A MEETING WITH THE EX

A MEETING WITH THE EX

A Story by Okechukwu Prosper
"

An encounter to never forget...

"

My earpiece hung loosely around my neck as I paced around checking shops inside the mall I was searching for “Coldstone”. It was my cousins birthday and I needed to surprise her, it had been over seven years since I last saw her and rumour had it that she was all grownup now. It was the summer holidays and I just returned from school, planning to spend the first few weeks with my uncle and his family here in Lagos before I head home. Basically time was not on my side, I needed to grab what was necessary and leave considering the fact that my Uncle Bennie stayed on the island and the Ikeja traffic was nothing to write home about.

Struggling with my left trouser pocket I tried to push my iPhone to safety as I hurried towards the Coldstone store ahead then it happened… coming out from MAX was Ife my ex-girlfriend all loaded with paper bags in the company of many. Time froze as she gallantly walked towards me, her hair swaying in the air imitating the rhythm of her body. My heart skipped a beat… it was the same awkward feeling you get when you meet the Ex. Trying my best to avoid eye contact, she walked directly up to me “hi, pleasant surprise” she said smiling “hey” I replied faking a smile, which ensued a very long pause- staring at each other for a while before she said “umm I came to get stuff for the summer internship” raising the paper bags to my eye level. I shook my head speechless; it was my fault we were no longer together after taking the wrong advice from a friend the ‘side chick theory’ an advice that cost my happiness. It was on a Thursday night after a hectic day that I called her out to meet me beside the prestigious Queen Esther and there and then I ended things between us leaving her all emotions and to the hands of other love birds around whom I deemed pathetic. It was a terrible mistake.

Now here she was all cool with me, this put me in deep thoughts realising the fact that I had lost control and right there she was obviously the one in charge. I wondered how ladies do it one minute they are crying and the next they act like they got everything under control. “Those are my friends over there” she said pointing towards a group of stylish girls with paper bags too. Nodding towards their direction I waved meekly and they reciprocated. ‘’Well I guess it’s time to go. My regards to your cousin” she said with a smile as she pulled me into her hugging me tightly. I felt the world coming to an end as I reminisced on what used to be our usual hug. It was obvious she wanted me to know I was missing out.

As she turned to leave she looked into my eyes with a straight face “goodbye Jake” she said and walked away to meet her friends without looking back. For the first time in my life I felt like a fool; oh damn I really was a fool! Lost was the treasure I once had but then I remembered the words of a wise man “regret is to the hopeless; never regret any decision you take in life” heaving a sigh of consolation I walked into the Coldstone store looking forward to better days with smarter choices.

© 2015 Okechukwu Prosper


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

326 Views
Added on December 13, 2015
Last Updated on December 13, 2015