence.
    Halfway down the stairs now, James' eyes met those of Jerry. The latter smiled first. Not a kind smile, but a flashing of the teeth. The gesture was echoed from James in the corner. He wanted desperately to scream, but for Michael's sake he would resist. Jerry could crush Mike, and would, should he be embarrassed so publicly.
    Jerry's booted foot met the floor. The woman followed. James recognized her from the Theatre now that she was closer. He hadn't ever seen her anywhere else. He remembered her to be a Wilhelmina, Mina for short, which he had heard from a friend of his, who also didn't seem to know much about her. She was in a red dress - tight - with her long black hair pined up high - also tight.
    The crowd ceased to speak as Jerry raised his hand. The speech began.
'My dearest friends, I am so grateful that you could all attend and may I welcome you all to my ingeniously secluded abode.'
    The first round of applause began, despite only one line being said so far.
    'May I start by wishing you all...'
    The pace was lowered as he reached into his pocket.
    '...a happy...'
    Out flew his hand, onto his face, carrying a Bauta mask.
    'Halloween!'
    The second round shook the room as all the crowd placed their own masks on. A reluctant James followed with the mask he had been clutching all night. Jerry continued.
    'May I also present to you, the beautiful, the exquisite Willy, who has helped me organize this glittering event,' he said, motioning to the female.
James questioned if Jerry had even remembered what this party was for. Where was Michael's part?
    'Please feel free to explore all corners of my house. The garden is particularly gorgeous tonight, but be careful of the evil spirits that are with us this evening.'
'He's taking the piss now,' moaned James.
    'Shh!' Hissed an audience member back at him.
    Jerry wrapped it up. The cloaked vultures scattered. There was no mention of Michael.
    'Jimmy, Darling!' yelled  the toxic Jerry as he approached James. James hated that name, but it stuck with those who didn't know him so well.
    'A... High,' stuttered a shy James back, amazed at his own self control. 'That was. That was interesting.'
    'They loved me!'
    'Well they don't know you very well. I swear, half of them couldn't even tell your gender!'
    The two of them laughed. Jerry had ceased to be an a*s hole, if only just for the time being. James sometimes remembered some of the reasons why, whenever they were on their own, but with other people thrown in, the reasons why not always came flooding back.
    'So, did you forget about Michael in your big speech back there?' James probed. He wouldn't digress this time.
    'Oh! That! Well, I wanted to wait for him to arrive before I said anything, just as an extra surprise for the guests.'
    'What? They were all just at his show! They all came directly from the Theatre to your house!'
    'I know, but they don't know that the big star is coming here after his nightly rehearsals. Besides, I didn't want Michael to overshadow my big opening now, did I?' He giggled. Now he was back to acting like a complete wanker.

    Across the room, a couple - a married man and woman - looked distressed. The invisible energy field between a mother, a father and their children, which could stretch from one end of the universe to another, was being shaken. Their facade was crumbling. Something very bad was about to happen, or happening. They both silently felt it.



© 2009 Patrick Davies


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

really good :)

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

185 Views
1 Review
Added on August 9, 2009
Last Updated on August 26, 2009


Author

Patrick Davies
Patrick Davies

no



About
Tell you? About me? But what of the consequences? Oh God, the things they could do to my life if I handed it over... A background from which they could merge into the foreground - a window, an opening.. more..

Writing