Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by imagwriteine

Aaron

          

I put my bag onto the floor of my apartment, and turn on the television.

          

‘Earlier today the pro-government and pro-democracy protestors, also known as the blue ribbon and yellow ribbon, have yet another conflict……’

          

The 2 days of serenity in Macau seem a distant dream.

          

But who am I kidding, there is no serenity in Pearl River Delta, all there is are growth, growth and growth �" fast paced, intense living with the sole aim of increasing competitiveness, even with our family and friends at disposal.

          

I sigh, and tilt my head backwards so that I can rest on the rim of the sofa. Suddenly, I see a piece white, square-shaped paper with words scribbled on it lying on the white, glossy pseudo-marble floor. It is written:


“ Linda: +853 6403 9823

Chat sometimes”

          

A smile spreads unconsciously over my face. Never have I seen such a strong woman, independent. The sarcasm in her voice, the conviction in her eyes, the determination in her face. That I guess is the by-product of progress of society. Nowadays females depend less and less on males, some of them even wealthier and more successful than them. After all gender equality is stressed nowadays, and as one of the most developed and international regions China the Pearl River Delta is sure to be first to experience its effects.

          

On the LED screen are more images of people shouting, fighting. It may be concerning in the first few days, but the continuous bombardment is getting tiresome. I long for Linda �" her long black hair swaying like hula dancers in the wake of breezes, her face that is filled with colors and lights up like fireworks when she talks. I take out my phone, and dial her number.

          

‘Hello?’ A female voice says through the speaker.

          

‘Hey.’ I say in a sweet tone, smiling.

          

‘Who’s this?’ Her pitch rising, as if soaring into the endless space above.

          

‘Don’t you remember me?’

          

‘Should I?’

          

I hesitate for a moment, and say ‘It’s… Aaron.’

          

‘Oh Aaron! I’m sorry. Guess I should’ve asked for your number too.’ She giggles. 


I give out a laugh in return. So she hasn’t forgotten me, what a relief.

          

‘So why are you calling?’ She asks

          

‘Well I… I don’t know.’

          

‘You don’t… know?’

          

‘Yeah, maybe because I want somebody to talk to, someone smart and assured.’

          

Then comes a moment of silence, like a cloud covering up the bright, pale moon in the night. Darkening the sky as it does.

          

‘I… I am sure that there are more smart and assured guys you can talk to.’ She says swiftly, like a lightning, one minute it’s there, another it’s gone.

          

I sigh ‘It seems that it’s of a reverse these days. Guys can be really indecisive and lenient, talking about masculinity. Well, it is a world of feminists now.’

          

‘So... what do you want to talk about?’

          

‘Are you conscious of the umbrella revolution in Hong Kong?’

          

‘Yeah, I mean it’s all over the news. Fight for democracy, valid universal suffrage, things like that.’

          

‘It’s getting tiring.’ I say with a slight sigh.

          

‘Why, doesn’t it concern the future of your home?’

          

‘I know it does.’ It comes out a bit louder than I want to. ‘But all those conflicts, all those fights, all those accusations, it’s like as if Hong Kong is being torn apart you know? People starting to unfriend their friends on Facebook, police being called dogs, the whole society resorting to violence when they think their voices are unheard of. What’s the good of universal suffrage when faced with these?’

          

‘I… I… Well I don’t know what to say’ Her tone changes, gone are the sarcasm and fun, surfaced are pity and concern. The moon is clouded once again.

          

‘I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have bothered you with my problems.’ After a moment. ‘Bye.’

          

‘Wait!’ A voice strikes my eardrums, as if thunder. ‘Wait. It’s ok, I’m cool with your problems. It’s just that… take it this way: China is just starting to rise from the ashes, give it time, I’m sure that it will all get better in the future. Besides, what’s success without struggle?’ Her voice is soothing, like a hand on my head, warm, comforting.

          

‘Well I hope you’re right.’

          

Witty and empathetic. If only I could see her more.



© 2015 imagwriteine


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

Stats

136 Views
Added on August 12, 2015
Last Updated on August 12, 2015


Author

imagwriteine
imagwriteine

Hong Kong



About
a rookie (student to be precise) who likes imaginative writings and meaningful poems, reviews on my work would be nice, thx :) more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by imagwriteine


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by imagwriteine


Chapter 4 Chapter 4

A Chapter by imagwriteine