Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Shawna

CHAPTER 2:
I must have fallen asleep, because I was woken up by Alex shaking my shoulder. I sat up slowly, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. Alex seemed freaked, so I tried be more alert. The fact was, I didn't really want to hear the undoubtedly bad news Alex was surely getting ready to tell me. Nothing about all this seemed to freak Alex, so when something did, it really made me lose my own nerve.
"What's wrong?" I asked Alex quietly. The digital clock said that it was almost two in the morning. We weren't supposed to be up at this hour, so we definitely had to be quiet.
"They took me to their headquarters, Kat. They told me that I have to do all this work for them. I have to infiltrate the system of other countries and tell them what they're planning," Alex answered.
"Why are you freaking out? That doesn't seem so bad."
"I'm freaking out because I got to see what the future holds for thousands of people. The ones they deem useless will be put to use." Alex said this as if I were supposed to know what he was talking about. 
I didn't like the way Alex said this. Put to use? What did that even mean? And what qualifies as useless? I asked Alex this.
"The Authority's term is Futile. A Futile is like, someone who is handicapped�"mentally or physically�"and the elderly."
"So, what are they going to do to put them to use?" I asked. I was a little afraid of the answer, but I wasn't about to let Alex know this. I wanted Alex to trust me like I trusted him. We were in this together, after all. He was stuck with me.
"It's called Utilization. The Authority is planning to use these people for testing. Like to come up with more bioweapons for biological warfare. Or inventing new torture mechanisms. That's what the pit is for." Alex swallowed hard. "Their bodies."
"Alex, they can't do that," I said. "That's..I don't know! It's just wrong!"
"Shh.." Alex put a finger to my lips. "You have to be quiet. And you can't let anyone find out that I told you any of this. If the Authority get's word that I've been telling their secrets, we'll both be Utilized."
"Why is this happening?" I asked Alex. He seemed to have all the answers, and he was the only person I could talk to. "How do we stop it?"
"To answer your first question, it's happening because they, the Authority�"Imperium�"wants it to happen. They said that it's because we're at war. We have to do our 'civic duty' and help the Authority and Imperium in any way we can. As for how we stop it: we don't."
"What do you mean, we don't? We can't just sit by and do nothing!" I realized too late that I had yelled. 
There was a knock on the door. Alex answered it, pretending to be half-asleep. "It's two-thirty in the morning. 
What are you doing awake?" the Authority asked.
"You just woke us up, Authority." Alex answered.
"Don't get snippy; I heard yelling." The Authority walked just inside the house and looked over at me. I had laid back down and pulled the scratchy blanket up to my chin.
"Maybe you're mistaken, Authority." 
"What's your name, boy?" 
"Alex Hemming, Authority," Alex answered. He was surprisingly firm.
"Well, Alex Hemming," Authority said Alex's name in a mocking manner. "the Authority is never mistaken. Understand?"
"Yes, Authority."
"Get back to bed. I'll be watching the both of you." With that, the Authority turned and left, slamming our door behind him.
The day went by slowly after that. Alex and I hadn't gone to bed, we just lay there in silence until time for breakfast. Alex had eaten quickly. Our breakfast consisted of one biscuit each and one egg each. As soon as Alex finished, he had kissed me on the forehead and left for what the Authority called work. I was left alone to sew, which I had no idea how to do. Either that, or do whatever the Authority thought up. If I was lucky, they would not bother me today. Or ever, for that matter.
I was still feeling pretty horrible about what Alex had told me early that morning. The fact that we were being held prisoners in a compound, forced to work or do whatever the Authority asked of us, and given almost nothing was disconcerting. Though it was not nearly as upsetting as the thought of those people who were being used as experiments. Those people who were being tortured. And for what? The sake of war? What had this country come to?
Yesterday, I had been back at home in Montana, relaxing after a long day at school. Now, where was I? I wasn't even sure of that. Where were my parents? Dead? Were they being tortured? Where was Callie? All of these questions and more were nagging at the back of my mind as I tried to teach myself how to sew. 
I pricked my finger and cursed just as I heard the knock at the door. I just knew it was the Authority, coming to ask something terrible of me. Instead of the Authority, though, I found a girl of about sixteen on the other side of the door. She had long blonde hair and freckles. Though she seemed nice enough, I wasn't sure who I could trust anymore.
"Hi, my name is Jo." Freckles said with a little wave.
"Hi. I don't think you should be here." I said cautiously.
"I know, but I don't know how to sew. Could you teach me?" Jo appeared scared, but I couldn't take a chance on getting myself in trouble. Anyway, I didn't know how to sew either. So, I couldn't help her, really.
"I don't think that's a good idea. You should go back to your house." I started to close the door, but Jo stopped me. I sighed. "I can't help you. You're going to get us both in trouble." I said.
"I'm sorry. I'm afraid of what they'll say if I don't do anything, or if I tell them I can't sew." Jo's bottom lip was trembling, and I knew she was about to cry.
"Just try to teach yourself." I said quietly. "That's what I'm doing. I don't know how to sew, either."
"Okay. I'll try." Jo said quietly. "Thanks." I waited until Jo was walking away before closing the door. 
It was mid-Spring, so it wasn't that hot. I considered leaving the door open for a breeze, but the Authority were always lurking around. I knew they could see me if they really wanted to, but keeping the door closed just made me feel like I had more privacy. Whether I actually did or not. Plus, maybe if I left the door closed, I wouldn't draw attention to myself.
At noon, it was time for lunch. The Authority announced over an intercom our instructions. We were to go the middle of the compound, stand in line and be served lunch in paper bags. We would have one hour for lunch every day. During this time, we could eat and spend some time outdoors. We were only allowed to be in the housing area. If anyone wandered to the other side, where the working took place, I had no doubt in my mind that there would be consequences. 
I made my way to the middle of the compound, following the trail of women, some as young as twelve years old. I saw girls that I had grown up with, girls that I couldn't even talk to now, unless I wanted to face the Authority. I was near the front of the lunch line. From here, I could see a little girl, probably twelve or thirteen, asking for more food. That wasn't a good idea. The Authority serving the food stood up. I held my breath.
"More?" the Authority asked domineeringly.
"It's just that�"" the girl started, but the Authority inturrupted her.
"Just that what? You think you're better than everyone else? Think you deserve more than all the other girls here in line?"
"No, it's just�""
"Leave my sister alone." I heard someone behind me say sternly. I turned to see an older girl of about seventeen. 
She was taller than her sister, but just as scrawny. 
The Authority laughed out loud, a shrill and haunting sound. "You know the rules, girlies. Don't disobey the Authority." Two more Authority came and grabbed both girls, leading them toward the Authority's headquarters. 
No one else said another word.
I got my lunch, which consisted of plain rice, an apple and a piece of meat about the size of a deck of cards, and headed back toward the housing area. All of the houses looked the same on the outside and, I assumed, on the inside as well. There was no grass, only dirt. There was also no sound, save for the noise of the factories and the quiet twittering of the birds.
I decided to sit a few feet from the fence to eat. From here, I could see the grass and the trees. How I missed being able to feel the soft, green grass around my feet, between my toes. How I missed life before the Authority, before Imperium. I missed my mother and my father, Callie and even all the little kids I thought to be annoying. I would give anything to be able to hear their carefree laughter again. No on laughed now; there was nothing to laugh about. There was nothing to enjoy, no reason to be happy. We were locked away like prisoners, as if we had committed some unforgivable crime. 
I missed Alex, too. Though I would see him later tonight, I was afraid for him. Alex was the only person I trusted here, and I was pretty sure he felt the same way about me. Then I had a thought: Maybe something good could come from the fact that Alex was working close with the Authority. Perhaps Alex could get more information that we could actually use against them. Or at least use to get out of here. There might even be a chance at finding my parents. 
This thought brought me hope as I made my way back to the house. I found the Authority waiting for me. There were two of them, sitting side by side on the one step that led up to my door. I felt a churning in my stomach. 
What could they want with me? I had not done anything wrong.
"Katerina Jonsen?" the bigger Authority asked, both of them standing. They were both taller than me, making them more frightening.
"Yes, Authority?" I answered, my voice shaking. 
"We're going to need you to come with us." The Authority grabbed me, one on each arm. They began leading me toward their headquarters.


© 2014 Shawna


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
Added on May 13, 2014
Last Updated on May 13, 2014
Tags: government, gov, new world order, imperium


Author

Shawna
Shawna

Newland, NC



About
I'm an Atheist. I don't believe in God, but I do believe in aliens. I love music. My favorite bands are Asking Alexandria, HIM, Black Veil Brides, Sleeping With Sirens, Pierce the Veil, Picture Me.. more..

Writing
Prologue (Sort Of) Prologue (Sort Of)

A Chapter by Shawna


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Shawna


Infected Infected

A Book by Shawna