Chapter 1: Somebody New

Chapter 1: Somebody New

A Chapter by May Carson
"

Sora White is a 16-year-old girl with an affinity for earth and water. She doesn't know how she got them or why she is the way she is. However, she then meets a new mysterious boy who seems to more about her then herself.

"

It was dark. I couldn’t see anything not even the hands in front of my face. Where am I and how did I get here?

             “You must come with me, it is your destiny.” What? Who the hell is that?

            “Follow the sound of my voice.” Uh, no thanks. I don’t trust anyone I can’t see. I began to walk and the opposite way from the sound of the voice.

            “You are going the wrong way, Come!”

“No!” I screamed running away from the voice. Suddenly I felt like I had to run. Far away. I couldn’t let it catch me.

“Do not fight this for surely you will loose.”

“NO!” I screamed at the top of my lungs.

I woke up in with a sheen of cold sweat. Another dream. Or maybe I should say nightmare. Lately I’ve been having trouble sleeping because of these dreams. I felt like something was coming. Call it a premonition.

I got dressed and went to school to continue on with my daily routine. I was sitting in my math class bored beyond my limitations as usual. My teacher, Ms. Pedly, is really nice but has a voice that’s monotonous. It makes me want to fall asleep right on the spot. I was trying to learn about imaginary numbers when a new boy came into the class along with my principle. He was quite good-looking with his messy brown hair and pretty blue eyes. He was tall, tan, and had a great smile. I noticed that he was suddenly staring at me intently. That was normal though. Most people stared at me when they saw me for the first time. People tend to shy away from me because they think I’m strange. I was born with red eyes for some unknown reason and people usually get really scared when I tell them it’s not contacts. Eventually they got used to it but I’ve never had any friends because they think I’m some kind of a vampire or demon. However, the way this new kid stared at me was different. Almost as though he was looking for me and making sure that I was the person he was looking for. After awhile though, I decided to ignore his scrutinizing and put my head down to see if I could get more sleep. I was very tired from the nightmares that I was getting every night. Suddenly I heard a voice right next to me.

     “Hello, my name is Jeremy Midgen.” A voice said seriously. I looked up to see that it was the new kid.

     Hey, I’m Sora White. It’s nice to meet you.” I said through a yawn.

     The teacher started her lesson again and I turned my attention to the blackboard once more. He, however, kept his attention on me. I wondered why he kept staring at me. I’ve never had someone stare at me for so long. Usually people turned away so they wouldn’t be rude. I turned to him to tell him to stop staring at me but his expression was so shocking, it left me speechless. He glared at me coldly and with hatred like I was his enemy from birth and was raised to loathe me. His stare reminded me of someone who looked at me like that all the time. It started to bring tears to my eyes. I looked away quickly. I always found it humiliating to have people see me cry. I was suddenly angry. What have I done to make him look at me like that? I was very polite to him. He had no reason to look at me like that. I decided to ignore him. If he was going to unpleasant then there was no reason for me to be nice to him or to even acknowledge him. For the first time in school I actually focused on what my math teacher was talking about.

            Of course with my luck he ended up being in all of my classes which was really frustrating. I just wanted to avoid him for the rest of my life. He stared at me the same way in every class and it just made me so angry. Is it because of my eyes? It’s not fair. He doesn’t even know me and he hates me already. I felt like I wanted to blow something up but I had to control myself. I couldn’t let him get the best of me.

            I spent the next three months with the same kind of relationship. I hated him and he hated me. He made fun of me a lot which suddenly gave other kids the right to humiliate me. I suffered so much during those months. I didn’t even know what he had against me. He was one of the most popular boys in school which made anything he did seem right. I loathed him.

            When school finally ended today I went to my special place that no one had ever discovered fortunately. I hadn’t been here for awhile but I felt the need to come. I felt this was the only place I could escape Jeremy. It was in the park on a very high rock that had a fantastic view. The sun was setting and the sky was a nice color of light lavender with magenta pink. You could see the tops of the buildings as well as the trees which had started to turn orange, yellow, red, and brown. No one dared to come up because they all thought it was haunted. The rumor was that a girl died on this rock because she was accidentally pushed off the edge as part of a practical joke. People think her ghost haunts this specific rock to this day. I however come up here to escape my problems.

 I pulled a strand of water from the air and circled it around my hand. I was a very unique person. I was born with an affinity for water and earth. It was my own special secret that I alone could enjoy. I always wondered why I was the only person to have these powers. Maybe it was destiny. People just marked me as weird and didn’t want anything to do with me. I must have been on that rock for hours because it was soon very dark.

            I hadn’t noticed how late it had gotten and quickly ran to my apartment.

            ‘I’m sure going to get it this time. It must me like 10:00 p.m.’ I thought to myself. I quickly ran up three flights of stairs and opened the door. My father was standing looking furious in the living room. I tried to quickly walk past him but he abruptly pulled me back and knocked me down.

            “Where were you?” He shouted at me.

            “At the park. I’m really sorry; it’s just that I didn’t notice the time. I’m really sorry.” I apologized again.

            “Yeah right. I bet you were at a party or something.” he said. The look that he was giving me now brought the expression “if looks could kill”. Well if that were true I would have already been dead.

            “Listen Dad, I wasn’t at a party. I am telling you the truth. I would never-” He slapped me across my face. I could already feel the swelling.

            “You were always a terrible liar.” He said coldly and walked away. I quickly ran into my room and closed the door. I sat in front of my mirror to check the damage.

            ‘Not bad.’ I thought. There was only a red mark on my face and the pain would probably go away in a couple of hours. It could have been worst. I rolled up my sleeve to look at the scar on my right arm that I got when my father was out of control. My father and I have never really had a good relationship. Today was basically a typical day in my life. I get home, get yelled at, maybe get hit and then moved on with my life. I know that he hates me. He has always hated me since the day I was born. He loathes me because he thinks I was the reason my mother died during child birth. He’s always saying “If you weren’t born she would still be alive.” I’m truly sorry that he feels that way but I can’t really change what has already happened. I hope that one day he’ll forgive me though. I try everyday to make him proud of me. I’m in all honors classes and have the highest average in the school. I’ve won tons of medals and trophies for him but that still doesn’t change his mind about the way he feels about me. I won’t ever stop trying though.

            The next morning, I was really starting to feel the pain in my face. I looked in the mirror and found that my whole left cheek was swollen. It looks like it was worst than what I thought. I quickly took a shower and combed my bronze colored shoulder-length hair. I let it flow so that it could cover a part of my face. It definitely made my swollen cheek less noticeable. I grabbed a granola bar and took a bite as I got out of my apartment.

            Hmm…today I have gym first period. I was on my way to put away my books when I noticed a crowd of girls around my locker. As I walked closer I noticed that they weren’t around my locker but the one next to it.

            “Hey freak.” Jeremy said mockingly making all the girls around him laugh at me. I looked up at him with a hurt face which made his smug expression change for a split second. He was so mean and I was so sick of him mocking me. Didn’t he have something better to do? I quickly grabbed my books and went to gym as fast as my legs would take me. I was suddenly tired of how many times he insulted me. All the insults were just piling up in me and I suddenly couldn’t take any more. I knew that at any second I might just burst out crying. What did I ever do to make him dislike me so much?

            “Sora?” asked Jeremy.

I gasped. Why did he come here? The bell for first period wasn’t even close to ringing. I looked up to see him smiling at me. It made me so angry.

            “What? You weren’t finished making fun of me back there? Well I’m right here! Go and tell the whole world of what you think of me!” I shouted. I started to feel tears in my eyes and sank down to the ground. I always cried when I got angry which was an extremely humiliating weakness.

            “Are you crying?” he asked appalled.

            “No.” I said but my voice cracked. I looked up at him with tears in my eyes.

            “Why do you hate me so much?” I asked him. He looked at me sadly and reached out to me like he was going to give me a hug. He stopped suddenly and turned around with a serious expression.

            “I’m sorry.” He said with no feeling at all and left. I blinked. That was strange. For a moment it looked as if he actually was sorry.

            The bell finally rang for first period. I tied up my hair into a pony-tail and changed into my usual gym clothes: shorts and an oversized t-shirt. I came out of the girl’s locker room and saw a swarm of girls around Jeremy. Again. I seriously didn’t know what girls saw in him. He was such a jerk. At least to me he was. I took another look at him. Well he definitely was handsome: chocolate brown messy hair, beautiful blue eyes, and he had on a tang top that showed he had muscle but not too much like the guys on a wrestling team. I hadn’t noticed when he walked up to me.

            “So I guess you’re getting affected by my good looks too.” He smirked. I blushed.

            “Aww…you’re blushing. Isn’t that cute?” he said as his smirk grew more pronounced. This comment made me blush even harder. I snorted.

            “Shut up. You’re such a loser. Why don’t you go finish putting on your make-up in the corner?” I spat at him.   

            “You can’t insult Jeremy like that.” One of the girls from his “fan club” said.

            “I just did.” I said as I started walking towards my assigned spot on the floor. A hand grabbed me, however, before I could make my second step. It brought what felt like an electric jolt that made me gasp. The hand still didn’t let go and I saw that it was Jeremy’s. He walked closer to me so that he was inches from my face.

            “What happened to your face?” he asked intently as he put his free hand on my swollen cheek which brought another jolt. Some of the other girls began to glare at me with jealousy. I couldn’t possibly tell him the truth. I barely knew him and he sure didn’t treat me very well. I looked up at him and he looked so sincere, like he actually cared. I wanted to tell him about everything at that moment but then I remembered how he looked at me that first day: so cold and full of hatred. I removed his hand from my face.

            “Nothing.” I mumbled leaving him puzzled. He quickly recomposed his face to the one I was used to and went to his assigned spot.

            The rest of the day went by pretty fast. I was surprised when it was already time for lunch. I decided that today I wanted to eat healthy and grabbed a salad with an apple for dessert. I sat down at an empty table.

            ‘Finally, a time to relax.’ I thought. Then Jeremy sat across from me bringing his whole fan club filling up the whole table. So much for relaxation.

            “Hey freak.” He said knowing it would annoy me.

            “Will you stop calling me that and why are you sitting here?” I asked him petulant.

            “Because I have to sit here.” he said coldly. We both started to stare at each other, scowling.

            “Well it’s not like I’m making you sit here. If you want to go then you can.” I said finally. He glared at me unmoving.

            “Just leave; you’re a jerk who really just needs to get a life.” I said icily. He looked at me furiously.

            “At least I don’t have a bloated face and red eyes like some kind of freak! You know everyone thinks it. Nobody likes you and nobody will ever like you. I don‘t even know why you bother to try to fit in. You‘re just an outsider. So do us all a favor and stay outside.” He shouted at me. Everyone had stopped what they were doing and all heard him. I looked at everyone around the room and one by one they began laughing at me. What was wrong with these people? What was wrong with him? How could they all be so cruel?

            I quickly threw out my uneaten lunch and ran outside. I usually ran when I felt upset so I kept running and didn’t stop. I started to cry but I didn’t stop running. I ran all over town nonstop for hours. I could feel my legs hurting and I soon started to feel dizzy but I didn’t want to stop. I wanted to run until the pain went away. My vision started to get blurry and I couldn’t see where I was going. I suddenly ran into something hard and felt the pain grow all over my body.

            “I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to-” I stopped immediately when I saw that it was Jeremy. The blood drained from face. I started feeling sick and tried to walk away. It was more like wobbling. I felt him grab my hand. Why couldn’t he just leave me alone?

                “Jeremy please, just leave me alone. Please, I can’t take this anymore.” I begged him with tears. I still wasn’t over the last incident. I tried to break free but he wouldn’t let go. He looked at me guiltily.

            “You look sick and like you’re about to pass out any second. Here, drink this.” he said as he handed me his water bottle and sat me down on the grass. I was too thirsty to think about why he was being nice so I drank it all in one gulp.

            “I’ll go get you some more. Just try to relax.” He told me as he went to buy some water from a snack stand nearby. I was so confused by his sudden hospitality but was in too much pain and too lightheaded to think much of it.

            He came back with another filled water bottle. I drank until I was hydrated again. I was still kind of dizzy but at least I wasn’t thirsty. I stood up to throw the bottle away but I was unsteady and Jeremy stopped me. He sat me on the grass again.

            “You should try to lay down for a bit.” He suggested but instead of lying down, I leaned into him. My vision became even more blurry and everything soon blacked out.

            When I awoke I was on a bench with my head on Jeremy’s lap. I stood up quickly which made me dizzy and saw the floor coming up too close to my face. Jeremy caught me and put me on the bench. I looked at him puzzled.

            “What happened?” I asked him. He smiled at me.

            “Well you passed out about 20 minutes ago.” he told me.

            “Oh.” Was all I could say as the memories from this afternoon began to flood into my head. I remembered how he upset me in the lunchroom and stood up.

            “Where are you going?” he asked looking really concerned.

            “Listen Jeremy, I really don’t feel like giving you more stories to humiliate me with, so I going home.” I told him frankly and started to walk off. He grabbed my hand again.

            “Sora look, I’m really sorry about today and for everything I’ve put you through for the last couple of months. I’ve been looking all over for you. I didn’t see you after lunch. Were you running this whole time?” he questioned me concerned. I nodded weakly.

            “Well I was really out of line today. Can you please forgive me? Not only for today but for how I’ve been acting since the first day of school? I’m sorry for causing you so much pain and suffering. It was wrong of me.” He asked me looking really sincere. It was almost impossible to say no. Well it looked like he really meant it. I guess I could give him a chance.

            “Yea I suppose. I don’t like to hold grudges. But why are you being so nice to me?” I asked a little confused by his sudden kindness.

            “Honestly, I don’t know. I guess it was just how much I hurt you today. Whenever I insulted you, you never really did anything so I thought it didn’t really bother you and it was sort of my way to vent. I didn’t realize how much it was really hurting you. I didn’t mean anything I said back then. I kind of exploded and it was hard for me to see you like that. Plus it makes my job a lot harder if you hate me too. I’m done with being mean to you. It’s not going to get us anywhere and it is going to make our lives more difficult. I decided that maybe we could be nice to each other and make it easier on both of us.” He laughed.

            “Oh.” I said still feeling puzzled at his sudden change.

            “What do you say, think we can start over as friends?” he asked me seriously.

            “I don’t know…Why were you so mean to me before?” I asked him. He sighed.

            “It’s complicated.”

            “I’m sure I can keep up.” I pressed.

            “Let’s just say you’re the reason for many of the things that happened in my life.” He said seriously.

“How is that even possible? I barely know you.” I said confused.

“Believe me, it’s possible. Everything will make sense eventually. For now, why don’t you just take things day by day?” he asked. I was so confused. He laughed again at how puzzled I was.

            “What do you say…friends?” he asked intently.

            “Do you promise not to make fun of me anymore?” I asked seriously. I wanted so badly to be friends with him. Ironic, I know, but he would be the first friend I ever had.

            “I absolutely promise that I won’t make fun of you.” He said sincerely. I smiled at him and he smiled back.

            “Come on. Let’s go get some food in you. I don’t want you to pass out on me again.” He said as he grabbed me and brought me to a pizzeria.



© 2009 May Carson


Author's Note

May Carson
I'm just writing this for fun, so there will probably be a lot of errors. Sorry. Let me know what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really like this story and for a new writer here you're really good.
By the way, I love this story, but I wouldn't want my kids to read it (not that I have any).

Posted 14 Years Ago


Oh please, dont end here... PLEASE!! there is another page, right? *scrolls down and up* NOOOOOOOO! please, please, please write more! I have to read this!

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is awesome. Really good. You should write more! I would love to read it! =)

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

154 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 2, 2009