Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Chapter 6 Summer

Chapter 6 Summer

A Chapter by pinkstarpilot

Chapter 6
Wasted




    “So what was up with you and my cousin this afternoon?” Holly asks as I struggle to paint her nails without getting any on her skin. She bites her nails down to nubs.
    “What do you mean?” I ask, concentrating.
    “In the pool.” She replies, like she can’t believe that I don’t immediately understand what she’d talking about, then clarifies further. “You guys looked kind of cozy.”
    I look at her as if that’s the most ridiculous thing in the world, when really, I’m glad that it’s not all in my head. “Nothing’s going on.” I say.
    “Mmhm.” Holly replies, not buying it.
    At that exact moment, my phone begins vibrating on the bed next to me. It’s my mom. I’ve never been so glad to hear from her in my life. She’s calling to see what time I’ll be home since it‘s already eight-thirty. After the pool, we’d gone y my house so that I could pick up pajama’s and a change of clothes, knowing what’s in store for tonight. I‘d just forgotten to call my mother to ask her. So I ask. She grumbles for a bit, saying how much stuff I have left to do before we head to the beach house but inevitably gives in and says yes.
    Aunt Kelly passes by the room wearing an extra-large shirt that looks like a dress on her. “Good night, girls.” She says and like everything, it sounds pointed.
    “Night, Aunty Kelly.” I say.
    “Now, Holly, I don’t want you two staying up too late.” She says, giving her daughter an undeserved smile. Well, it would it undeserved if I didn’t know what we were doing later. But since I do know, it’s deserved.
    “Yes, Mom.” Holly says, rolling her eyes.
    We wait a full half an hour after Aunty Kelly closes her bedroom door before Holly tip-toes down the hall to check that she’s actually sleeping. She is.
    I change from my shorts to pajama pants.
    We stop by Jake’s room to get him before heading downstairs. On the back porch, Maggie, Holly’s 30-something-year-old cousin and Jake’s Mom is sitting with her boyfriend, Ryan on the picnic table.
    “Holly.” Maggie greets me. “Will you be taking part in tonight’s drinking festivities?”
    “No school tomorrow.” I say with a grin. “Which means I could care less about being hungover. So yes.”
    “Then I am going to bed.” She says getting up. She kisses Ryan and then heads upstairs, shooting her son a meaningful look, which translates to, don’t get wasted.
    “Hey, Ryry.” I say, grinning as I take a seat on the picnic bench.
    Ryan rolls his eyes in a way that asks, what the hell have I gotten myself into?
    There isn’t much of a selection tonight. Just tequila, Malibu run and vodka, along with orange juice and Coke. More than we usually have though. Most of the time it’s just the rum and Coke and that’s enough to mess us up if we have enough. But since tonight is a celebration, we do shots also.
    My face is burning and I know that it’s red. Jake is only buzzing. Ryan is the only one that’s completely sober. Holly is already totally wasted and texting her boyfriend who lives three states away because she tends to miss him more when she’s drunk. And with that, the subject of romance comes up and Ryan just has to say that Jake and I should go out.
    “Um, no.” I say decisively.
    “Why not?” Ryan pushes. “You guys would make a cute couple.”
    “What the hell gives you that idea?” I ask with a laugh.
    “Jake’s that good-looking guy and you’re that girl.” He says. “You know, cute, shy, good girl.”
    That nearly causes Holly to spit out a mouth full of rum and coke. “I’m sorry, who are we talking about?” She laughs.
    The rest of the night goes on and I can only remember a few patches. Ryan, walking us around the block, trying to get Holly and me to sober up. She comes down, but I stay pretty wasted. That’s how it’s always been. Holly’s the one who gets drunk fast, but then sobers up quickly. I, however, take forever to feel anything but I stay drunk for the rest of the night.
    I remember, falling behind, having Jake’s arm around my waist to make sure I don’t just run off like Holly and I had done once. Turning a corner, I see Holly on her hands and knees, puking her guts out in someone’s front yard. The next thing I remember is lying in bed, next to a passed out Holly while Jake is throwing a blanket over me.



© 2010 pinkstarpilot


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

194 Views
Added on April 15, 2010
Last Updated on April 15, 2010


Author

pinkstarpilot
pinkstarpilot

Pearl City, HI



About
i'm a 15 year old living in hawaii. i've been writing since i was 12 but i'm not sure if i've improved much. most of my writing says something about me that almost nobody knows, but you'd probably hav.. more..

Writing