Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Shawna

CHAPTER 2:
The school was small; even smaller than Eurydice's old one. There were people milling around outside, eating their lunches. Eurydice could feel their eyes on her as she sat at an empty picnic table. All day long, no one had talked to her. They had all just stared, as if Eurydice had some type of incurable disease. So, now she was alone. 
Surrounded by incompetent idiots. Eurydice thought, pushing her full tray away.

Eurydice had been in Selma for two days. She and her parents had arrived late Saturday night. Sunday was spent unpacking. Today was Monday. It was spent being the awkward new kid. Eurydice hated this place already. She hated the smallness�"the feeling of suffocating because everyone was so crammed together. She hated the school and it's maze-like structure. The thing Eurydice hated most were them. The people�"teachers and students alike�"staring at her.

The only good thing about this place is the clear sky. At least I can see the stars. she thought.

Just then, a handsome stranger sat down across from Eurydice. No, handsome was not a good enough word to describe the beauty in front of her. Eurydice stared into the violet eyes of the boy�"no, the man�"across from her. Because Eurydice could tell that, though he looked young, he was not a boy.

This...man...had dark, wavy hair that was wild, yet sexy. His face was defined, as was his body under his tight black shirt. Though he was pale, he seemed full of life and made Eurydice feel dull in comparison. He was wearing a ring on his right middle finger. Moonstone, Eurydice noticed.

"So, you're the new kid." It wasn't a question, but an observation. He was watching Eurydice, studying ever detail of her. "The name's Felix. Felix Emont." Felix held his hand out for Eurydice to shake. She didn't move.

"Nice to meet you," Eurydice said cautiously. Surely this was a trick, some sort of joke. She had never seen anyone, male or female, this beautiful. Honestly, Eurydice was in awe of this creature. But she didn't trust him as far as she could throw him. 
Eurydice glanced around nervously, searching for some kind of sign that Felix was making fun of her. She found none.

Felix put his hand down and smirked. "What's your name, beautiful?" he asked, tucking some hair behind Eurydice's ear. The gesture felt personal, in turn, making Eurydice uncomfortable.

Eurydice noticeably moved her head away from Felix's still-lingering hand. "Eurydice," she answered sternly.

Felix frowned, then recovered. "Who are you named after, angel?"

"My grandma. She was named Eurydice, just like her own grandmother."

"Yes, but do you know where the name Eurydice comes from?" Felix had a glint in his eye, like he appreciated the opportunity to show Eurydice up. "Greek mythology, love. Orpheus, the greatest musician of that time, traveled to Hades to bring her back, after her untimely death. Hades gave him a chance, promising him that if he walked all the way back to the human world without looking back, Eurydice would exit with him. Only, Orpheus got uncertain and eventually, right before exiting Hades, glanced back to make sure Eurydice was behind him." Felix's expression darkened, his eyes far away as if he were remembering something unpleasant. "He saw her be dragged back down to Hell."

"How unfortunate," Eurydice said. "Now, if you'll excuse me.." Eurydice stood, taking her tray with her. Felix didn't follow, just sat at the picnic table, in a trance. Eurydice rolled her eyes and headed for her next class.


Eurydice grabbed her books and started out of the gymnasium. Her next and last class was History. Luckily for her, it was her favorite subject. Unluckily for her, Eurydice found, Felix was in this class as well. It wasn't exactly that she didn't like Felix; he had not done anything to her. He was just so...smooth. He was so sure of himself and, for some reason, that was annoying.

Eurydice walked slowly into the classroom, searching for somewhere to sit. Somewhere that would not call attention to her and would not put her close to Felix. But the longer Eurydice stood there, the more seats were being filled. Eurydice glanced over to where Felix was sitting and stared at the empty seat beside him. He was the only person who had even talked to her. The closest thing I have to a friend. Eurydice thought as she made her way to sit beside Felix.

Felix looked up at Eurydice with a quick flash of a smile. Her heart fluttered at the brilliance of it, but she tried to pay that no mind. The teacher, Mr. Hastings, stood at the front of the room, calling roll. But Eurydice could feel Felix's eyes on her, proving he was pretty good at making her feel uncomfortable. That's why, when Mr. Hastings called her up to tell them about herself, just as all the other teachers that day had, Eurydice was actually relieved.

"My name is Eurydice Anders. I just moved here from Cleveland, Ohio," Eurydice said for the fourth time that day.

"Why don't you tell us a few more things?" Mr. Hastings suggested. "Like, what type of stone is in that ring you're wearing?"

Eurydice cocked an eyebrow, but answered. "It's a sunstone," she stated simply.

"Sunstone..." Mr. Hastings said distractedly. Eurydice saw Felix watching Mr. Hastings inquiringly.

"Can I sit down now?" Eurydice asked.

"Yes, yes." Mr. Hastings gave the class book work and left to go to the library.

Eurydice sat back down and opened her history book.

"You wouldn't mind sharing, would you, sweet?" Felix asked, flashing that mesmerizing grin of his for a split second. "I seem to have misplaced mine."

"What I do mind is you calling me all these pet names," Eurydice replied. She hadn't meant to sound vehement, and immediately felt bad after she did.

But Felix only smirked. "So, she does have a backbone." Felix seemed really entertained.

Eurydice rolled her eyes and slid her book to the middle of the table they were sharing. "Here."

"That is a lovely ring," Felix said a few seconds later. "Mind if I get a closer look?" Felix didn't wait for Eurydice's answer. He took her hand in his as if he were going to kiss the ring, but only examined it.

Eurydice pulled her hand away and started on her work, ignoring Felix the rest of the class period.


The walk home was going to be a long and tiring one. Of course, walking was the better option, compared to riding the bus. Eurydice sighed. She was seventeen and still didn't have a car. Her license was doing her no good, getting dusty in her wallet from lack of use.
Though Eurydice's new house was only about a mile from the high school, she was already tired. Eurydice had never had to try to stay skinny; she just was. She never worked out and that was starting to catch up to her, she realized.

At least the nature is nice enough. Eurydice thought, gazing up at the trees and the clouds. Back home was just full of noisy cars and people yelling. The air had been filled with cigarette smoke and exhaust. Here, the air was clean and Eurydice breathed it in deeply, savoring it. The trees were bright green; it was Springtime. The birds were chirping their songs and the wind was blowing slightly.

Finally, Eurydice made it home. Home. It didn't sound right. This place did not seem like home. Suddenly, Eurydice found herself missing Cleveland more than ever. She missed her best friend, Ellie. Hell, she even missed the bad air and the noisiness of it. This is home now, she thought as she trudged up the stairs to her new room.

The house was big enough, with three rooms and two bathrooms. The extra room was unnecessary, so she wasn't sure what her parents had been thinking when they paid extra for a bigger house. It was just the three of them, after all. The paint was a fresh white, the shutters a light green. The porch was big and the floors were bamboo. The house was so foreign, but so inviting. So, why didn't Eurydice feel welcome?

Eurydice dropped her bookbag on the floor and looked around at her room. There was a closet right beside the door and her bed was against the far wall. She had her computer desk between the bed and the closet, with her laptop resting there. Across from that, on the other wall, was her dresser. That was it. That was all she had brought with her from Cleveland. That was all she had.

Eurydice sighed and sat down at her computer. Her parents were still not home. Her mother was probably out job-hunting, while her father enjoyed his new promotion. 
They wouldn't be home until later, so Eurydice was in no hurry to start her homework. Instead, she got online and checked her email. Sure enough, there was an email from Ellie. She wanted to hear all about the new school, the kids there, the teachers and if Eurydice had met any cute boys. That was just like Ellie.

She typed Ellie back quickly: the new school was terrible, just like she had promised it would be; the kids there were even worse; the teachers didn't give a lick about anything. Yes, she�"

Eurydice stopped. Should she tell Ellie about Felix? She felt she was obligated to answer Ellie truthfully, but something was giving her pause. Felix was cute; he was gorgeous. Yes, Eurydice did not want to tell Ellie about him. There was some part of her that was telling her Felix was dangerous. Some part of her that was telling her Felix couldn't be trusted. And, even still, some part of her that was attracted to him.

Leaving out Felix completely, Eurydice finished her email. She told herself it was best if Ellie didn't know about him. Besides, it was not as if Felix had come on to Eurydice. He was just annoyingly handsome and even more annoyingly mysterious. Like a puzzle, she thought. A puzzle she was going to solve.

She smiled and closed her computer.

That was when she heard the scream.


© 2014 Shawna


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Chapter 2 has held up to the promise of Chapter 1, a few little typos here and there, but still such a good job of showing Eurydice"s thoughts, reactions, and her feelings.
This has a lot of potential.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

109 Views
1 Review
Added on April 26, 2014
Last Updated on April 26, 2014
Tags: vampires, angels, witches, fantasy, romance, love


Author

Shawna
Shawna

Newland, NC



About
I'm an Atheist. I don't believe in God, but I do believe in aliens. I love music. My favorite bands are Asking Alexandria, HIM, Black Veil Brides, Sleeping With Sirens, Pierce the Veil, Picture Me.. more..

Writing
Prologue (Sort Of) Prologue (Sort Of)

A Chapter by Shawna


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Shawna


Infected Infected

A Book by Shawna