THE PARADOX OF IDEAS

THE PARADOX OF IDEAS

A Story by pia
"

this article I wrote is about how ideas,concepts, beliefs can help us progress but at the same time can cause damages in society. That depends on how one uses ideas and implements them. hope you enjoy

"

 

      Ideas help us grow. Ones involving religious, political or social content aid us in achieving a sense of ‘moral value’ and ‘individuality’. One requires the two to foster a sense of uniqueness and establish significance in society. Ideas are needed for progressing and for corroborating modernism. Tolerance and evolution of human behavior is something one can achieve by putting ideas into action. 


     Martin Luther King Jr presented the world with his ideas that changed history, but then, so did Adolf Hitler. How does one differentiate between the concepts of an idea being precarious or ideas that could help enlighten society? While one inculcates uniqueness and progressiveness the other fosters a lack of individuality. Ideas help us instill a strong sense of specialty but it can also, on the contrary, snatch away that very specialty and uniqueness. How does that occur? Well, ideas are meant to be explored and reformed. Blindly following ideas and teachings can lead to a decay of human personality. One forgets or is unable to relate to others who believe in their own notions


     April 15th 2017, the very concept of an idea resulted in the loss of an innocent life in Mardan, Pakistan. Mashal Khan was brutally killed because he didn’t conform to an idea that society deemed acceptable. The innocent young man symbolizes an idea portraying individualism while the mob that murdered him cold bloodily represents a group of homogeneous, like-minded flesh. Mashal Khan chose to get influenced by ideas to reform them into beliefs and concepts congruent to his own. The mob on the other hand chose to falsely and blindly follow an idea instead of stopping and thinking for a moment what their actions would cause. The lack of individualism is what brought together the mob, all believing in a singular idea. This very ignorance and inability to utilize ideas for progressing and intellectual proliferation is the root of all terror and instability in Pakistan.


     The human brain is meant for evolving. Ideas can help us achieve this. Ideas should bring in the aspect of exploration, questions and critical analysis. This is what helps a society grow. Having diversity in thinking and accepting that diversity. Understanding the concept of individual thinking and idea is what we lack in our country. A few days ago, I was criticized over my attire by a teacher who didn’t stop to think that the person she was deriding had a totally different idea of dressing. It is dangerous to have this mindset. The idea of self righteousness needs to be erased.

    

     Ideas should be used for human growth. Ideas themselves should also evolve and reform to be in congruence with current times and people’s current mindsets. Sticking to ideas unaltered throughout time and age is what harms society. It preaches intolerance. This is where one realizes when an idea could be healthy or damaging. When an idea preaches intolerance and stops you from uniqueness and diversities in other peoples thought system, that’s when it gets dangerous. When an idea promotes homogeneity and shuns individualism, that’s when is gets dangerous. Where an idea can help us prosper it can also cause deleterious effects. And this is the portrayal of a ‘Paradox of ideas’.

© 2017 pia


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I stopped by to read this after reading your review of my own similar poem: "Agree to Disagree" . . . I really like the way you are trying to show the difference between using ideas to uplift & expand, as contrasted to using ideas to tear down. Your message felt a little "cerebral" (big complex words about abstract ideas) at the start, but it got much more urgent & powerful when you brought in some specific examples. I think it would be good to use a more detailed opening, to grab the reader's attention.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

pia

6 Years Ago

You are probably one of thew group of people who give me constructive advice to improve myself
.. read more
barleygirl

6 Years Ago

No need to change an existing piece of writing, based on a review. To me, the point of reviewing is .. read more



Reviews

the mob that murdered him cold bloodily represents a group of homogeneous..................
...............My Favorite part.... To boost your ego Now! Listening to your creative voices allows me to grow even more than before, you are so beautiful indeed. Sensible, For Art is to beautify and you do it with so much finesse and style. Makes you sexy and gorgeous and lots of other pleasant descriptive words.....
...need hugging icons :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

pia

7 Years Ago

Ah yes hugging is great
G.C.... aka Gene

7 Years Ago

U almost spelled my name lol
G.C.... aka Gene

7 Years Ago

In the phone the E is on top of the i, so you did spell my name.
An intricate article that touches on many important ideologies. Very powerful. You are incredibly talented and I am glad that you have shared this important message here.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

pia

7 Years Ago

Im glad you liked itt
Thanks !!!
Beautifully written. Valuable to me to hear a faraway voice on the value and danger of thought. Thanks.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

pia

7 Years Ago

thank you so much !!!
I agree with your words...
Ideas must have the ability to help us in a better way...
I liked it..:)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

pia

7 Years Ago

Thankss !!
I wont coment on the matter you chose to write about but i do ask you to do more research. Although your article was to highlight the impact of ones idea you have written this with many emotions which was a mistake. This mistake leads your article towards a comon heart feuled blog post so you can either call it a mere blog post or research and follow the rules journalism to its entirity keeping your article seprate from your personal views.

There are many problem with this country that i love and this city that i am obssesed with and one of these problems is the news providing organisations, they too put seeds in our minds, they play with emotions of students and other curious minds. If you had a 10000 followers and you were to post the above article what do you think will happen? 500 would ignore 4000 would stand and some will get angry and some will protest some will share this forward ultimately you will have a mob no matter its size this would be ready to do more harm than you can imagine. We pakistanis listen more to our hearts than our brilliang minds. I beg you to do more research when writing such articles.

Sorry if i mannaged to offend you. This was not to discourage you from speaking your mind freely but to point out there other ways. Fiction.

Posted 7 Years Ago


G.C.... aka Gene

7 Years Ago

It offended me. Lit my fire. I clearly can see she did a fine job. Perhaps you should focus on your .. read more
G.C.... aka Gene

7 Years Ago

You are gorgeous darling Lots of hugs for you and your art.
pia

7 Years Ago

AJAHAHHAHAHAHA thank you for your support gene but im totally ok with criticisms hes right in some s.. read more
Great piece of writing and amazing food for thought. Good work!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Good luck, I know you will find the feed back you are looking for. Just remember sometimes reviews are slow and far between. So first and foremost write to please yourself, and hopefully you will find a following along the way. :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Know That I Too
We are never alone (a poem for mental health month)
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

Stats

1696 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 25, 2017
Last Updated on September 10, 2017

Author

pia
pia

Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan



Writing
chapter 1 chapter 1

A Chapter by pia


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by pia



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Sedge Sedge

A Poem by Olivier Dubois