Chapter 2: Future?

Chapter 2: Future?

A Chapter by May Carson
"

This is where Sora kind of finds out more about Jeremey and more about what's going on.

"

            “I’ll see you tomorrow then.” said Jeremy as he left leaving me off at my apartment. As unbelievable as it may have seemed 5 hours ago, I actually had fun with Jeremy tonight. All we did was eat pizza and talk but it was nice to actually have someone to talk to. Usually people would avoid me and I never really had friends. I opened my apartment door and saw my father glaring at me. What was it going to be this time?

            “Who was that I saw outside?” he asked me slurring some of the syllables. He was drunk. As usual.

            “Just a friend.” I told him. He knocked me down to the floor.

            “I’m so sick of you lying to me! We both know you don’t have friends. Who would ever want to be friends with you? Just look at you!” he suddenly yelled at me.

            “Dad, I never lie to you. He’s new in this town and we just finished eating pizza. Besides, who else could it have been?” I tried to reason with him calmly. He threw a glass bottle in my direction which cut me slightly.

            “I hate you! You don’t deserve to be alive. You’re lying to me. That’s all you ever do. It’s your fault that your mother is dead. Now, clean this mess up.” he said and left the apartment. I looked around for a broom but naturally, there wasn’t one. I guess I’m going to have to pick this up by hand. I knew better than to use not having a broom for an excuse. I started to pick up the pieces of broken glass carefully but couldn’t fully avoid cutting my hands. I’ve always wondered that if maybe my father would still be the same if he wasn’t so drunk all the time.

After I was finished I started to heal myself with water from the bathroom sink. I moved some of the running water from the sink and wrapped it around my hand using my mind. The water started to glow a little, giving off a slight white light. I wasn’t very good at it and I couldn’t do much but I had to do what I could. All I could manage was to heal most of the cuts only leaving a couple of scars on each hand. I was really tired from the healing. It was a very exhausting process. It’s times like these though, that really make me appreciate having the special powers that I have.

            The next day I was in a dilemma with what to wear. I had to wear something that would cover up my scars so that no questions would be asked. I decided to wear a gray turtleneck with long black pants and gloves. The weather had worked out for me for today was a nice chilly day in the middle of November.

            When I got to school I walked up to my first period class, physics. I sat down in my assigned seat which was right next to Jeremy’s.

            “Why are you wearing gloves? You’re not outside anymore.” He asked curiously.

            “Umm… actually I’m cold.” I lied trying to sound convincing. He looked like he wasn’t buying it.

            “Sora, are you hiding something from me?” he asked intently.

            “No.” I said surprised by his seriousness. He still looked at me unconvinced. He didn’t get a chance to say anything else, however, because the teacher began his lesson.

            “Miss White, I don’t permit students to wear gloves in my class.” declared Mr. Roberts.

            “Sir, please, just this once. My hands are really cold.” I begged. He looked at me skeptically.

            “Take them off or I’ll give you detention.” He said sternly.

            “Fine.” I mumbled as I glared at him. Out of all of the teachers I had, I hated him the most. He was always mean for no apparent reason. I took off my gloves carefully and hid my hands under my desk. Jeremy looked at me questionly. I just smiled at him.

            After class he blocked me off in the hallway.

            “What? I’m trying to get to class.” I told him annoyed. He didn’t say anything. He quickly took out my hand from my pocket to examine it. I tried to pull away put his strength was much more powerful than mine. He traced over the scars with his thumb.

            “What happened?” he asked me.

            “Nothing.” I replied still trying to break my hand free from his grip.

            “Sora, you can tell me. I promise I won’t tell anyone.” he said nicely. At this I stopped struggling against him.

            “I’m sorry but… I can’t.” I said sadly.

            “Why? I thought we were friends now.” he asked crestfallen.

            “I’m sorry, I just can’t.” I told him again. He sighed in frustration.

            “Well I guess it’s ok. If you want to tell me later I’ll be here to listen.” He said. The bell rang and we were late to our next class. We were able to take our seats before the teacher noticed. The rest of school went by in a blur. If you asked me to tell you just one thing that I learned today, I wouldn’t be able to answer. I was on my way to the library when I heard someone calling out my name. It was Jeremy.

            “Hey Jeremy, what’s up?” I asked him.

            “Well, there’s something really important that I have to talk to you about. In fact it’s the only reason why I’m here. Can we just go somewhere more private?” he asked seriously. I was surprised. What could he possibly want to talk to me about that is that important?

            “Well, sure I guess.” I told him cautiously. This better not be some kind of a trick. He smiled at me and took my hand. He led me to the lake in the park and we sat down on a bench. He looked really uncomfortable.

            “Well, I’m not sure how to start this but, I know what you are.” He told me carefully.

            “Excuse me? What do you mean by ‘I know what you are’? I asked extremely puzzled.  He sighed in exasperation.

            “I know that you have special powers. I know you have an affinity for earth and water.” He said. The blood drained from my face. I have never told anyone that. Never. How could he possibly know? I stood up and took a step back.

            “How do you know about me? What are you?” I asked afraid and trembling. He took a step closer but I kept moving back.

            “Sora, it’s ok. I’m not going to hurt you and I’m not going to tell anyone about this. You don’t have to be afraid of me.” He said calmly.

            “But how do you know about me?” I nearly shouted. He sighed again and sat down.

            “I know this sounds crazy…but I’m from the future. That’s how I know about you. In my time the world is at crises and-” I interrupted him.

            “What? From the future? That’s impossible. You’re crazy!” I told him nervously.

            “Crazy enough to know you’re special?” he said as he raised one eyebrow.

            “I don’t know how you found that out but you’re-” This time he interrupted me.

            “Just here me out first. Deal?” he asked impatiently. I turned around. There was no way I was going to listen to this lunatic. He suddenly grabbed me abruptly putting his arms around my waist stopping me in my tracks.

            “We can do this the hard way if you want.” He said ominously. I gulped more afraid of him than I ever was in my life. I sat down on the bench next to him. I looked at him terrified. He then looked sincerely into my eyes which made me suddenly forget that I was scared of him. He closed his eyes breaking the eye contact and began to tell his story.

            “Well first of all, as I was saying before, I’m from the future. Exactly 100 years from now our world is in terrible trouble. As the prophecy said, in the year 2110, outsiders will come with the purpose of destroying our planet. You and the others that are part of a clan called Gia Vigiles, or Gia for short, are supposed to use your powers of water and earth to defeat the outsiders who use powers of fire and air. Unfortunately, in the future, the Gia clan were all scattered and all but you were captured. You and your clan didn’t master your powers in your past lives very well and that led to your easy defeat. The prophecy says that even though times are peaceful the Gia clan is supposed to continue their training because there will be a time when evil comes again. You are the clan’s leader and the reason that I have come to this time period was to train you so that you would be ready. There is a war going on in which we must win in order to keep our planet.” He finished. I stared at him with my mouth hanging open.

            “You don’t believe me, do you?” he asked skeptically. I nodded my head no.

            “Well that’s why I’ve come with proof.” He said as he held out a small device the size of a computer chip. I looked at him unbelieving. He looked around to make sure there was no one in sight. Finally, he placed the chip onto the floor. What appeared to be a hologram came out of it. I saw what looked like a city in flames. It looked so real that if I didn’t see the park around us I would’ve probably thought it was real. It was technology that was more than I could’ve ever imagined. In the hologram everything seemed to be destroyed and in ruins with humans walking in chains in the background. They looked like they were being taken to a special spaceship. Everything was in ruins. Suddenly, what appeared to be an older version of myself came onto the screen. She didn’t have my red eyes though.

            “I don’t have much time to explain but I’m a reincarnation of you and you have to believe everything Jeremy tells you.” I heard what seemed to be an explosion and suddenly more fire came into the background.

“You are the leader and it is pertinent that you fully learn the extent of your powers. Jeremy has something for you and at the moment you probably won’t know what to do with it. The time will come when you do though. Don’t be afraid. I know you will be able to do this.” said the image in the hologram before it blanked out. I stared wide-eyed at Jeremy.

            “Now do you believe me?” he asked. I didn’t move. Could this even be possible? That I’m a leader of a clan who has to save the world? I felt like I was going to be sick.

            “Here.”  He gave me a shiny blue stone in the shape of an oval.

            “It’s what she told me to give you.” I took it having no idea what to do with it. It felt very smooth against my skin and there was an aura to it that almost mesmerized me. I blinked bringing back to reality and put the stone into my pocket for now. I was so lost.

            “Sora, are you ok?” he asked me worriedly. I probably looked as bad as I felt.

            “I don’t believe you. I can’t. I won’t.” I said horrified.

            “Sora, you have to believe me. You’re the only reason why I’m in your life. Think about it. Do I really seem like the type of person to go to some random person and make this entire up? What would be the point? If I didn’t have to be here I wouldn’t be here.” he told me angrily. I looked at him and his expression confirmed that what he was saying was true. I was so sad. I didn’t want this.

            “Why me?” I whispered to him. I looked at him and he could see how afraid I was. He wrapped his arms around me bringing me close to him to comfort me. He sighed.

            “I don’t really know why but you have red eyes which proves that you‘re the leader of the clan.”           

“That’s what it really means?” I asked shocked. He nodded.

“I know it’s only brought you misery but you should be proud. There was a time where people would’ve have respected you for it.” I decided to switch the topic.

            “I really don’t get any of this but one thing that’s really bothering me is how am I going to live to past 100 and still look that young?” I asked with true confusion. He laughed softly.

            “That woman from the hologram isn’t really you. She said she’s a reincarnation of you. Just like you are probably a reincarnation of someone else.” he replied.

“However, you are one of the destined children they speak of in the scriptures. That is why I have come to get specifically you. Even though that woman is a reincarnation of you she does not have the immense powers that you contain. Something happened during your lifetime that ended your life when it wasn’t supposed to. That’s why that woman didn’t have the gift of leadership that you have. Once you die in a way that wasn’t supposed to happened, the prophecy is pretty much dead. At least the leadership passed on through reincarnation is.”

“That’s pretty vague though. Do you know what was going to happen to me? How I…died?” I asked.

“No, they didn’t really tell me much about you.” He said without emotion.

“You said children. Are there more people like me?” I asked.

“Well not many from this time period. See, there were a group of us that were assigned to train the leaders from past lives. I was assigned to this time to train you.” He replied. I didn’t say anything else. This was too much for me. He sensed that.

            “I know this is a lot to take in but it’s a matter of fact. We have to start your training tomorrow. I already wasted enough time here.” he said.

            “I’m not doing this. I refuse. I don’t want to be part of this Gigaan clan or whatever you call it! I’m only sixteen years old! This is too much for me, there’s nothing I can do! Just find someone else to do it!” I shouted.

            “Sora, you are the only one who can do this. Do you really want to be the responsible for thousands of deaths and even more taken as prisoners?” He questioned me knowing he had beaten me. At this realization I began to cry.

            “Everything’s going to be fine. Just worry about getting stronger.” he tried to reassure me soothingly as he pulled me closer besides him. How could I just worry about that? The fate of the future depends all on me. This is just too much for me to handle. For once in my life I wish I didn’t have any powers.

           



© 2009 May Carson


Author's Note

May Carson
I think this is kinda of mature, but not to the point where teens can't read it. I would say it wouldn't be for young teens....like 13...Anyway, let me know what you think of it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hmm... Well, I like the plot, and the dialogue is fine. Other then the occasional typo here and there it makes for an exceptional read.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

92 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 8, 2009