Chapter 4- The Dark Lich

Chapter 4- The Dark Lich

A Chapter by NG-S

Chapter 4- The Dark Lich

I walked into The Dark Lich's throne room alone. This room is bigger than my fortress' throne room and has a higher elevated ceiling. The room is mostly dark, carved from what I assume is obsidian or some other black rock like material. Does marble come in black? It's cold yet smooth.

I'm not a rock expert so I wouldn't know. Even with gigantic glass windows the sky outside is stormy black. There is an occasional flash of lightning, but the light illuminating this castle is blue torch flames hanging on the walls. Visibility here is fine, I can see clearly.

I stand in the center of the room. Looking down at me from above are the Dark Generals, all of them have levels in the hundreds. Sitting on his throne directly in front of me was The Dark Lich himself.

His level was 800. He had rotten flesh, some areas had been peeled away completely and all that remained was bone. He smelled revolting, I'd vomit from the stench of his rotting flesh if I didn't turn off my smell settings.

The Dark Lich wore a black sorcerer robe. He wore a few gold rings with black gems. I could not read the names or stats of his gear, but no doubt it was all advanced-tier gear at minimum.

"Dragon, speak or perish."

The Dark Lich raised a hand, black smoke began to condense in his palm.

"I bring the Hero's head."

I pulled a bag out of my inventory and tossed it in front of me. Out rolled the decapitated head of the zombified Hero.

I had prepared this in advance. For as advanced as the Hero's A.I. I heard The Dark Lich was the most advanced. If true he'd be set to play out the role of the villain as best as possible and what villain wouldn't want to be presented with the Hero's head.

"Lady Elsa, how could you do such a thing?" The Hero spoke even in the state he was in.

"Dragons are signs of calamity. Why did you suspect any less?" I ask this pathetic Hero.

"You bore the mark of the chosen. It was your job to save this world from this fowl lich."

He's probably referring to my status as a player. This is a choose your own adventure game, I'm under no obligation to help him.

"This gift is most appreciated. I see you've even turned him into your thrall."

"That's not all."

I pull out a larger sack from my inventory and drop it on the floor. Out rolled the frozen heads of several players.

When we teleported to that teleportation zone there were other players who even at their low levels were eager to check out The Dark Lich's lair.

I of course helped them achieve a game over. Usually a player would respawn once losing all their HP, but certain skills can temporarily prevent that from happening.

For instance freezing one's head like this prevents the body from dissolving and if the body is still present the player can't respawn.. They'd have to wait until either the head is destroyed or an hour passes and it automatically disappears.

"Dragon, you've come prepared. What is it you desire from me?"

I drop to a knee and lower my head. "I wish to join your army, Dark Lich."

This must've been an amusing comment as several of the Dark Generals snickered or out right burst into laughter.

A brawny four armed Dark General pointed down at me. "You? Join our army? You're far too weak."

The Dark Lich raised a hand and his generals became silent. They knew better than to test his patience.

"Dragon, you show potential. I haven't seen a dragon myself in hundreds of years, where did your kind go?"

He must be confused as I'm technically a dragonoid and not a dragon. Whatever, I'll play along according to the lore.

"The dragons have left this world many ages ago. My kind flew away to other worlds."

"Then where did you come from, baby dragon?"

Baby dragon? I'm not that young, 16 shouldn't be considered a baby. Well I suppose most dragons are hundreds of years old so I would be considered a baby in comparison.

"Or should I rather say if I recall dragon hierarchy the color of one's scales signifies their faction. With purple scales like yours you must belong to the royal faction. With your stellar beauty perhaps you are the daughter of the dragon king?"

I think he just gave me an out, although being complimented on my looks by The Dark Lich brings me no joy.

"Yes, that is correct. I am The Dragon Princess."

"Ah… indeed it is true. Is that the humanification skill in use, dragon?"

"Yes, I possess the humanification skill."

Technically I'm not lying. Okay, it's misleading at best.

"You could become a powerful ally, unfortunately you're far too weak as you are."

At this I raise my head to look up at him.

"I've heard you possess a vast supply of Greater Level Potions. If I could have those I'd be strong enough to aid you, Dark Lich."

"She dares come here and demand our Greater Level Potions!" A Dark General bellowed as he slammed his fist on the upper floor rails, I'm quite surprised they withstood his attack.

"Calm yourself." The cool headed Dark General next to him said. "You don't want to upset our lord."

"She's nothing more than a child yet she demands our treasure!"

At that moment I pulled The Holy Sword of Light out from my inventory.

"I present this treasure in exchange, Dark Lich."

"Keep it." The Dark Lich spoke without giving the sword a second glance. "That sword is of no use to me, we are incompatible. I'll grant you the Greater Level Potions on faith."

I lower my head once more and place the sword back in my inventory.

"I thank you, Dark Lich."

"I'll share 125 Greater Level Potions with you, Dragon Princess. I'll also grant you some of my power."

He held his palm out toward me.

"Skill Share, Dark Magic and Touch of Death."

I could feel a change in my body as the skills were forcefully unlocked. I'm glad I was already kneeling otherwise I would've collapsed onto the floor. I was able to stabilize my balance until the pain passed.

These skills he gave me are impressive. I never knew there was a skill called Touch of Death, when activated depending on x factors it could cause anyone I make physical contact with to instantly lose all their HP. This skill's big drawback is that it doesn't work on undead opponents.

"Thank you for these."

I stand up, glancing at The Dark Generals from my peripheral vision. They wore stiff expressions. I can tell they are not happy with this outcome, but there is nothing they can do. The strongest of them is only level 650 while the weakest is level 225. Now with these Greater Level Potions I'll be able to reach level 150.

"These favors I have done for you do not come free. I expect repayment."

"Whatever it is you desire I shall achieve it."

"You still bear the mark of the chosen. Infiltrate their ranks and destroy them from within."

"It shall be done."

I bow my head to The Dark Lich. His request is impossible. I can't keep players from respawning. The best I can do is claim any rewards from significant quests to keep top quality gear and skills away from other players. There of course is no need to tell him this.

I grab the Hero's head and leave. I'm leaving the other heads because I don't need them. As I'm leaving the Dark General who scolded his tempered compatriot from earlier uses a flame skill to burn the remaining heads away. His attack leaves no remains nor does it leave a scorch mark. This castle was truly built to take a beating.

Those players will be able to identify me. I activate my humanification skill. It hides my dragonoid appearance, now I should be less identifiable.

As I'm walking out of the Dark Lich's castle I start using my recently acquired Greater Level Potions. I can only use one at a time and each only increases my level by one. Normally it would be extremely hard just to obtain one of these, but I knew that someone like The Dark Lich would horde them.

I've placed the Hero's head back in my inventory. Undeads under my Necromancy skill act like summons, I can store them away when they're not in use.

I pull my sorcerer's robe hood up. I can't change my hair color so it's best to hide it as much as possible.

Now I'm off. I'll visit one of the larger towns and join a guild. Without guild membership I won't be able to participate in quests properly. It's not that I won't be able to complete quests, but there are certain rewards only granted as guild rewards. With my superior level I'll be able to effortlessly complete the available quests.


© 2023 NG-S


Author's Note

NG-S
I'm making this up as I go with no greater road map. Its like what John Cena said in the role of Chris Smith- "FREEDOM!"

Chapter 5 will be out tomorrow, only one chapter tomorrow.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

66 Views
Added on March 10, 2023
Last Updated on March 11, 2023