Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by Shawna

CHAPTER 4:
"You'll never guess who I saw today," Eurydice said to her parents at dinner that evening.

"Who?" her mother asked curiously.

"Kenneth Baird." Eurydice watched her parents exchange a confused look. No, not confused, troubled.

"Well, what's he doing here?" her father asked after swallowing his mouthful of salad.

"He wants to talk to me about something," Eurydice said this slowly and watched her parents' reactions. "He should be here any minute." As soon as the words were out of her mouth, the doorbell rang. "That must be him now."

When Eurydice opened the door, she didn't see Kenneth on the other side; she saw Felix.

"Is Kenneth here yet?" Felix asked when Eurydice opened the door.

"Uhmm..No, but what are you doing here?" Eurydice asked. She had definitely not been expecting to see Felix on the other side of the door. But she had to admit, she wasn't not happy to see him, his dark hair disheveled, as if he had been running. 

"We need to talk," Felix stated simply.

"What are you doing here?" Eurydice heard Kenneth's voice before she saw him. Felix turned and smiled devilishly.

"Why, I was just coming to speak with Eurydice," Felix said. "What are you doing here?"

"You know she invited me," Kenneth replied snarkily. "I am her boyfriend, after all."

"Woah, Kenneth, we're not together anymore," said Eurydice. For some reason, she wanted it to be clear to Felix that she and Kenneth were not together.

"What are you talking about?" Kenneth asked her, deflating.

"Don't you know when you've been dumped?" Felix said to Kenneth.

Eurydice stepped out onto the porch and closed the door behind her. She shot Felix a look that said You're not helping, and turned to face Kenneth. "I told you that we had to break up when I found out I was moving."

"Yeah, but I told you I would wait for you. I'm here now, so we can be together," 
Kenneth said this as if it were the only option. It wasn't. Eurydice had come to the conclusion�"now, she realized that she had come to this conclusion when she had met Felix�"that she really had no more feelings for Kenneth. It had been puppy love. Kenneth was her first boyfriend, but she was no longer in love with him, as she had been back in Ohio.

"Apparently not," Felix said.

"Would you shut up?" Eurydice said, just as Kenneth said, "I'm not afraid to hit you."

"Well," Felix scoffed dramatically. He went to sit behind Kenneth on the porch railing. This clearly made Kenneth uncomfortable, but he was not about to let Felix know that. Men and their pride. Eurydice thought, shaking her head.

"We can talk about us later," said Kenneth. Eurydice thought about telling him that there was no us, just her and Kenneth, separate. Then she figured there was no reason to keep this going. Better to just talk to Kenneth and Felix about whatever it was that seemed to be so urgent. "I really need to talk to you. Alone." Kenneth glanced back at Felix; Felix shrugged.

"I need the same thing," Felix said.

"Well, I promised Kenneth first," said Eurydice.

"Yeah, but you would much rather be alone with me." 

He was so annoyingly charming. "How about we flip a coin?" she suggested.

"I'm game," Felix said, producing a coin.

Kenneth looked as if he were about to argue, but agreed.

Felix watched as Eurydice got ready to flip the quarter he had given her. "Call it, boy," Felix said to Kenneth.

"Heads," Kenneth said.

Eurydice flipped the coin. "Tails." 

Felix smiled. "Well, looks like you'll have to come back later," Felix said to Kenneth, draping his arm casually around Eurydice's shoulders. Eurydice shivered involuntarily as she watched Kenneth's expression change from urgent to angry.

"I am not leaving," Kenneth said. "I need to talk to you now, Eurydice!"

"Woah, dude. Chill." Felix grinned. "All in good time." Eurydice shrugged and let Felix lead her back inside.

Only, Felix couldn't get inside. Damn! He had forgotten that he couldn't enter the home of an Angel. He could practically smell the feeling of victory coming from Kenneth; he had remembered.

"What's wrong, Felix?" Eurydice asked him. "I thought you wanted to talk."

"He can't go inside," Kenneth answered before Felix had the chance to speak. "Why don't you tell her why." Kenneth turned to Felix.

At that moment, Felix felt like ripping Kenneth's throat out. His fangs ached at the thought of Angel blood, any blood for that matter. Yes, he was hungry. And Kenneth was certainly making a nuisance of himself right now. Felix gave Kenneth a smile, revealing his fangs. He heard Eurydice gasp, but didn't retract them.

"I'm a Vampire," Felix told her, as if it were perfectly normal. For him, it was; he had been a Vampire for three hundred years. "And Kenneth here�"he is an Angel." 

Eurydice did not look as if she believed him in the slightest, but he had to give her credit, she didn't run away screaming bloody murder. She stood there expressionless for a moment, watching Kenneth and Felix silently.

"Is it true?" she asked Kenneth quietly.

"That's what I came to talk to you�"" Kenneth started, but Eurydice interrupted.

"Is it true?" she asked again.

"Yes, it's true."

"I see." Eurydice turned to go back inside, ignoring Kenneth's calls, asking her to talk to him.

"Look what you did," Kenneth almost yelled, turning on Felix.

"What I did? You told me to tell her why I couldn't go inside. I told her," Felix said calmly.

"I didn't say show off your freaking fangs!" Kenneth was yelling now. Luckily for him, no one was outsde this late in the evening.

"You're just made because I told her about you, aren't you?" Felix smiled. "Ahh, don't worry, young Kenneth. She'll come around." Felix lept over the railing of the porch with grace. He felt Kenneth's glares at his back, but kept on walking into the darkness.


"A Vampire?" Ellie asked doubtfully. "Are you pulling my leg?"

"No, I swear. I saw his fangs," Eurydice said again. She could hardly believe it herself. 
She wouldn't have if she had not plainly seen Felix's fangs. She was still questioning her sanity, wondering if she had imagined the whole thing.

"Holy cow. I have to come down there."

"Trust me, you should stay in Ohio." 

"Wait, so Felix is a Vampire?" Ellie asked once more.

"Right, we have established this."

"And Kenneth�"Kenneth Baird�"is an Angel?" Ellie still seemed a little doubtful, but she was starting to warm up to the idea.

"Yes."

"That's crazy. School is out in two weeks, so I am definitely coming for a visit," Ellie said.

"Fine. I actually can't wait. I need some friend time." Eurydice found that she was missing Ellie more than ever. She had just found out that the only guy she had ever dated was an Angel, and the only maybe-friend she had here, was a Vampire. The only normal person she knew right now was Ellie. God knows her parents were acting weird lately.

"I know! When I get there, I'm gonna hug you like there's no tomorrow!" Ellie was so obnoxious sometimes, but Eurydice realized that the things she found annoying before, she missed now. She could not wait to see Ellie again. "Oh, crap! I'm going to be late to school! Bye!" Ellie hung up and Eurydice laughed.

Later that day, at lunch, Eurydice was determined to steer clear of Felix and Kenneth, whom she had learned had enrolled at the school. She was in no mood to learn about Vampires or Angels; she just wanted to feel normal. Why should it be her burden to bear? Felix was a Vampire�"he could deal with that himself. Kenneth was an Angel�"he could deal with that himself. Eurydice wanted no part of either of them.
Keep telling yourself that. Eurydice sighed. She could not lie to herself, the only person she seemed to be able to trust. She was attracted to Felix. Way more than she cared to admit.

But just now, that didn't seem to matter. Eurydice still wasn't in the mood to be near Felix or Kenneth and they were both walking toward her from different directions. 
She was sitting inside today, due to rain. She was in the back of the cafeteria, near the doors that led out to the picnic tables, and she was not eating again today. I guess learning about the supernatural takes away your appetite.

Felix sat down across from her (she still had not made any friends to sit with) and Kenneth sat beside Felix, with an empty seat between the two of them. Felix was grinning, but Kenneth just appeared worried. Neither of them said anything and 
Eurydice sure wasn't going to start the conversation. What was she supposed to say? 
"So, Felix, eat anyone today?" And what did you say to an Angel? Forget the fact that Eurydice and Kenneth had dated for nearly a year, up until a week ago. Besides, he had forgotten to mention that he was a freaking Angel!

"So, Eurydice," Felix said with that same grin plastered across his face.

"What?" Eurydice said, trying not to let that dazzling smile get to her.

"Are you willing to let me explain?" Kenneth asked a little desperately.

"Not today." Eurydice stood to leave the two of them at the table. Kenneth laid his head on his arms and sighed heavily.

"I'll be by your house tonight," Felix said. He wasn't asking, either.

"No. I do not want you to come to my house. Either of you. Just leave me alone, okay?" Eurydice said sternly.

"Be expecting me around eight or nine," Felix said as if Eurydice hadn't even spoken.

Eurydice smiled. "I don't have to talk to you; you can't even come inside my house."

"True. But you will talk to me." Felix stood and moved so that he was only a few inches from her. Her heart felt as if it were going to jump out of her chest. She noted that Kenneth was watching them, eyes wide with horror. Felix traced the line of her jaw with his forefinger lightly and kissed her on the cheek. She nearly fainted.

Then Felix was gone and Eurydice was left with a brooding Kenneth.

"You shouldn't hang out with that guy, you know," Kenneth said.

"Maybe, but at least he didn't wait a year to tell me what he is," Eurydice said and walked away.


"Kenneth Baird?" Mr. Hastings asked, hanging up the phone on his desk.
Kenneth, who was sitting beside me at my usual table, stood. "Yes?" he answered.

"You are needed in the front office."

"Be right back," Kenneth said and left the room. 

Not a minute later, Felix was in his place, getting snug in his normal spot. "Hey, beautiful," he said.

"Kenneth is sitting there." Eurydice pointed to where Felix was sitting just as Kenneth walked back into the classroom. Felix waved at him, smirking.

"You're in my seat," Kenneth said from behind Eurydice.

Eurydice glanced up at Kenneth and said, "I told him that."

"I am so sorry; I didn't see you sitting here." Felix didn't move to get up.

"Are you going to move?" Kenneth asked him.

"No, so you had better find a seat." The bell rang and everyone sat down as Mr. Hastings started taking roll. Kenneth said something under his breath, but grabbed up his books and sat in the empty seat at the front of the room.

"Why do the two of you hate each other?" Eurydice asked Felix once Mr. Hastings had given them their assignments.

Felix pursed his lips, thinking. "Well, it's sort of like good vs. evil."

"Let me guess: you are the good one, because good always prevails over evil? And it seems to me that you and Kenneth are keeping score."

"Just because I'm winning, doesn't mean I'm the good one in this analogy." 

"Right, you're the Vampire and Kenneth is the Angel. How could I have forgotten?" Eurydice turned back to her blank paper. They were supposed to be writing an essay about the Cold War, but she couldn't seem to think of a single word to write; her mind was too preoccupied. "So, if you are the evil one, why should I trust you? Why should I even be near you?" Eurydice shocked Felix with the question, but he had a great poker face. He smiled.

"Maybe you shouldn't. But you want to, don't you?" Felix had leaned in closer to Eurydice without meaning to, but he didn't back away. He could hear her heartbeat quicken. He brushed a strand of auburn hair from her face.

"I�"" The final bell rang, cutting her off. That was fine. Felix would get his answer later that night.


Felix arrived at Eurydice's house a few minutes before nine o' clock. Eurydice was waiting for him on her front porch; he was watching her from about a block away. She really was beautiful. Every time Felix saw Eurydice, it was as if he were seeing her for the first time. When Felix had first met her, he had thought she looked exactly like Layla. But now, he noticed the differences: Eurydice had an air of confidence that Layla had lacked; where Layla had had olive skin, Eurydice had darker skin�"like a natural tan. And boy, did she have gumption? Felix smiled.

"Hey there, Angel," Felix said when he reached the porch. Eurydice was sitting on the porch swing; Felix sat beside her.

"Again with the pet names?" Eurydice cocked a brow.

"You had might as well get used to it." Almost as an afterthought, Felix added, 
"Sweet." He flashed a grin.

Eurydice couldn't help herself; she smiled. "Fine, but please just choose one and stick to it."

Felix tapped his chin thoughtfully. "Angel," he decided. It was perfect, if not ironic. 
"Speaking of Angels, we need to talk."

"Look, if it's about Kenneth, we are not together. I don't even know why he is still here."

Felix pushed his dark hair out of his eyes. "Well, that's good to know," he said. "but that isn't what I meant. I don't want to talk about Kenneth the Angel, I want to talk about you�"the Angel."

Felix waited to judge Eurydice's reaction, but she only asked, "What are you talking about?"

"Angel, you are an Angel. Just like Kenneth," Felix explained.

"You're joking, right?" Felix shook his head. "Great, so I'm an Angel. What about it? It doesn't seem so special."

Felix pursed his lips and took a deep breath. How was he supposed to tell Eurydice that her job as an Angel was to kill Felix and his kind? What would her reaction be? 
She seemed to like him well enough, but would that change anything? Or would she just accept her duty and stake him right there? Of course, she didn't have a stake at the moment�"that he knew of�"but he was sure Kenneth had a few lying around.

Remember what happened the last time you fell for an Angel? Felix thought grimly. He could never forget the look of searing agony on Layla's face as she was dragged down to Hell, her wings stripped along with her light. But, be that as it may, he could feel himself falling for Eurydice. And this was nothing like his relationship with Layla; this was on a whole different level.

"Well, the thing is...you are supposed to kill Vampires. That's what your kind were sent down to Earth to do," Felix said slowly.

"Why?" Eurydice asked.

"It's like I said before: good vs. evil. Only on a much larger scale."

"Like God and the Devil?"

"Exactly."

"So, you work for Satan? Doing his dirty work, here on earth?"

"I don't work for Satan. Being like�"this�"it wasn't my choice. I do bad things; I have killed people. Until you came along and sparked some fire inside me that I didn't know could be lit. That flame died out centuries ago, and yet, here I am. I can feel myself changing, Eurydice. And it's because of you."

Eurydice whispered, "We have only known each other for a week."

"I know. That's why this is so crazy to me." Felix sighed.

"Who was she?" Eurydice asked suddenly. I knew she was talking about Layla, but I did not want to open that door. Who else would you be able to tell, if not Eurydice?

"Her name was Layla. We met almost two hundred years ago. She already knew she was an Angel and I had been a Vampire for over a century, by that point. But even still, Layla gave me the benefit of the doubt. I saw her kill Vampire after Vampire, but she never tried to hurt me.

"We fell in love and were secretly together for almost two years before...Well, I'm getting ahead of myself. Layla was paired to an Angel named John, just like you're paired to Kenneth." Eurydice looked at Felix as if he were crazy. "Being paired means that you and Kenneth are soul mates, in the eyes of God. You are meant to be together; that's why he followed you here�"among other things.

"Eventually, John found out that Layla had fallen in love with me, a Vampire. He gave 
Layla an ultimatum: stake me or die herself. Layla knew that if she chose her own death over mine, she would be damned for eternity. I watched Layla be dragged down into Hell. I can assure you, there are plenty of souls in Hell who were happy to finally get their hands on her.

"After she was gone, John tried to stake me himself. I killed him." Felix glanced over at Eurydice. Surprisingly, she was watching him with a curious expression. 

"What happened to Layla's daughter?" Eurydice asked.

Felix swallowed hard and said, "I killed John�"practically killed Layla, too�"so I made sure she got to someone else in the family. I watched over her from a distance until she was eleven or twelve; they were taking good care of her, so I left Maine. I haven't been back there since." Felix had been expecting Eurydice to think him a monster, but he felt her soft hand on his. He hadn't realized he was crying until she made him look at her, taking his face in her hands.

"Felix, Layla chose right. It is not your fault that that happened to her." Felix nodded. 
"Love is stronger than death," she continued. "Layla proved that."

"I know, and I still have love for Layla, but now..." Felix couldn't finish. Eurydice's lips lightly caressed his at first, but he pulled her closer, feeling as if they were one. The kiss seemed to last forever, but forever wasn't good enough.

Too soon, Felix heard a familiar voice. "What have you done, Eurydice?" Kenneth said, obviously infuriated.

"Kenneth, I�"" Eurydice started, but Kenneth pulled her up by her wrist, making her stand and look him in the eye. "Did he tell you what you are? What your duties are?" Kenneth asked angrily.

"Yes, he did. Now, let go of me." Eurydice jerked her wrist from Kenneth's grip.

"Eurydice, you have to kill Vampires, or you'll just keep getting weaker and weaker, until you fade away," pleaded Kenneth. "You'll lose your light, your wings. You will die. And God will not let you into Heaven, having abandoned your duties." 

"So, I'll kill Vampires. Just not Felix." Eurydice took Felix's hand; he had come to stand beside her.

"Then, I'll stake him." Kenneth pulled out a stake as long as his forearm. Felix tensed, but didn't release Eurydice's hand.

"Kenneth," Eurydice whispered. Felix saw tears come to her eyes. "Kenneth, please. I have never felt anything like this for anyone in my life."

Kenneth looked bewildered. "You barely even know the guy!" Felix didn't like the way 
Kenneth was waving that stake around; while Kenneth wasn't paying attention, Felix snatched it from him. Kenneth turned on him. "Give me that back!"

"So you can kill me?" said Felix. "No, thank you."

"Where are your parents?" Kenneth turned back to Eurydice. "Do they know you're hanging out with a Vampire?"

"No, but I'm sure they don't know that I'm hanging out with an Angel, either," Eurydice answered as she crossed her arms over her chest. "Let alone that I am one."

"They know all about what you are, and what I am," Kenneth said.


© 2014 Shawna


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Shawna, you have my admiration, I have now read 4 chapters, and find I would like to read more, and as I mentioned in my first review the "Twilight" vampire stories don"t hold a lot of interest for me, but your tale has caught my attention.
You are very good writing the speech for your character, I would like to see some more description of the places and scenes they are in, but that is a personal preference, it isn"t totally necessary for you to advance your tale at all.
Great work!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Shawna, you have my admiration, I have now read 4 chapters, and find I would like to read more, and as I mentioned in my first review the "Twilight" vampire stories don"t hold a lot of interest for me, but your tale has caught my attention.
You are very good writing the speech for your character, I would like to see some more description of the places and scenes they are in, but that is a personal preference, it isn"t totally necessary for you to advance your tale at all.
Great work!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

97 Views
1 Review
Added on April 26, 2014
Last Updated on April 26, 2014
Tags: vampires, angels, witches, fantasy, romance, love


Author

Shawna
Shawna

Newland, NC



About
I'm an Atheist. I don't believe in God, but I do believe in aliens. I love music. My favorite bands are Asking Alexandria, HIM, Black Veil Brides, Sleeping With Sirens, Pierce the Veil, Picture Me.. more..

Writing
Prologue (Sort Of) Prologue (Sort Of)

A Chapter by Shawna


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Shawna


Infected Infected

A Book by Shawna