00:00 ~ The Return To The Railway

00:00 ~ The Return To The Railway

A Chapter by Patrick Davies

    The Traveller fled. He knew now. Jack had used him. Jack had set him up. Jack lured him into a trap.
    No more calls of Jack’s would he answer tonight.
    Back along the corridor he scampered. Behind him he could hear cries of “Stop!” and “We’ll shoot!” rising from below on the stage. But they’d never find him if he could move quick enough.
    He knew the way around the secret passages of The Theatre - she had shown him, just in case this sort of situation arose. The only place left to go would be back to the station - a place he had fled earlier for fear of insanity. It would be dead now. All that would remain at this hour, and on this date, would be ghosts of Travellers - such as himself. Their luggage would forever remain. No train could ever take them to where they wished to be.
    The black cape of The Traveller disappeared behind the grand bookcase of the galleries. He sealed the door behind him, knowing fine well what he had witnessed on the stage in the short time he had been there. Murder. He had seen the work of Jack, the grounding of The Angel. And he knew where the murderer would be.

    The sirens echoed across the city in search of the force that was The Black Figure.
    Several witnesses reported seeing a man clad in black, alone, waiting for the last train at the station.

    The Detective made his way there. Fearful.
    Moving along the slippery roads of the city in the slug that was his car, Gast could hear everything and everyone who was screaming at that moment. The awful noise became choral and sweet as it echoed in its stale stereo. Everything was cold. The wet roads became black ice routes that only he dared to tread. The world was in bed. His world was the living dead.
    Two children kidnapped. The thought made The Detective’s spine twist. He had been at the house before being called to The Theatre. He also knew of the attack on the hospital. Bonnie. Bonnie was strong, she always had been, especially to him. She would defend whatever was right and good.
    He remembered the night when he had been so near death. Physically and mentally, she had healed him.
    Now, as the Earth was turning toward open space, ready to absorb the horrors from beyond the skies - the Sun, neglected and invisible, cried. Gast wanted more than anything to go to the hospital. To see if she was okay, even just to see her. However, the grinding, grinning metal of the train station, which sprawled across country, awaited.

    Nothing now. Just ghosts, and wind. The last train had left.
    ‘Sergeant,’ began The Detective, ‘I need to know the exact route of that last train. I need to know who the driver is. I need to know everything. I need security tapes.’
    ‘Yes sir.’ The same officer who had informed Gast of the name of The Angel had accompanied him here. ‘Can I help you with anything else Detective?’ He asked in a similar fashion as before.
    ‘No. Just focus on where that train was going. I know that wherever that train stops and he gets off, that’s where we need to be.’
    The screaming had ceased for a second. Gast knew that he was the only one who could hear it. Then it resumed. The Detective tried to separate the children from the rest, but the awful din built up even more.
    Again it ceased. A car was approaching. I came slowly down the road, cutting through the mist with its powerful headlights. It parked.
    Two officers got out. The walked quickly toward The Detective, speaking to him as they came.
    ‘Excuse me sir, are you Detective Gast?’
    ‘Yes. I am,’ Gast replied. He was terrified.
    ‘We would like for you to come with us Detective, I’m afraid we have some bad news. I'm sorry Detective, I don't know how to tell you this. It's about your wife…’



© 2009 Patrick Davies


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

296 Views
Added on October 18, 2009


Author

Patrick Davies
Patrick Davies

no



About
Tell you? About me? But what of the consequences? Oh God, the things they could do to my life if I handed it over... A background from which they could merge into the foreground - a window, an opening.. more..

Writing